Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Car audio novice in need of system advice.

JoshKorn12 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Car audio novice in need of system advice.

Hey guys, I just joined recently. It seems like you guys have a really knowledgeable group of people on these forums.

I currently have a 2007 Tacoma w/ Access Cab. I have a JVC KD-LH3100 currently installed. That is the only modification I have done to the vehicle.
    I was all set on picking up a set of Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 components until I read what you guys have posted about them.

The speakers have to be component, none of this 6x9 crap in the front. I live in a smaller town in upstate NY with literally 0 dealers for any of the higher end stuff near by. I have to make decisions purely on what you guys post about. Should I even bother upgrading the speakers in the back of the truck? If so, what should I put in there?

The Kappa's were going to cost roughly $150 per pair. I'm not sure if by pair they meant woofer/tweeter or if they meant 2 sets of each. I'm really new to the car audio scene, so bare with me.

I'm really flexible on price. I'd like the keep the costs under $500 if possible. I'm going to assume I'd need an amp for any component system I get. If that is the case, do I just need a two channel amp? If you guys think I should replace the rear speakers as well, should they be on the amp? If so, then i would assume I'd need a 4 channel amp. This system will have no subwoofer, so keep that in mind.

From the many many threads I have read so far, brands seem to include Phoenix Gold, Cadence, and probably a couple of others I can't remember.

A lot of the recommendations I have been reading about seem to be incredibly inexpensive. Both the Phoenix Gold and the Cadence sets I have seen recommended have both been under a $100. To me that seems extremely reasonable. I'm all about quality of product and I am willing to spend a little extra if it means a fairly good jump in quality.

Thanks for the input, guys!

-Josh

tee
    tee is offline You know

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Car audio novice in need of system advice.

When you said under $500, does that include amp, wiring, and possibly installation? Since you're absolutely not getting a sub, you should get some speakers with alot of midbass. Everyone who runs the Phoenix Gold RSd's here say it has plenty of that. I have never personally had them. Keep in mind with the RSd's, you will need an amp that will be at least 100W x 2, if not 150W x 2. No need to amp the rear, since you have a truck.

Speakers: http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-RSd...QQcmdZViewItem

Amp: There are plenty out there, so choose on that is around 150W x 2 if you're planning to go with the RSd's.

Wiring: http://www.knukonceptz.com/

Please only use this post as a guideline. I don't want you to get something that won't satisfy you. I am one of the dumb ones and there will be plenty others who should be able to help you out.

craigzter is offline erm..hello.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

didnt see, no sub..my bad

::Sold To:: Defconx3 :: blaze383(x3) :: FASTIMES :: bow125106(x2) :: KINGDELL91 :: blackdragonx118(ROE) :: fletch_1 :: Bassbumper15 :: RuLayd(s10forum.com) :: outspoken :: revrider1 :: Rashaddd :: farmerehsan :: 22mountaineer :: 2000gator :: Chin_Chilla :: chevyboy91
    =====
    ::Bought From:: 2002XLT :.: ReDemon :: blazinb2000 :: Bassbumper15 :: BushJ311 :: woofercooker :: 18inchjeepin
    =====
    ::Traded With:: spivey17323
    01 Chevy Silverado = v6 - 5spd - gray = 4/5 drop on 22s - system coming sooonnnn

skadude016 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

well there are 2 ways to go about this. you could do DIY components. or a box of components. Both are great choices. But with the DIY components you can really tweak everything to your liking. If you are just starting out I would go with a box set of components. How much power are you wanting to run and what kind of sound are you searching for?

HU:Kenwood Excelon KDC-889
    Speakers: CDT 61A's with rainbow x-overs
    Front amp: Autotek MM100.4
    Sub amp: (2) Audiopipe 1500's
    Subwoofers: (4) 15" Crunch GPV
    Box: 16 cubes tuned to 28hz (removable port)
    Extra Batt: C&D 139AH
    151.xx sealed up 154.xx in the kick

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tee View Post
    When you said under $500, does that include amp, wiring, and possibly installation? Since you're absolutely not getting a sub, you should get some speakers with alot of midbass. Everyone who runs the Phoenix Gold RSd's here say it has plenty of that. I have never personally had them. Keep in mind with the RSd's, you will need an amp that will be at least 100W x 2, if not 150W x 2. No need to amp the rear, since you have a truck.

Speakers: http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-RSd...QQcmdZViewItem

Amp: There are plenty out there, so choose on that is around 150W x 2 if you're planning to go with the RSd's.

Wiring: http://www.knukonceptz.com/

Please only use this post as a guideline. I don't want you to get something that won't satisfy you. I am one of the dumb ones and there will be plenty others who should be able to help you out.
    $500 is a total price for just equipment(not including install). I work at Best Buy and have come to know the installer that works there fairly well. He knows his stuff. I'm going to have him install everything for me. I'm going to get the mounting kit for the Tacoma from Tacotunes.com.

That being said, I can get the wiring/harnesses for pennies on the dollar with my employee discount.

Quote Originally Posted by skadude016 View Post
    well there are 2 ways to go about this. you could do DIY components. or a box of components. Both are great choices. But with the DIY components you can really tweak everything to your liking. If you are just starting out I would go with a box set of components. How much power are you wanting to run and what kind of sound are you searching for?
    By DIY I am assuming you mean buying the tweeter/woofer/xover separately. If so, when I looked at that it seemed to be fairly expensive. I listen to a large variety of music. Anything from Billy Joel to Linkin Park/Disturbed to Akon. I like to have a decent amount of bass for not having a sub. I love sound clarity. Having the best possible sound is will make up about 50% of my decision. The other 50% being price for that sound.

Thanks for the help so far.

-Josh

tee
    tee is offline You know

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshKorn12 View Post
    By DIY I am assuming you mean buying the tweeter/woofer/xover separately. If so, when I looked at that it seemed to be fairly expensive. I listen to a large variety of music. Anything from Billy Joel to Linkin Park/Disturbed to Akon. I like to have a decent amount of bass for not having a sub. I love sound clarity. Having the best possible sound is will make up about 50% of my decision. The other 50% being price for that sound.
    By DIY, he means getting the mids and tweets separate and going active, which wouldn't include crossovers. People don't normally mix-match crossovers with other speakers that were not meant to be with.

Since install and wiring is free, that should open up more options now.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So after reading many many more threads I felt that the PG RSD's were probably the way to go for a starter set. I ordered them from ebay earlier this morning.

I notice that they are only rated for 60watts rms. That being said, it seems like everyone uses a 120+ watt per channel amp. The question is, should I get a 120 watt per channel or spend the extra and get a 150 watt? I'm probably not going to do active crossover in this set up given my lack of experience with the subject.

Now, seeing how I won't even bother amping the rears, are they even worth replacing?

tee
    tee is offline You know

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What amps are you planning to get? And no, you don't really need to replace your rear, but could if you wanted to.

xxBURT0Nxx is offline Team Ramrod

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After learning from my mistakes If you want more power buy a bridgable 4 ch amp even though you are only using it for 2 speakers. The kicker zx350.4 can be had for around $125 + shipping maybe less and will do 175 wrms to each side. If you want something smaller you could buy a 2 channel amp. I have a kicker zx350.2 for sale and I could get that to you for 125 shipped. It will do like 110 or 120 to each side at 4 ohms.

Refs: straightchillin, bad @ss chevy, Echo42987, dye4metal, nate2587, ThomasG, nismos14, AK SloPok

Quote Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
    Just get over it my friend, the alternator does not charge the cap, period.

WB

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So I can get

Pioneer GM-3300T for $64.

or

Pioneer GM-5300T
    for $82.

or

Infinity REF475A
    for $105.

Are any of those worthy?
    All of those prices are new in box with MFG warranty intact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah but those prices are wrong, unless you aren't buying them from BB. I think you should just buy my kicker

Refs: straightchillin, bad @ss chevy, Echo42987, dye4metal, nate2587, ThomasG, nismos14, AK SloPok

WB

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xxBURT0Nxx View Post
    Yeah but those prices are wrong, unless you aren't buying them from BB. I think you should just buy my kicker

Employee discount is the best part of working at Best Buy

Those prices are set up through our accommodations program where we can order things directly from the MFG for a reduced price. Those are the prices when I order it directly from Pioneer or Infinity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got Ya!

WB

DejaWiz is offline Speaker Bee-otch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Out of those, the Infinity amp. Harmon Kardon FTW. You'll be starting off with a fairly decent 4 channel, so if you ever decide to do an active front sound stage, you're covered.

2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

Setting Amp Gains:
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/Den_of_Dragons/topic/508709/1/

References
    Bought from: jacobcopeland87, 95bat, alxmlr789, na_rsx

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you guys know of anything that Best Buy carries that would be better, let me know. I can pretty much get anything on their website. Even if it isn't something they carry, if the price is right I'll go for it.

I just don't really know what I am looking for. Like the infinity, it says it'll put out 170w when bridged, will that be too much for those speakers?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast