Closed Thread

Reload Thread: headroom junkies>ever send 175w rms to your older alpine type-r comps?

hott-nix is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

headroom junkies>ever send 175w rms to your older alpine type-r comps?

ive got the older (original version??) type-r spr-176a 6.5 components. got them brand new (i don't know how i manged to find a brand new set being that they are so old)
    ive broken them in over the last month with my head units power and am finally getting around to installing my kicker zx350.4 amp. they are rated at 50rms per side. i was planning on just sending the amps 60rms to each side (and 60 each to my rev coax in the back) but lately after hearing what you guys are sending to some of your fronts, especially the guys with the PG RSD's, i really want to see what will happen with these alpines. my amp will bridge down to two channel 175w rms per channel.

is that just too much for these alpines? i don't have alot of money to swap out the alpines if i don't have to.

tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: headroom junkies>ever send 175w rms to your older alpine type-r comps?

its tough to say. it all depends on how loud you listen and how much eq'ing you add in. but, i'd still rather send a speaker to much clean power than send them clipped power.

BTW, since you mentioned the rsd's, i have 5 times the power on tap that they are rated for (run active to top it off) and i listen pretty loud at times and they are fine. not sure if the alpines can handle it just as well though.

i'd say try it, but if you smell anything funky back off the volume very quickly.

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcguy85 View Post
    its tough to say. it all depends on how loud you listen and how much eq'ing you add in. but, i'd still rather send a speaker to much clean power than send them clipped power.

BTW, since you mentioned the rsd's i have 5 times the power on tap that they are rated for (run active to top it off) and i listen pretty loud at times and they are fine. not sure if the alpines can handle it just as well though.

i'd say try it, but if you smell anything funky back off the volume very quickly.
    i do often listen at pretty loud volumes. i generally tend to keep the eq flat, with a slight cut in the 3k-5k area (cant remember what its at right now) crossed at 80hz/12db. ive got only a 12db crossover in both the deck and the amp if that matters. my h/u does have the option to be put in 3 way active mode IIRC, but i dont know what kind of processing it does as ive never used it.

since you obviously have yours running right like that, is there any tips you can suggest for this working for me? haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hott-nix View Post
    i do often listen at pretty loud volumes. i generally tend to keep the eq flat, with a slight cut in the 3k-5k area (cant remember what its at right now) crossed at 80hz/12db. ive got only a 12db crossover in both the deck and the amp if that matters. my h/u does have the option to be put in 3 way active mode IIRC, but i dont know what kind of processing it does as ive never used it.

since you obviously have yours running right like that, is there any tips you can suggest for this working for me? haha
    a 12db slope for the high-pass is plenty. i run mine at 80hz with a 12db slope even though i also have an option for an 18 or 24db slope.

whats other tips are you looking for? i'll be happy to try and answer any questions you might have.

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well, i'm pretty much a newb when it comes to the high power stuff. the most power i've ever had to my fronts in the past is 50w rms. pretty average.
    do you have your doors sealed up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hott-nix View Post
    well, i'm pretty much a newb when it comes to the high power stuff. the most power i've ever had to my fronts in the past is 50w rms. pretty average.
    do you have your doors sealed up?
    yea having lots of power gets fun if you are into SQ. it really opens up the music. allows for cleaner, greater dynamics and obviously louder volumes.

and yes, my doors are deadened and sealed up very well. they are pretty darn quiet and it really strengthened up the mid-bass.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i started out in this hobby as a sq buff, then went more spl and now back to the sq side of things so this is right up my alley.
    my doors aren't sealed up yet, nor deadened. ive got 100sq/f of deadener coming for my front and rear doors alone and will likely seal them up when i do the deadening.
    well, i think I'm going to just go for it and see what happens

thanks for info/encouragement!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

let us know how it works out.

Beat_Dominator is offline Yea, thats Mecha Godzilla

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Just be safe. My Bostons are 4 years old have seen 80, then 150, now 200w per side. The other day I was playing a very heavy rock song pretty loud and I started to smell burning glue. You'd think I would have burned it all off by now

I know where the limit is now though, and I very very rarely play anything that loud for more than a few songs as it WOULD damage my ears.

Comming Spring 2009

I make rear-loaded, double crabshell, isobaric enclosures.

azbass is offline the salty ca.com mod

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

beat be clipping ahhhh

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well i got my amp in and all the wiring done as well as battery and chassis ground of the big three (i took my big three setup out when i thought i was selling my trailblazer)
    tomorrow i will run the speaker wire into my doors and play around with it.
    i was going to try and run active since i thought my 860 had that feature but i was wrong. i will need outboard processing, so i guess it's passive for now.

filtor1 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

I was sending 150/set before I upgraded and couldn't stop the tweeters from reaching their limits. After some heavy listening the mids would start to pop. I reset the gains to 90 watts and the issues were resolved.

Oh, and I now run over 400 watts per door.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well i tried to run at 175x2 today but i must not have grounded the rca's too well (or they came loose) cause i'm getting wicked alternator wine (**** pioneer decks)
    left it hooked up to the front channels with the gains off till i can tear into it again tomorrow and reground the rca's

sounds pretty good so far on whatever it's getting

Closed Thread

User Tag List