Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dynamat vs. fear of door-skin remove/replace

I want to install Dynamat in my car doors, just the front doors. However I have had some bad experiences with my old crappy cars such as all three camaros and the thunderchicken. Door skins come off, but they never quite stay back on.

Now I have an 04 altima 3.5 SE, the quality of the interior is better, but not great. I am having a lot of fear about doing the install myself, and there is no way I can to pay a professional to do the "inside-outside-then egg crate" job I'm looking for.

I work from home and my wife has a car I can use (stay at home mom), so I can take my time, a week or two if needed.

I looked at the walkthroug on the sticky, and it seems to deal mostly with dynamat adhesion techniques, which is great. However, my biggest fear is door panel adhesion! I need a walkthrough (one for 02-06 Altima would be great) on proper door panel removal and replacement. I looked at the altima forums and could not find one. I'll have to settle for a generic one, or one from another car type.

Can anyone point me to some walkthroughs or give me some tips on door panel remove/replace?

Thank you.

Immortal is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Dynamat vs. fear of door-skin remove/replace

Ill come back and give you more info on installation when I get a chance later today, but just quickly I would recommend looking at www.secondskinaudio.com instead of Dynamat. They are both great products but I use Second Skin because it is just as good or better than Dynamat but much cheaper.

NoobieAudio is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

don't be a wuss and do it. it'll be fine i promise just don't force anything.

NoobieAudio is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

btw 2 day max project not 2 weeks

Supergumby5000 is offline Project: F350 begins...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post
    I want to install Dynamat in my car doors, just the front doors. However I have had some bad experiences with my old crappy cars such as all three camaros and the thunderchicken. Door skins come off, but they never quite stay back on.

Now I have an 04 altima 3.5 SE, the quality of the interior is better, but not great. I am having a lot of fear about doing the install myself, and there is no way I can to pay a professional to do the "inside-outside-then egg crate" job I'm looking for.

I work from home and my wife has a car I can use (stay at home mom), so I can take my time, a week or two if needed.

I looked at the walkthroug on the sticky, and it seems to deal mostly with dynamat adhesion techniques, which is great. However, my biggest fear is door panel adhesion! I need a walkthrough (one for 02-06 Altima would be great) on proper door panel removal and replacement. I looked at the altima forums and could not find one. I'll have to settle for a generic one, or one from another car type.

Can anyone point me to some walkthroughs or give me some tips on door panel remove/replace?

Thank you.
    im sure deadening will be easier in the altima. Just make sure your deadening the INSIDE of the door panel (so the edge of the door panel isnt being pushed out because of deadener) and that you cut out spots around the clips so their wont be any interference there. As long as you do this you wil be fine. I have3 layers of raamaat BXT (which is thicker than dynamat) on my front doors and i got the panels back on no problem.

And please, if you havent bought the dynamat yet, use something else. Secondskin as reccomended above, or Raamat. Both are just as good if not better than dynamat, and run a fraction of the cost. Raamat can be found at www.raamaudio.com

Project: Avalanche V1... http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345189
    Project: Avalanche V2... http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432321
    Project: F350... Coming Soon!
    Need a box or box design? -EMAIL- me for info/quotes, do NOT send a PM
    my username @ hotmail.com

tsenfw is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Second skin damplifier pro ftw!

dragnix is online now LXIX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    655 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Supergumby5000 View Post
    im sure deadening will be easier in the altima. Just make sure your deadening the INSIDE of the door panel (so the edge of the door panel isnt being pushed out because of deadener) and that you cut out spots around the clips so their wont be any interference there. As long as you do this you wil be fine. I have3 layers of raamaat BXT (which is thicker than dynamat) on my front doors and i got the panels back on no problem.

And please, if you havent bought the dynamat yet, use something else. Secondskin as reccomended above, or Raamat. Both are just as good if not better than dynamat, and run a fraction of the cost. Raamat can be found at www.raamaudio.com
    raamat is not better than dynamat It is a better bang for the buck though

mcsoul is offline such is life

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You people rock, thanks! I found this demo on youtube, looks pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te-Oetp-Omw

I have not purchased the mat yet, but since I'm going into the door I might as well
    replace the crappy Clarion components with the Boston Pros or the JL C5's. I'm leaning
    towards the Bostons due to recommendations and cost, the question is can I trust sonicelectronix.com?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ics+PRO60.html

We'll see!

I'll also go with damplifier (or pro) or raamat; not dynamat.

thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    629 Post(s)

Maybe buy a clip puller if you are afraid of breaking the clips. It's a curved screwdriver looking tool with forks on the end. Also, if you do break any clips you can buy them at most parts stores. Most of the time broken clips are the reason for panels not going back on properly...solve that problem and you should be good to go.

Refs- DiabolicBass, nismos14,IonSQL,massiveaudiocw,sxpimpin,sundownz,8 7gr, nissan,Louie68,Tips,Trell,integra88,Ellsworthz,bas ebalz13,lil98cabrio,woofercooker,pro-rabbit,Louisiana_CRX,MANTI5,eL_wEEnIe,bubbagumper6 ,jco1385,95saturn,ace_800,micah_jones,assassin1840 ,beat-down69,RAM_Designs,whitedragon551,KTMrida4life

DanH is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post
    I have not purchased the mat yet, but since I'm going into the door I might as well
    replace the crappy Clarion components with the Boston Pros or the JL C5's. I'm leaning
    towards the Bostons due to recommendations and cost, the question is can I trust sonicelectronix.com?
    Sonic Electronix is an authorized internet retailer for several brands (including Kicker) so they're probably pretty reliable. They also have an eBay store if you want some extra protection.

I don't know what type of sound you like, but I'd go all over the C5's instead of the Pros. The Pro's unobtainium/kryptonite alloy tweeter murder my ears and you have to pump lots of power into them to get good midbass.

The soft dome JL tweeter has a fuller sound that won't screech your ears.

For that kind of money, you might try looking at the Hertz Hi Energy or whichever Morel is sold in that price range. If you do like hard tweeters, head for Focal. They do them the best.

But demo before you buy.

Closed Thread

User Tag List