Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

tweeter placement.

in my 07 civic, i have a tweeter spot with grille and everything from the factory. wierd, honda might as well put in factory tweets if they have a mounting spot and a grille and everything. anyways though, it is right under my windshield, would it be worth it to mount it there ? dont really wanna drill any holes =/

iDesignBoxes is offline This many.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: tweeter placement.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewibk View Post
    in my 07 civic, i have a tweeter spot with grille and everything from the factory. wierd, honda might as well put in factory tweets if they have a mounting spot and a grille and everything. anyways though, it is right under my windshield, would it be worth it to mount it there ? dont really wanna drill any holes =/
    There is a spot like that in my 1999 GMC Jimmy... I asked this question to someone else before and they said it really depends on whether or not your tweeters work well on or off axis. If they do work well off axis, then you will need to experiment with the location of the tweeters (you can do this by putting velcro on the back of them so they will stay and seeing where you like them best at)... after that, just mount them.

nismos14 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)

Get some detailed sharp tweets, they will soudn less harsh in an off axis position unless the deflection off the glass is really bad.

Car audio IS an addiction.
    C.A.A.A Member #1
    (Car Audio Addicts Anonymous)
    Refs http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278560-nismos14-feedback-refs-thread.html

andrewibk is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

well, i was planning on running PG RSD's.

ronjon228 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm running my RSD tweeters in the sails right now. Sounds great. I originally tried in the stock location (in the doors) but wasn't happy at all with the rainbow effect. I was used to the sails from my Infinity tweets so it may have been just something I wasn't comfortable with either.

But with the tweeters in the sails, using my old mounts to fab up some new ones, aimed at the driver they sound great. Sound stage is moved up nicely and no more rainbow effect. I used velcro and experimented with different positions as well. I'd suggest that, then mount them where you think they sound best.

- Source Unit -
    Pentium 4 1.8GHz
    Intel mobo w/integrated video
    512MB DDR
    SB Live powered by Kx w/full DSP control
    180GB HD (1x20GB OS, 1x160GB Media)

- Audio Hardware -
    Front stage: PG RSD 65cs Comps @ 80Hz - 24db slope (HP), drivers in the door, tweets in the sails
    Sub stage: Pioneer 12" 305DVC @ 80Hz - 24db slope (LP), sealed ~ 1.5 cube (net) in the trunk
    Comp amp: PPI Sedona APA630IX
    Sub amp: Alpine MRP-M500

andrewibk is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

"aimed at the driver" i got confused, like midbass - driver ? cause this is car audio for christs sake. haha but i got it now. whats the rainbow effect ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's were the sound seems to be coming from in front of you, but tapers off around the edges of the car. To me, with the tweets in the doors, my vocals and mainline frequencies sounded good (right in the middle, top of the dash). However, as the frequencies tapered off, they would seem to "fall" to the floor/kick areas. Made the sound seem like, well, a rainbow. You understand now?

- Source Unit -
    Pentium 4 1.8GHz
    512MB DDR

- Audio Hardware -
    Front stage: PG RSD 65cs Comps @ 80Hz - 24db slope (HP), drivers in the door, tweets in the sails
    Sub stage: Pioneer 12" 305DVC @ 80Hz - 24db slope (LP), sealed ~ 1.5 cube (net) in the trunk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

as always.. it's whatever you think sounds best. so try them in different locations until you're satisfied(with the velcro, so you don't have to drill holes all over your car), and then mount them. after a week or so you may want to move them again.

NoobieAudio is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronjon228 View Post
    I'm running my RSD tweeters in the sails right now. Sounds great. I originally tried in the stock location (in the doors) but wasn't happy at all with the rainbow effect. I was used to the sails from my Infinity tweets so it may have been just something I wasn't comfortable with either.

But with the tweeters in the sails, using my old mounts to fab up some new ones, aimed at the driver they sound great. Sound stage is moved up nicely and no more rainbow effect. I used velcro and experimented with different positions as well. I'd suggest that, then mount them where you think they sound best.
    what infinity's did you have?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

5000cs 5.25" comps. They sounded good, but no where near the RSD's. Granted I made some custom baffles to fit the 6.5" RSD 65cs in, but the difference is large. The RSD comps have WAY more midbass than the Infinitys ever could dream of.

I actually have my 5000cs set on Ebay right now.

- Source Unit -
    Pentium 4 1.8GHz
    512MB DDR

- Audio Hardware -

NoobieAudio is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

oh okay. i got a pair of the 6.1 perfects. wondering if i could compare them to the rsd'd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In all honesty, Infinity has great midrange and I've always liked their tweeters (some people don't like the brightness). However, I've always felt that most Infinity drivers lacked midbass. That's one area where these RSD's really blow away any Infinity driver I've ever heard or used.

In fact, I dare say I've never heard a driver quite like these RSD's. Granted I've not heard any really high end stuff, but the more I have this comp set, the more I love it. The drivers are really starting to break in and they get better all the time. Definitely good comps.

- Source Unit -
    Pentium 4 1.8GHz
    512MB DDR

- Audio Hardware -

Cannon98 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have 07 civic as well i mounted them a lil NW of the 6.5 door speaker about 4 in. from it. the only thing i didnt take note of is the door handle it actually interferes with my direct line of hearing to the tweeter so id keep it above if u can, honestly i should of put em in the dash to be ear level. now i havent put any components in the rear so i do still hear the rear deck moreso than the front so i had to fade +8 to the front to compensate till i do upgrade, running a pdx 4.100 to power my Focal components.

Fast1one is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know you don't want to drill any holes, but having the tweeters there has never really worked well (sisters camry was an example)...

If I were you, once you get the comps, install the woofers in the stock location (or kicks if you are going that route) and play with multiple locations for the tweeter(double sided tape FTW!). Get a nice long slack of wire coming from the crossover and try: Kick panels, A-pillars (about 3 inches above the highest point on the dash, firing across the dash towards each other), and as a last resort the stock locations...

A-pillars works best a good 80-90% of the time. Be sure to play with phase (tweeters especially)

References: Lax916, AcidicDreams , Altima98 , mr Tibbs, Majette, giantgloworm, mattmcss, riogigalo, mysilver02alty, Woc47, Hintzyboy, oglejust, APitBullT, foreman, jhubbell, tmcilroy, pioneerpimp, Dre_ATL

Plus a ton more I never added, lol. If you are not on the list and you had a pleasant transaction with me, PM me!!!

Closed Thread

User Tag List