Closed Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Reload Thread: strange power question

  1. #1
    tcguy85's Avatar
    tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hyde Park, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    strange power question

    not sure how to word this the best way, but from a speaker manufacturers stand point, what kind of power do they want you to run their speakers at?

    take the RSD65cs's for example. they rate them at 60 watts per side. does that really mean they want you to get an amp that does about 60 x 2?

    i'm not worried about my warranty(if i even had one) but i'm sure if i blew a mid or a tweeter or whatever and told them they were powered by a DD S4 ran active they would laugh at me.

    i'm not a noob BTW, this is a serious question.



    07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

    HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.




  2. #2
    damonhargroves's Avatar
    damonhargroves is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Prattville, Alabama
    Posts
    680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: strange power question

    youll need a 120x2 not 60 watts divided by 2 channels (if this is what you are asking...)




  3. #3
    tcguy85's Avatar
    tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hyde Park, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: strange power question

    Quote Originally Posted by damonhargroves View Post
    youll need a 120x2 not 60 watts divided by 2 channels (if this is what you are asking...)
    what are you talking about? where did you come up with that?



    07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

    HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

  4. #4
    JLMaster's Avatar
    JLMaster is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Jackson, Ms.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: strange power question

    Quote Originally Posted by tcguy85 View Post
    not sure how to word this the best way, but from a speaker manufacturers stand point, what kind of power do they want you to run their speakers at?

    take the RSD65cs's for example. they rate them at 60 watts per side. does that really mean they want you to get an amp that does about 60 x 2?

    i'm not worried about my warranty(if i even had one) but i'm sure if i blew a mid or a tweeter or whatever and told them they were powered by a DD S4 ran active they would laugh at me.

    i'm not a noob BTW, this is a serious question.
    Yes, Im 90% sure....



    (Just Completely Started Over!)
    HeadUnit: Kenwood eXcelon KDC-x889
    Front Stage: Crystal Mobile Sound SSX615
    Front Stage Amp: Kicker ZX200.2




    Refs: Team H&K, CLbolt, TeamPSI, JCO1385, Reson8

    Verified Paypal User!!!

  5. #5
    tcguy85's Avatar
    tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hyde Park, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: strange power question

    Quote Originally Posted by JLMaster View Post
    Yes, Im 90% sure....
    of what?

    btw, i posted this same thread over on diyma, always impresses me at the responses i get there compared to here.... http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ad.php?t=34272



    07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

    HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

  6. #6
    tsenfw's Avatar
    tsenfw is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    Posts
    1,383
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: strange power question

    If diyma impresses you so much why do you even bother posting here? lol

    Companies rate their RMS very very conservatively because they don't want to deal with warranty issues. Even really quality driver manufacturers will have conservative ratings when you know they can take some more: ex FI, RE, etc, etc.




  7. #7
    tcguy85's Avatar
    tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hyde Park, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: strange power question

    Quote Originally Posted by tsenfw View Post
    If diyma impresses you so much why do you even bother posting here? lol

    Companies rate their RMS very very conservatively because they don't want to deal with warranty issues. Even really quality driver manufacturers will have conservative ratings when you know they can take some more: ex FI, RE, etc, etc.
    idk, good question.

    but anyway, the companies should also realize their speakers won't sound anywhere near as good as possible with only their rated power.



    07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

    HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

  8. #8
    tsenfw's Avatar
    tsenfw is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    Posts
    1,383
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: strange power question

    Quote Originally Posted by tcguy85 View Post
    idk, good question.

    but anyway, the companies should also realize their speakers won't sound anywhere near as good as possible with only their rated power.
    meh, it varies upon driver. My pioneer revs respond well to lower power (60 watts rms or below) and sound really good. Like you I'm setting gain by ear. I know they aren't seeing near the 100 watt capabillity of my amp. They just don't seem to tolerate the power if I turn the gain up anymore. Probably right around rms or little bit higher. Nothing compared to the rsd's power handling I would assume.

    How much do you guestimate you are sending the rsd's?




  9. #9
    tcguy85's Avatar
    tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hyde Park, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: strange power question

    Quote Originally Posted by tsenfw View Post
    meh, it varies upon driver. My pioneer revs respond well to lower power (60 watts rms or below) and sound really good. Like you I'm setting gain by ear. I know they aren't seeing near the 100 watt capabillity of my amp. They just don't seem to tolerate the power if I turn the gain up anymore. Probably right around rms or little bit higher. Nothing compared to the rsd's power handling I would assume.

    How much do you guestimate you are sending the rsd's?
    i really have no idea. but i do know that my clip light on my S4 lights up for a split second every now and then. so i guess i am meeting the rated rail voltage for a split second at times.



    07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

    HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

  10. #10
    JLMaster's Avatar
    JLMaster is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Jackson, Ms.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: strange power question

    If you ask a question please remember it, your original question was "does that really mean they want you to get an amp that does about 60 x 2?"

    and to that, Yes, Im 90% sure.

    Now, I mean, you have some speakers, as stated before, that can obviously take more than what they're rated, but then you get into voiding warranties...



    (Just Completely Started Over!)
    HeadUnit: Kenwood eXcelon KDC-x889
    Front Stage: Crystal Mobile Sound SSX615
    Front Stage Amp: Kicker ZX200.2




    Refs: Team H&K, CLbolt, TeamPSI, JCO1385, Reson8

    Verified Paypal User!!!

  11. #11
    tcguy85's Avatar
    tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hyde Park, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: strange power question

    Quote Originally Posted by JLMaster View Post
    If you ask a question please remember it, your original question was "does that really mean they want you to get an amp that does about 60 x 2?"

    and to that, Yes, Im 90% sure.

    Now, I mean, you have some speakers, as stated before, that can obviously take more than what they're rated, but then you get into voiding warranties...
    i remembered my question. lol.

    who needs warranties???



    07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

    HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

  12. #12
    BrianChia's Avatar
    BrianChia is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Knoxville/Nashville TN
    Posts
    1,292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: strange power question

    Quote Originally Posted by tcguy85 View Post
    idk, good question.

    but anyway, the companies should also realize their speakers won't sound anywhere near as good as possible with only their rated power.
    You have to remember that all a power rating implies is that the speaker will be able to see 60W continuously without thermal or mechanical failure. It has absolutely no bearing or implication on what amp to use. Can the said speaker see more power? Of course it can, but perhaps not continuously. It can probably handle 120W without a problem in transients. But the manufacturer cannot guarantee this, so the claim is not made. When rating speakers, RMS is an average (root mean square) of the total power seen and it implies that the speaker can handle that amount of power continuously.

    Remember, when you hook up a speaker to a 120W RMS rated amp, the amp is never producing 120W RMS unless you are playing a contuous sine wave with the amp turned all the way up. Therefore, the speaker never actually sees 120W continuously. With a 120W RMS amp, the speaker may only be seeing 50W on average and up to 130W in transients. Still, most of the time the speaker will rarely see the rated power of the amp for long periods of time. Of course, that means that a 60W RMS amp will never deliver 60W RMS to the speaker, unless you are listening to sine waves.

    Also keep in mind that the overall response, distortion, and tonality of the speaker does NOT change depending on the power input. It is fairly constant (with the exception of thermal issues). So it is incorrect to say that the speaker won't sound as good as possible on less power. Technically it just won't be as loud. However, dynamics DO affect the perceived sound quality and amplifier power headroom is key here. A 120W RMS amp will typically have better dynamics than a 60W RMS amp if both are producing 60W RMS. Furthermore, a cheap 60W amp pushing 60W will run hot and distort more than a 120W RMS amp running cooler well below its threshold. You should ALWAYS consider an amp that will give you ample head room especially if you will be listening frequently at high levels. Contrary to popular practice, you don't have to be squeezing every last drop out of your amplifier at the lowest impedance possible. Instead you should buy an amp that is capable of more power than you need and drive it at moderate levels. This is especially true if you are trying to maintain sound quality at loud listening levels.

    So to answer your question, the power rating has little to do (at least directly) with what amplifier to use. It is a rating of how much power the speaker can see and should not determine the power capabilities or quality of your amplifier.




  13. #13
    tcguy85's Avatar
    tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hyde Park, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: strange power question

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianChia View Post
    You have to remember that all a power rating implies is that the speaker will be able to see 60W continuously without thermal or mechanical failure. It has absolutely no bearing or implication on what amp to use. Can the said speaker see more power? Of course it can, but perhaps not continuously. It can probably handle 120W without a problem in transients. But the manufacturer cannot guarantee this, so the claim is not made. When rating speakers, RMS is an average (root mean square) of the total power seen and it implies that the speaker can handle that amount of power continuously.

    Remember, when you hook up a speaker to a 120W RMS rated amp, the amp is never producing 120W RMS unless you are playing a contuous sine wave with the amp turned all the way up. Therefore, the speaker never actually sees 120W continuously. With a 120W RMS amp, the speaker may only be seeing 50W on average and up to 130W in transients. Still, most of the time the speaker will rarely see the rated power of the amp for long periods of time. Of course, that means that a 60W RMS amp will never deliver 60W RMS to the speaker, unless you are listening to sine waves.

    Also keep in mind that the overall response, distortion, and tonality of the speaker does NOT change depending on the power input. It is fairly constant (with the exception of thermal issues). So it is incorrect to say that the speaker won't sound as good as possible on less power. Technically it just won't be as loud. However, dynamics DO affect the perceived sound quality and amplifier power headroom is key here. A 120W RMS amp will typically have better dynamics than a 60W RMS amp if both are producing 60W RMS. Furthermore, a cheap 60W amp pushing 60W will run hot and distort more than a 120W RMS amp running cooler well below its threshold. You should ALWAYS consider an amp that will give you ample head room especially if you will be listening frequently at high levels. Contrary to popular practice, you don't have to be squeezing every last drop out of your amplifier at the lowest impedance possible. Instead you should buy an amp that is capable of more power than you need and drive it at moderate levels. This is especially true if you are trying to maintain sound quality at loud listening levels.

    So to answer your question, the power rating has little to do (at least directly) with what amplifier to use. It is a rating of how much power the speaker can see and should not determine the power capabilities or quality of your amplifier.
    nice!




    07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

    HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

Closed Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum