Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Reload Thread: Help! with PG RSD's

01 S 10 is offline LOUD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Help! with PG RSD's

I just installed my RSD components today and the sound was normal at first (very good imo) then after 15 minutes something went wrong. The right side sounds muffled for some reason. I checked everything i possibly could without actually changing amplifiers. all amp settings, all connections on x-over, made sure the tweeter and woofer were working individually....

I cant seem to get a clear sound out of it, i even switched channels to see if the other side would play bad and that would mean something was wrong with the amp, but the SAME side still sounded muffled...

??????
    Last edited by 01 S 10; 03-18-2008 at 07:03 PM.

-2005 GMC Sierra SLE crew cab
    -Pioneer Avic-d3, factory BOSE

01 S 10 is offline LOUD

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help! with PG RSD's

im going to try switching x-overs tomorrow just to rule them out. can they go bad and still work but sound bad? would these be my problem? I will also run all new wires, maybe something is pinched.

tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it's hard to say whats the problem is w/o being there and hearing it. sorry dude.

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

Bipolar is offline Certifiably Insane

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmm thats weird, I will be watching this thread cause I'm about to order 2 sets of those puppy's and want to know if there will be any issues with them..

01 S 10 is offline LOUD

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im going to try my other amplifier tomorrow just for kicks, very weird problem. Im assuming its a pinched/messed up wire somewhere... hmm..

can something go wrong with a crossover and still work/produce sound that is muffled possibly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

describe the sound... muffled is kind of vague.

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

01 S 10 is offline LOUD

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

they were clear and crisp like they should have been, then the right side starts sounding like a coaxial speaker that is maxing out or something (distorting some what), it plays every note, but it has way under half the quality the left side does. It is not as loud, and sounds like maybe interferrance or something. This goes for both the tweeter and the woofer. very weird. very noticable difference to the ear.

01 S 10 is offline LOUD

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcguy85 View Post
    describe the sound... muffled is kind of vague.
    tcguy85, do you still have your crossovers? im assuming your not using them since you are running active...

If i find out that its the crossover, would you sell 1 or both?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 01 S 10 View Post
    tcguy85, do you still have your crossovers? im assuming your not using them since you are running active...

If i find out that its the crossover, would you sell 1 or both?
    they are sitting around in my room not being used. i'll sell them to ya very cheap if ya need them. i have no problem gettin rid of them.

Pl8er is offline Can you solve it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ROFL...yep and THEN I read the rest of your post :P Sorry (me = retarded right now)

Have you made sure that the terminals are not making contact with anything? Pull the speakers and play them without being mounted.

NEVER buy from Dealer Cost Car Audio, ask me why

Rainbow SLC+Tru 4.65 + RF 3sixty.2 = yum.
    Quote Originally Posted by IamDeMan View Post
    Draw away. It has already been proven with math that you are wrong. I believe math is > paint last time I checked.
    "5 midgets spanking a naked man covered in thousand island dressing, is this love too?"

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull187 View Post
    FYI the blue wire was connected to something else. I know it was put in right b/c the guys at Circuit City put it in.
    "We never underestimate, the destructive power of change."

01 S 10 is offline LOUD

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pl8er View Post
    ROFL...yep and THEN I read the rest of your post :P Sorry (me = retarded right now)

Have you made sure that the terminals are not making contact with anything? Pull the speakers and play them without being mounted.
    thanks for the advice, im definetely going to pull everything out and go over it.

01 S 10 is offline LOUD

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well i went through everything again and tested each piece to see what the problem was, I narrowed it down to the tweeter. It plays.. but it is faint and throws the music way off which is why that whole side didnt sound right. I connected just the mids and both are identical. I connected just the tweeters... and the right side is not as loud and is kind of crackly. I am assuming the tweeter is blown/messed up? any suggestions?

edit:: also, i switched the crossovers to +2db instead of 0db after a short amount of time, maybe they needed to be broken in first before cranking them up? plus i dont think my 4-channel amp is the best, so maybe it was getting a clipped signal (but hey, it was free!). that probably didnt help the situation.

Pl8er is offline Can you solve it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 01 S 10 View Post
    well i went through everything again and tested each piece to see what the problem was, I narrowed it down to the tweeter. It plays.. but it is faint and throws the music way off which is why that whole side didnt sound right. I connected just the mids and both are identical. I connected just the tweeters... and the right side is not as loud and is kind of crackly. I am assuming the tweeter is blown/messed up? any suggestions?

edit:: also, i switched the crossovers to +2db instead of 0db after a short amount of time, maybe they needed to be broken in first before cranking them up? plus i dont think my 4-channel amp is the best, so maybe it was getting a clipped signal (but hey, it was free!). that probably didnt help the situation.
    How much power are you sending the speakers? (this may be above but I'm only just waking up LOL). Can you bridge the 4-channel to give more power?

Make sure your gains are right, don't send a clipped signal.

NEVER buy from Dealer Cost Car Audio, ask me why

Rainbow SLC+Tru 4.65 + RF 3sixty.2 = yum.
    Quote Originally Posted by IamDeMan View Post
    Draw away. It has already been proven with math that you are wrong. I believe math is > paint last time I checked.
    "5 midgets spanking a naked man covered in thousand island dressing, is this love too?"

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull187 View Post
    FYI the blue wire was connected to something else. I know it was put in right b/c the guys at Circuit City put it in.
    "We never underestimate, the destructive power of change."

01 S 10 is offline LOUD

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

my 4 channel is bridged, giving them roughly 125rms each, and i didnt have the gains un-usually high. I did have both crossovers at +2db which might have blown the tweeter idk. the mids still work perfect.

maybe i can buy a set of tweeter and just replace those and keep the PG crossovers and mids.

or does anyone have a RSD tweeter for sale?

01 S 10 is offline LOUD

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, i dont need any more help with the RSD's. My problem was in the wiring somewhere. I re-ran all the wires and everything works perfectly. I have the mid in the door and the tweeter still in the kicks. sounds beautiful, my ears are still ringing... I switched amps also to a 2-channel kenwood thats giving them 150 on each side at 4 ohms.

problem solved = hooray!
    Last edited by 01 S 10; 03-25-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast