Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Will this blow my speakers?

jriley3 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will this blow my speakers?

I'm new to the car audio, and I'm a little confused for the moment. Im going to get components for the front will run between 100-120 watts RMS each, and then i want to get cheap rear speakers as they dont matter as much, but since i am going to buy an amp, im going to want want that will Properly power the RMS of my components, (100-120 RMS) but all the rears i have looked at have 60-70 Watts RMS. Wont this mean my amp will overpower the rears and blow them?

Tips is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Will this blow my speakers?

Do yourself a favor and forget the rear fill. It just messes with the sound stage. You want the vocals and the highs coming at you from the front, and the bass coming at you from the back. Your ears will thank you later.

Not only that, but a chain is only as strong as the weakest link, and a sound system is only as good as the worst product. Cheap rear speakers will make the rest of your good quality parts sounds bad.

Use the money you would spend on rears and a 4ch amp to buy better front speakers, and a 2channel amp, and your system will sound MUCH better.

Tips is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And no, if you set the gains properly on an amp, you won't blow a speaker that is rated at a lower rms than the amp, but I'm not sure how that will work with with a 4ch amp.

jriley3 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok sounds good. your a genius. I was really wary of not getting rear speakers because In my old car, I used to fade it to the back so i could hear the surround sound a little better. But those were stock speakers and head unit. So you really think thats the way to go? Should i buy a 4channel and bridge them in case i decide to get rear speakers?

hoxie08 is offline i <3 drugs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it'll blow your mind.

Refs:
    DeViOuSoNe, lowriderram_95, jcee, wheeler8921, sampson, DaveT
    Chevyaudio, profundus-sanus, bds0688, revrider1, AudioXtremes
    jmanpc, vitveet, siacarman (x2), TeamPSI (x2), qtipextra, got_focus?
    FASTIMES, blackbonnie, Megalomaniac, Nate_100, PatFitz9, rmdl51
    dumpin907, 01 S 10

tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ditch the rears!

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

skrilla22 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tips View Post
    Do yourself a favor and forget the rear fill. It just messes with the sound stage. You want the vocals and the highs coming at you from the front, and the bass coming at you from the back. Your ears will thank you later.

Not only that, but a chain is only as strong as the weakest link, and a sound system is only as good as the worst product. Cheap rear speakers will make the rest of your good quality parts sounds bad.

Use the money you would spend on rears and a 4ch amp to buy better front speakers, and a 2channel amp, and your system will sound MUCH better.
    nicely put, x2

With the money you can save from buying a 2ch instead of 4ch and what you'll spend on the rearfill, put that towards a subwoofer/mono amp.

vario is offline digidash hit the gas...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just leave my stock 6x9's in the rear disconnected except when I rarely take out the sub box.

I do have a nice set of 25 year old 6x9 kenwoods that I should install at some point, they run at about 15 wrms each but should sound incredible and just run at low vol.

1995 Maxima SE
    Pioneer DEH P4900MP

cshaw is offline free the robots

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ummm your not suppose to hear the bass from the back. if you can tell were it is coming from then you have the low pass set to high. it personal preference really though. some people even add a group delay so it sounds like the bass is in front of you! not much to add besides that, just follow what has already been said.

Quote Originally Posted by James Bang View Post
    I think the earlobe curls helped the most. Less weight but more reps. It helped with the endurance to fight off ear fatigue.

Tips is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cshaw View Post
    ummm your not suppose to hear the bass from the back. if you can tell were it is coming from then you have the low pass set to high. it personal preference really though. some people even add a group delay so it sounds like the bass is in front of you! not much to add besides that, just follow what has already been said.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I was talking more speaker placement, you need the componenets in front of you. The higher a frequency is, the easier it is for your ears to pinpoint its source, bass should be the only thing in the back since your ears aren't as sensitive to low frequinces. But then again, you're right, it's all personal preference...

cshaw is offline free the robots

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the only real reason why the woofers are in the back is because the trunk/ hatch/ area has the most room for the woofers. cars are the only place you will find a sub woofer behind you. with the exception of beetles and higher end cars where the motor is in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by James Bang View Post
    I think the earlobe curls helped the most. Less weight but more reps. It helped with the endurance to fight off ear fatigue.

Closed Thread