Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Cerwin Vega V-MAX 65

Tiiimay is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cerwin Vega V-MAX 65

I recently installed a new set of v-max components into my truck. I'm powering them off a profile amp at about 60-80w per (estimate). So far they sound great, but they really have no low end to them at all. They dont seem to capable of getting around 120-200hz at all. i don't expect to have subwoofer like bass, i just expect to have some. Right not its up to my sub to cover a pretty broad range to get the right sound. I've been thinking the problem might be the stock crossovers cutting them off, but i wouldn't think the manufacturer would do that. I have checked all my head unit and amp settings to make sure nothing else is limiting them. Any ideas?

nismos14 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: Cerwin Vega V-MAX 65

Boost the eq.

Car audio IS an addiction.
    C.A.A.A Member #1
    (Car Audio Addicts Anonymous)
    Refs http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278560-nismos14-feedback-refs-thread.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have i boosted the low end but it didn't accomplish much. are v-max just not good on low end? Im only asking becuase my freinds that have stock component sets seem to get a solid amount of low end out of them considering there is no sub. But mine aren't even coming close to matching that. Its not important since i have a sub, but id much rather have some better blending through the low end.

DejaWiz is offline Speaker Bee-otch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did you check the wires for proper phasing? What is the HP filter on your amp set to? Is the HU's HP on? Are your doors deadened or sealed at all?

2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

Setting Amp Gains:
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/Den_of_Dragons/topic/508709/1/

References
    Bought from: jacobcopeland87, 95bat, alxmlr789, na_rsx

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i dont know what phasing is. the high pass on my amp is set to 100hz i believe and so is my head unit. my doors are not deadened or sealed in any way. now that you mention it that sounds like a good idea. how would i go about doing that?

nismos14 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Um seal the doors and deaden away, then lower the high pass to around 60 hz, see if that is ok, if the speakers distort turn down your gain or increase the high pass to 70 or 80.

Car audio IS an addiction.
    C.A.A.A Member #1
    (Car Audio Addicts Anonymous)
    Refs http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278560-nismos14-feedback-refs-thread.html

BrianChia is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How well is the woofer installed? It should be in a sealed or ported enclosure just like the subs themselves. There should be no leaks or gaps, no flimsy mounting or excessive flex, and it should be properly deadened. Also woofers do require proper airspace to achieve their full range of response. If the chamber volume is too small, low frequency output will suffer, just like in subwoofers.

Check the high pass filter too; you won't get true midbass from the woofer if it is set at 100hz. Try around 60hz.

DejaWiz is offline Speaker Bee-otch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiiimay View Post
    1. i dont know what phasing is.

2. the high pass on my amp is set to 100hz i believe and so is my head unit.

3. my doors are not deadened or sealed in any way. now that you mention it that sounds like a good idea. how would i go about doing that?
    1. Phasing means to make sure ALL the positive and negative speaker wires are going into ALL the proper positive and negative connectors. If one negative and positive get switched around, then you have a 180 degree phase, which could very likely impact the performance of the entire speaker stage.

2. Definitely start lowering the HP for the comps bit by bit to see what frequency allows the speakers to perform the best in terms of delivering midbass as well as blending with the sub. You'll also have to adjust the LP for the sub itself in conjunction.

3. Sealing can be a daunting task, but the reward is usually well worth the effort.... sealing up a door just means to close up all the big and small holes present on a typical inner door skin by using sheet metal or other material, like Plexiglas. Once this is accomplished, a layer of deadening can then be placed over the entire inner door skin, and not just on the surfaces around those holes (although just doing so can merit some improvements, as well).

2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

Setting Amp Gains:
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/Den_of_Dragons/topic/508709/1/

References
    Bought from: jacobcopeland87, 95bat, alxmlr789, na_rsx

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hm. i didnt realize speakers where as inclosure dependent as subs. Thanks for all the tips. I'll work on all that and i bet that will fix it right up. thanks alot everyone.

grampi is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I haven't heard these speakers, but I would guess the fact that your doors aren't sealed/deadened and low power are probably the major contributors to your problem. These speakers would probably sound much better on 120-150 watts per side.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ive got the power to do that but they end up being way to loud with that kind of power. maybe if i turn up the low end and cut back the high on my eq with more watts it'll just get the low end louder? i think i really just need to play around with **** untill i get it sounding how i want it.

grampi is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiiimay View Post
    ive got the power to do that but they end up being way to loud with that kind of power. maybe if i turn up the low end and cut back the high on my eq with more watts it'll just get the low end louder? i think i really just need to play around with **** untill i get it sounding how i want it.
    FWIW, I was never able to get any decent midbass performance from any of the mids I've used until I deadened my doors. You can try to EQ the problem away, but if you can't, I'd say your doors probably need to be sealed and deadened.

UCF52 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    I haven't heard these speakers, but I would guess the fact that your doors aren't sealed/deadened and low power are probably the major contributors to your problem. These speakers would probably sound much better on 120-150 watts per side.
    This man speaks the truth.

Closed Thread