Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Comps for under $300 - Coming from Focal Access Set

katodevin is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Comps for under $300 - Coming from Focal Access Set

I had a 6.5 Focal Access set of comps in my old car, and was totally happy with them. Running them off of a 880prs in passive mode with 125w RMS. Got a new car, and was looking to make a step up. Seems like the Focal Access sets are not too popular on here, and wanted some advice on something that would wow me.

I listen to mostly fast rock/punk music, as well as electronic/dance. I don't listen much to hip-hop at all. I'm going to be putting 125w RMS to them, although I don't blast music that loud at all. I have heard some of the MB Quart high ends, and they are too harsh for my liking. I would stay with the Focal brand, as I was happy with the Access series, but am afraid that the higher end models will be too harsh.

LaserRed38 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Comps for under $300 - Coming from Focal Access Set

Hertz, Rainbow, CDT, etc...

2005 Escape XLT Sport
    Alpine CDA-9835 - Audison LRx5.1k - Hertz MLK 2 TM - Hertz ML1600 - Hertz HX300
    Audison Wiring - Optima Red Top - Dynamat Extreme
    Refs
    [Bought from] dcmcki, 90accordman, MikeyB, itzme218, redcalimp5, SVT_RELAMPAGO, Johnny_Drama, RollinGTO, Fast1One, tc3k101, ramk1018, Brian_Smith06, John_Pionke, BigOso, TeamPSI, pickup1, PatFitz9, pro-rabbit, oldschoolboomer
    [Sold to] darqnez, tipnitty, Mugatu0, MrChow, nineball, SocialStealth, macq32, .livin.loud., slappinX, GlassEyez, Jeremy M, Honez
    [Traded with] James Bang, MovnZ28

kmanian is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

rainbow

Mine is bigger than yours!

lostdaytomorrow is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why would a higher end model be too harsh? There's attenuating on the tweets on the higher end sets.

References: Vitveet x2, massiveaudiocw, n00b, darren700, Beerdrnkr, brchd, Mr. C, Raamaudio, h8ter, cman9012, Millertime1028, Teamsubgopoof, ABSOLUTEAUDIO, DB_DRAG_SPL, ls2poweredgoat, RyanM923, Worstenemy453, Connersdad19, pickup1, wgsj_fortvalley, ellocojorge

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LaserRed38 View Post
    Hertz, Rainbow, CDT, etc...
    Can you give me examples of models from those manufacturers that would fit into my range?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hertz HSK 165, Rainbow SLC 265 Kicks, and for CDTs, PM Exige about those...he is a dealer. What amp are you using? If you want to meet up sometime, you can listen to my comps. They are currently running passive off the front two channels of my amp (birthed at 104w a channel), but I have a US Amps AX5600 on the way and I will be running them active. I don't have a sub right now so it would be easier to audition them this way. I actually just switched the tweets to 0db from -3 and they are now a little bright...before they were perfect so I'm going back out to put them back. What kind of car do you have btw?

2005 Escape XLT Sport
    Refs
    [Bought from] dcmcki, 90accordman, MikeyB, itzme218, redcalimp5, SVT_RELAMPAGO, Johnny_Drama, RollinGTO, Fast1One, tc3k101, ramk1018, Brian_Smith06, John_Pionke, BigOso, TeamPSI, pickup1, PatFitz9, pro-rabbit, oldschoolboomer
    [Sold to] darqnez, tipnitty, Mugatu0, MrChow, nineball, SocialStealth, macq32, .livin.loud., slappinX, GlassEyez, Jeremy M, Honez

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

LaserRed38: Thanks so much for the direction. I'm not totally decided on the amp, but I expect to be pushing ~ 125 RMS to each corner. I went a bit budget on my last system, and got a Power Acoustik (I know, I know), which actually worked totally fine for me. I didn't have to turn the gains up that much at all since I don't listen to my music that loud.

I just got a 08 Accord coupe, waiting for a dash kit to be released so I can put my old system back in. The only parts I need are the front components and amp. My drive every day is torture listening to the crappy stock system.

In my previous car, I had my Focal access' mounted a bit off axis, and had them @ -3 on the passive crossover. They were definately not too bright at that setting, although many people complain about Focal's being much too harsh. I've auditioned MB Quart Premium series, which was waaay too harsh for me, even at the most attenuating crossover setting. So I'm a bit apprehensive about jumping into just any comp set without some advice.

I'll def do some reasearch on those comps you sugguested. What kind of music do you usually listen to? Any reason you aren't running a sub? Can you sugguest any place with good prices on the Hertz and Rainbows?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't stand harsh tweets FYI. Most of the MBQ systems I have heard were harsh. And as far as Focals, IMO the higher end they get, the smoother they are. I didn't really like the Access line, and I would consider my CDTs just a notch above the Polyglass line. So you don't have the Focals anymore then? Nice choice on the new Accord....you might want to consider a RF 360 or JL Cleansweep-type processor and keep the factory HU. Just a suggestion. 6spdcoupe on here is a dealer for Hertz/Audison. I'm sure there is a Rainbow dealer on here too, but I forgot who it is. I've personally never heard Rainbows, but they get awesome reviews on here. BTW, I'm not running a sub because I sold my 2 10" Type Rs. I had them in a 1.5 ft^3 box (.75 each) sealed and a)didn't like the sound sealed; b) wanted to go with a smaller single sub set-up because I got a rear shock tower brace and I wanted the new box to go behind it (the old box extended past the towers). So I've basically re-done my entire system just for that brace. To audition more Focal/Genesis/Hertz stuff, Sound Innovations in Hayward is a good place. Expensive though, I have bought a bunch of stuff from them. High-end shop (25+ cars featured in Car Audio mag). Ernie is the owner. Really nice guy, but I just can't afford dropping thousands on audio at this point in my life. So what does the rest of the system consist of? Are you going to stay passive or go active? I would do a nice 3-way set up in that new car. 6ch for those, and then a nice 10 or 12 with a matching mono amp. Would be nice with one of those processors I listed also...

2005 Escape XLT Sport
    Refs

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

LaserRed38:

Yup, Focals are gone, didn't take the time to yank them out of the old car before trading it in. You saying that you didn't like the Access series so much is a bit exciting, since if I was happy with it, I can't imagine how happy I'll be with something better. Which model CDT are you running right now?

As for the cleansweep, or other processing units, its something I'd really like to stay away from. I already have the 800prs, and I've been extremely happy with it and its flexability. The time delay functions and the BBE feature have been particularly impressive to me, as I usually ignore all types of audio processing. I still ignore the loudness and compression settings though. While the cleansweep and others may be nice, I don't think that they are a full replacement for a full-on SQ deck.

I'm running a 12 inch type-r in a sealed cube with poly fill in it. I don't listen to heavy bass stuff much, and have been very happy with it. The box may be a bit undersized for the speaker, but like I said, I don't need anything boomy.

As for the passive vs active dillema. Right now, I'm leaning a bit towards staying passive. Against most of the audiophiles here, I enjoy having a LITTLE rear fill, and I do have passengers in my car sometime. I do not want to lose my ability to fade foward to back, or have to run no speakers in the rear. Having a 3 way system is incredibly enticing, and something that I've heavily thought of, but it seems a bit of a large undertaking that I don't have the time for.

I'll def get in touch with that Hertz dealer you listed. Appreciate the advice a lot.

kmanian is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

someone is selling some slc 365 kicks in the classifides, very nice set for the money, you may want to check it out I think they were like $200 shipped or something like that.

Mine is bigger than yours!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No problem man. I'm basically running the ES-620s right now. The new mids look identical to my old ones except for the color of the basket. The 880prs is a really nice unit, and should look really good with the rest of the interior when there is a dash kit available. I'm surprised you like your Type-R sealed...maybe the poly-fill helped. I think a nice 5ch amp would really suit you if you want to keep rear fill. JL 500/5 would be really good. I think there is one in the Classifieds for like $300 or something. It does 125x2 for the fronts and 25x2 for the rears, and then 250 for the sub. I know that is too little for the Type-R, but I would save up and get a better SQ sub myself (which is exactly what I am doing....). Really nice system would be the 500/5, whatever components you decide on and then a 10W6v2. Little underpowered on the sub, but it would still sound really good and get decently loud if you went ported...Many other choices (less expensive ones) than the W6 for SQ though...FYI

2005 Escape XLT Sport
    Refs

blazed54 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lostdaytomorrow View Post
    Why would a higher end model be too harsh? There's attenuating on the tweets on the higher end sets.
    I'm running my Mb Quart QSD 216 at -6db on the crossover and -2 on the hu for treble....Still too harsh! haha so i just put in my order for Rainbow SLC 256 Kicks. Can't wait

Cannon98 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

where do we buy the rainbow kicks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

where do we buy the rainbow kicks? what online websites? they better than focal 265 v1?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sorry for double post accident

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast