Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Reload Thread: Need Bass w/ no sub!

  1. #1
    drzenitram's Avatar
    drzenitram is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wichita
    Posts
    234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Need Bass w/ no sub!

    So I'm going to be buying a Honda Fit soon. The fit is really stinkin' sweet because it has tons of room in the back and has a lot of configurations for space.

    I'd like to maintain that amount of space. My speaker size options are 6.5"(4) all around in the front and the back.

    I'm thinking I'm going to buy Alpine Type X Ref series 6.5" for the front since I absolutely love the tweeter and they produce pretty decent midbass and my dilemma is what I'll get for the back speakers. I'm thinking I'm going to run an Elemental Designs NINe.4 with them.

    Now, what rear speaker 6.5" size(probably going coax) will produce good enough midbass that I won't be crying for a subwoofer?



    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse 10th Anniversary
    HU: Kenwood MP-4028
    Subwoofer: Diamond M6MKII 10d2
    Sub Amp: Viper d1200.1
    Components: Rainbow 165SLX
    Comp. Amp: eD NiNe.2
    Components mounted into Q-Logic Q-forms
    Battery: Optima Redtop
    "Disk Changer": Creative Zen Vision:M 30gb Media Player




  2. #2
    dman4486's Avatar
    dman4486 is offline Paid to Post



    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Central, SC
    Posts
    9,321
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Need Bass w/ no sub!

    Quote Originally Posted by drzenitram View Post
    So I'm going to be buying a Honda Fit soon. The fit is really stinkin' sweet because it has tons of room in the back and has a lot of configurations for space.

    I'd like to maintain that amount of space. My speaker size options are 6.5"(4) all around in the front and the back.

    I'm thinking I'm going to buy Alpine Type X Ref series 6.5" for the front since I absolutely love the tweeter and they produce pretty decent midbass and my dilemma is what I'll get for the back speakers. I'm thinking I'm going to run an Elemental Designs NINe.4 with them.

    Now, what rear speaker 6.5" size(probably going coax) will produce good enough midbass that I won't be crying for a subwoofer?
    tangband ftw



    Auto: 96 honda passport 3.2L v6 4X4 5sp
    Big 3 pics--THE MAV--THE RSD's--MY VLX
    Rices Creek Pics

    Refs: Sold to; lilmaniac2, alexdbest2000, jshak07 Bought from; CJL

  3. #3
    thegreatestpenn's Avatar
    thegreatestpenn is offline lazy genius



    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    columbus
    Posts
    9,276
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    10
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

    Re: Need Bass w/ no sub!

    there are 6" subs, but they require a true IB configuration. If that cannot be achieved the drivers and response will suffer. Some also switch to 8's to get more response on the low end, but having the space for them may be tough in that vehicle.



    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/401249-thegreatestpenn-feedback-thread.html
    2k2 honda civic
    summer build
    audison sr4 on focal polyglass 165vb components active
    soundstream rubi1.2500d on dc lvl4 xl 18
    pioneer deh-80prs


  4. #4
    exige's Avatar
    exige is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    835
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Need Bass w/ no sub!

    try a CDT M6+ if you can deaden the heck out of the rear panels. tang band is also a good option as previously mentioned.



    Authorized Online CDT Audio Dealer


  5. #5
    skateboardkid's Avatar
    skateboardkid is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ashland oregon
    Posts
    1,430
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Need Bass w/ no sub!

    Check out parts express
    6.5" and 7" Tangband subwoofers they have between 9.5 and 12-13 mm of useable throw, not sure how they are gonna work IB though.




  6. #6
    drzenitram's Avatar
    drzenitram is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wichita
    Posts
    234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Need Bass w/ no sub!

    Quote Originally Posted by skateboardkid View Post
    Check out parts express
    6.5" and 7" Tangband subwoofers they have between 9.5 and 12-13 mm of useable throw, not sure how they are gonna work IB though.
    those CDTs are beautiful but I think they're a bit out of my price range.

    do the tangbands have to be used in IB? Or can they be mounted like a 6.5" coaxial?



    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse 10th Anniversary
    HU: Kenwood MP-4028
    Subwoofer: Diamond M6MKII 10d2
    Sub Amp: Viper d1200.1
    Components: Rainbow 165SLX
    Comp. Amp: eD NiNe.2
    Components mounted into Q-Logic Q-forms
    Battery: Optima Redtop
    "Disk Changer": Creative Zen Vision:M 30gb Media Player

  7. #7
    dman4486's Avatar
    dman4486 is offline Paid to Post



    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Central, SC
    Posts
    9,321
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Need Bass w/ no sub!

    Quote Originally Posted by drzenitram View Post
    those CDTs are beautiful but I think they're a bit out of my price range.

    do the tangbands have to be used in IB? Or can they be mounted like a 6.5" coaxial?
    believe they are made for ib



    Auto: 96 honda passport 3.2L v6 4X4 5sp
    Big 3 pics--THE MAV--THE RSD's--MY VLX
    Rices Creek Pics

    Refs: Sold to; lilmaniac2, alexdbest2000, jshak07 Bought from; CJL

  8. #8
    ebrunn's Avatar
    ebrunn is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Need Bass w/ no sub!

    That car has plenty of room for a single 10 sub in the back.



    refs: 6spdcoupe , BALDEAGLE57

  9. #9
    drzenitram's Avatar
    drzenitram is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wichita
    Posts
    234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Need Bass w/ no sub!

    Quote Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post
    That car has plenty of room for a single 10 sub in the back.
    I agree, but I don't want to put a single 10 sub in the back. :-/ It's more space than I want to use up, in fact I was having trouble deciding where I'd even mount an amp.



    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse 10th Anniversary
    HU: Kenwood MP-4028
    Subwoofer: Diamond M6MKII 10d2
    Sub Amp: Viper d1200.1
    Components: Rainbow 165SLX
    Comp. Amp: eD NiNe.2
    Components mounted into Q-Logic Q-forms
    Battery: Optima Redtop
    "Disk Changer": Creative Zen Vision:M 30gb Media Player

  10. #10
    galacticmonkey's Avatar
    galacticmonkey is offline Wants a button like that.



    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    7,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Need Bass w/ no sub!

    Midbass isnt bass....

    Two different frequency ranges.

    For subbass, you need a subwoofer.




  11. #11
    LaserRed38's Avatar
    LaserRed38 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Need Bass w/ no sub!

    That car also has plenty of space of a shallow mount 8 or 10 or 12. All in the install.



    2005 Escape XLT Sport
    Alpine CDA-9835 - Audison LRx5.1k - Hertz MLK 2 TM - Hertz ML1600 - Hertz HX300
    Audison Wiring - Optima Red Top - Dynamat Extreme
    Refs
    [Bought from] dcmcki, 90accordman, MikeyB, itzme218, redcalimp5, SVT_RELAMPAGO, Johnny_Drama, RollinGTO, Fast1One, tc3k101, ramk1018, Brian_Smith06, John_Pionke, BigOso, TeamPSI, pickup1, PatFitz9, pro-rabbit, oldschoolboomer
    [Sold to] darqnez, tipnitty, Mugatu0, MrChow, nineball, SocialStealth, macq32, .livin.loud., slappinX, GlassEyez, Jeremy M, Honez
    [Traded with] James Bang, MovnZ28

  12. #12
    redrider13's Avatar
    redrider13 is offline is stealin yur deebeez



    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    VA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Need Bass w/ no sub!

    The sub doesn't take up much room at all. My friend has Fit with a Type R & kenwood amp in a small ported box (sorry don't know specs its some $100 fancy looking one from bestbuy, ewww, he's not a diy'er). It makes that little car bump. The rear view mirror moves around so much he can never crank it unless he doesnt want to use his rear view. You could mount the amp to the underside of the left seat, I believe there is enough room to fit an amp under there and still be able to fold the seats down. Or you could just mount it on the back of the seat. Its your choice, the sub really doesnt take up as much room as you think. You just gotta get a smaller enclosure (unfortunately).




  13. #13
    drzenitram's Avatar
    drzenitram is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wichita
    Posts
    234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Need Bass w/ no sub!

    Quote Originally Posted by redrider13 View Post
    The sub doesn't take up much room at all. My friend has Fit with a Type R & kenwood amp in a small ported box (sorry don't know specs its some $100 fancy looking one from bestbuy, ewww, he's not a diy'er). It makes that little car bump. The rear view mirror moves around so much he can never crank it unless he doesnt want to use his rear view. You could mount the amp to the underside of the left seat, I believe there is enough room to fit an amp under there and still be able to fold the seats down. Or you could just mount it on the back of the seat. Its your choice, the sub really doesnt take up as much room as you think. You just gotta get a smaller enclosure (unfortunately).
    yeah man, I'm thinking I'm gonna get an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10d VQ, I've heard they're sick in a .75ft^3 sealed box and I can do that with something like 12"x12"x12" which is pretty tiny.

    I'm gonna mount the amp under one of the seats, as I hear it folds down just fine even with an amp mounted. Also, I'll put on some easy-disconnect connectors so that if I ever have to load a lot of stuff into the car I can just pull the sub out, scoot the wires back and have all of my trunk space.

    With an application like this, how would you guys keep the sub from moving in the back?



    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse 10th Anniversary
    HU: Kenwood MP-4028
    Subwoofer: Diamond M6MKII 10d2
    Sub Amp: Viper d1200.1
    Components: Rainbow 165SLX
    Comp. Amp: eD NiNe.2
    Components mounted into Q-Logic Q-forms
    Battery: Optima Redtop
    "Disk Changer": Creative Zen Vision:M 30gb Media Player

  14. #14
    LaserRed38's Avatar
    LaserRed38 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Need Bass w/ no sub!

    Ok, if you're going to go for it, you can get better equipment for the money. What's your budget, what kind of music do you listen to?



    2005 Escape XLT Sport
    Alpine CDA-9835 - Audison LRx5.1k - Hertz MLK 2 TM - Hertz ML1600 - Hertz HX300
    Audison Wiring - Optima Red Top - Dynamat Extreme
    Refs
    [Bought from] dcmcki, 90accordman, MikeyB, itzme218, redcalimp5, SVT_RELAMPAGO, Johnny_Drama, RollinGTO, Fast1One, tc3k101, ramk1018, Brian_Smith06, John_Pionke, BigOso, TeamPSI, pickup1, PatFitz9, pro-rabbit, oldschoolboomer
    [Sold to] darqnez, tipnitty, Mugatu0, MrChow, nineball, SocialStealth, macq32, .livin.loud., slappinX, GlassEyez, Jeremy M, Honez
    [Traded with] James Bang, MovnZ28

  15. #15
    drzenitram's Avatar
    drzenitram is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wichita
    Posts
    234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Need Bass w/ no sub!

    Quote Originally Posted by LaserRed38 View Post
    Ok, if you're going to go for it, you can get better equipment for the money. What's your budget, what kind of music do you listen to?
    Well, I just heard that that specific driver sounds excellent in a small box. I'm looking to spend probably $200 on the sub, I was thinking about the RL-i 10". I absolutely loved my 15" RL-p.

    Not sure what amp I'll go with. I'm probably going to end up with a NINe.5.



    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse 10th Anniversary
    HU: Kenwood MP-4028
    Subwoofer: Diamond M6MKII 10d2
    Sub Amp: Viper d1200.1
    Components: Rainbow 165SLX
    Comp. Amp: eD NiNe.2
    Components mounted into Q-Logic Q-forms
    Battery: Optima Redtop
    "Disk Changer": Creative Zen Vision:M 30gb Media Player

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum