Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Reload Thread: 8" mids in doors

  1. #1
    RyanH's Avatar
    RyanH is offline Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Icon32 8" mids in doors

    Question..........

    I have two 8" Whip Audio Mids going in each door on my 00 Hombre.

    I want to make sure they hit the lows real good. they are rated at 60-6k hz i think....

    i am going to cross them over from 60-3000, my tweets from 2500-16k, and my subs from 70 and down....

    my question is, if i enclose the mids will they sound better and hit the lows better?

    thanks!

    and what size encloser should i do?







  2. #2
    krisfnbz's Avatar
    krisfnbz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Frederick MD
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,506
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

    Re: 8" mids in doors

    Do you have your doors fully dynamated?



    Yes that is a 5 1/4th audiobahn mid speaker in my civic's headrest. circa 2006.

    2000 Celica GTS

    Pioneer FH-X700BT
    Powerbass 2XL-60.3C 3 way
    Dayton Ultimax 15", sealed 4cuft
    Memphis 16-MC5.700 5 channel
    Knu wiring

  3. #3
    RAM_Designs's Avatar
    RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master



    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rockwall, TX
    Age
    29
    Posts
    21,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)

    Re: 8" mids in doors

    don't cross your 8" mids that high, unless they're perfectly on axis...2khz is the highest I would ever think of going with 8's. Especially since you're already crossing your tweets at 2.5khz, why are you overlapping so much...I find that leaving small gaps between is better, but maybe not in your case...



    1,400+ designs since March 2011...
    I have my PM's turned off, please email at [email protected]

  4. #4
    squeak9798's Avatar
    squeak9798 is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 8" mids in doors

    If you have the high efficiency Whip Audio speakers that I'm thinking of.....you're not going to get any decent low end response out of them. They are high efficiency, low excursion and very likely low Q high Fs drivers (I couldn't find any real specs on them with a very brief search, so the last part is a presumption but I would be surprised if it was an inaccurate presumption).

    Sealing them in a small, sealed enclosure would be an even worse idea, resulting in even more diminished low frequency response.

    Most likely the only way to get anything reasonably close to good low frequency response/extension out of them would be to port them, in a properly sized and tuned enclosure (which likely won't fit in your door very well).




  5. #5
    RyanH's Avatar
    RyanH is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 8" mids in doors

    Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798 View Post
    If you have the high efficiency Whip Audio speakers that I'm thinking of.....you're not going to get any decent low end response out of them. They are high efficiency, low excursion and very likely low Q high Fs drivers (I couldn't find any real specs on them with a very brief search, so the last part is a presumption but I would be surprised if it was an inaccurate presumption).

    Sealing them in a small, sealed enclosure would be an even worse idea, resulting in even more diminished low frequency response.

    Most likely the only way to get anything reasonably close to good low frequency response/extension out of them would be to port them, in a properly sized and tuned enclosure (which likely won't fit in your door very well).
    these are acutally high excursion 8's...

    found out a good reason for no low end yesterday..... stupid me!

    the speaker is 8 ohm, ( 7.3 ohm acutally ) and my amp makes 85watts at 4ohms on 1 channel....... you see the problem there!

    well it didn't dawn on me untill i talked to my buddy.
    so this morning i bridged it at 8 ohm, which my amp does 340 watts at 4ohms bridged..................DAYUMM!!!!! what a difference! i can acutally see the speaker moving now, it is hitting the lows just fine now!
    Last edited by RyanH; 02-07-2008 at 09:08 AM.




  6. #6
    tez4life's Avatar
    tez4life is offline Premium Member tez4life is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mobile, Al
    Posts
    3,910
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: 8" mids in doors

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanH View Post
    these are acutally high excursion 8's...

    found out a good reason for no low end yesterday..... stupid me!

    the speaker is 8 ohm, ( 7.3 ohm acutally ) and my amp makes 85watts at 4ohms on 1 channel....... you see the problem there!

    well it didn't dawn on me untill i talked to my buddy.
    so this morning i bridged it at 8 ohm, which my amp does 340 watts at 4ohms bridged..................DAYUMM!!!!! what a difference! i can acutally see the speaker moving now, it is hitting the lows just fine now!

    Cool, that maybe the first review of the Whip mids I have ever seen. I would not have figured that they would have lows like a normal speaker, figure just loud mids like other pro audio stuff. Looking forward to the finish build and thanks for that info a while back.



    2004 Ford Crown Victoria

    Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

    System is a work in progress.

  7. #7
    RyanH's Avatar
    RyanH is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 8" mids in doors

    Quote Originally Posted by tez4life View Post
    Cool, that maybe the first review of the Whip mids I have ever seen. I would not have figured that they would have lows like a normal speaker, figure just loud mids like other pro audio stuff. Looking forward to the finish build and thanks for that info a while back.
    Well here is some more info for you!

    I went ahead and hooked two of the 8's together to get a 4 ohm load and bridged them on my amp! WOW!

    2 of them were rattling stuff in the cab.... i have my headunit crossover set at 60hz and up and i cut everything from 2500 and up out since that is where i will cross it over at in the end. so they are played everything from 60-2500 hz.

    but they sound dayum good! i can tell with a better amp, more power, and my XM6 crossover it will sound even better!




  8. #8
    nismos14's Avatar
    nismos14 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Age
    33
    Posts
    14,524
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)

    Re: 8" mids in doors







    Car audio IS an addiction.
    C.A.A.A Member #1
    (Car Audio Addicts Anonymous)
    Refs http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278560-nismos14-feedback-refs-thread.html


  9. #9
    Louisiana_CRX's Avatar
    Louisiana_CRX is online now dem shoes......



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Piney Hills of Louisiana
    Posts
    34,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

    Re: 8" mids in doors

    Are those high end




    Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

    Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3
    StreetBeat 2................... 145.6
    Stock 1801-up.................153.8
    SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2
    Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

  10. #10
    RyanH's Avatar
    RyanH is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 8" mids in doors

    i got mine for 39.90 plus shipping each.......

    www.dpcauto.com

    search under subwoofers

    they play 60hz-6k hz..... they sound VERY good i think.... mine will sound even better with cleaner power and my crossover hooked up




  11. #11
    nismos14's Avatar
    nismos14 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Age
    33
    Posts
    14,524
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)

    Re: 8" mids in doors

    Lol subwoofers........ they should be under midranges.

    Definately HIGHHHHHHHHH end Dave!






    Car audio IS an addiction.
    C.A.A.A Member #1
    (Car Audio Addicts Anonymous)
    Refs http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278560-nismos14-feedback-refs-thread.html


  12. #12
    JCANTONE's Avatar
    JCANTONE is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    LOUDEST IN DA SOUTH
    Posts
    406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 8" mids in doors

    I bought mine like 2 years ago, I think before tommy started running them, paid $800 for 12 6.5's and 4 8"s



    Quote Originally Posted by christopher0825 View Post
    And you hear a cars subs before you actually see the car....... how many watts do those guys on average have in their trunk?
    Quote Originally Posted by basssquared View Post
    isn't there a dude selling 4 10" RE SX's for 150 each thats 3 10" subs for 350 thas perfect bro

  13. #13
    nismos14's Avatar
    nismos14 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Age
    33
    Posts
    14,524
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)

    Re: 8" mids in doors

    this thread keeps getting worse and worse.






    Car audio IS an addiction.
    C.A.A.A Member #1
    (Car Audio Addicts Anonymous)
    Refs http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278560-nismos14-feedback-refs-thread.html


  14. #14
    MikeyB's Avatar
    MikeyB is offline CarAudio.com Addict



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    H-Town, MI
    Posts
    7,727
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 8" mids in doors

    Is it worth it to try and blend a set of 8's in with a set of 6.5's and a substage?



    Refs- hessdawg, Pepsifiend69, iltoivfe, ownage9, lifted95blaze, Buckshot, da box king, Po.Sic, baseballer1100, vetkilr, dkguitarist, Queball, qtipextra, LaserRed38, 350_regal, RidnClean, BushJ311 and a bunch more...

  15. #15
    JCANTONE's Avatar
    JCANTONE is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    LOUDEST IN DA SOUTH
    Posts
    406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 8" mids in doors

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyB View Post
    Is it worth it to try and blend a set of 8's in with a set of 6.5's and a substage?
    Not really when I never even used them...went with some 6.5" o2 mids instead, they were a little quiter, but MUCH MUCH clearer!!!



    Quote Originally Posted by christopher0825 View Post
    And you hear a cars subs before you actually see the car....... how many watts do those guys on average have in their trunk?
    Quote Originally Posted by basssquared View Post
    isn't there a dude selling 4 10" RE SX's for 150 each thats 3 10" subs for 350 thas perfect bro

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum