Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: gettin my tweeters more on axis...

tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

gettin my tweeters more on axis...

well today i had the bright idea pop into my head of using hot glue to build up sort of like a pod for my tweeter on my left kick panel. the right tweeter can easily be made on axis within the range of adjustment that the swivel allows. the left side however, was pretty close before but now i should be able to easily get the left side perfectly on axis as well.

i asked a few crafty women that i knew if they had ever seen black hot glue sticks, but none of them knew. so i figured i'd try it with the regular clear sticks. i will eventually, when it warms up clean them up a bit and spray a few coats of flat black paint on them. but even now, when mounted it should be pretty hard to see anyway.

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

Thedeadly1 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: gettin my tweeters more on axis...

wow great idea man.. how are those things treating you?

Being installed next week
    Headunit - Kenwood Excelon X792
    Front Stage - Audioque AQG6.5's
    Amp - Arc audio Ks 300.4
    Sub - 1 12" Audioque SD2.5
    Amp - Audioque 1200D
    150 amp alternator, dual batteries, all 0 gauge.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

they are holding up great. i don't know if you knew already or not, but i have them running active now. the mids alone are on my zx550.2. tweets off of HU for now. the sound of this set active is even better. really cleans up the mid-range.

now when it warms up, i'm gonna try and re aim the tweeters to get them as close to on axis as i can. it should be pretty easy now. the right side was easy and seemed to have a lot more on the top end. i'll update this later and let yoy guys know if i hear a difference after aiming them.

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

Thedeadly1 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how much rms per midbass are you giving them again? How much rms are you planning on giving those tweets? **** you really got those suckers going

Being installed next week
    Headunit - Kenwood Excelon X792
    Front Stage - Audioque AQG6.5's
    Amp - Arc audio Ks 300.4
    Sub - 1 12" Audioque SD2.5
    Amp - Audioque 1200D
    150 amp alternator, dual batteries, all 0 gauge.

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

You could do the same thing with a piece of PVC, just make it into a wedge. Then you can paint it or cover it with fabric. Done a few like that...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thedeadly1 View Post
    how much rms per midbass are you giving them again? How much rms are you planning on giving those tweets? **** you really got those suckers going
    i have 205 watts on tap per mid. i don't really know how much of that is actually getting used though. i'd guess from the number i was reading on my dmm that at pretty high volumes the mids alone are seeing about 75 watts a side or so at times.

i'm going to put a ZX200.2 on the tweeters. so i'll have about 75 on tap per tweeter. i don't plan on really using much of it. the main reason i'm gonna get that amp is that if i ever upgrade and the tweeter i pick happens to be 8 ohm instead of 4 then i'll still have enough power for them.

this set sounds goooooood active. but i guess any set really can sound better run active.

tsenfw is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HLP/LPF adjustabillity aside ... Did running the mids off the amp and the tweeters off the head unit offer better sound quality than just running passive?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tsenfw View Post
    HLP/LPF adjustabillity aside ... Did running the mids off the amp and the tweeters off the head unit offer better sound quality than just running passive?
    it's hard to say. they do sound better, but i can't really say hp/lp aside. the mid-bass is a bit louder cause i must be feeding them more power. and the tweeters seem louder and clearer cause i think they might be getting more power.

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'd rather glass it...structurally a lot more stable.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
    I'd rather glass it...structurally a lot more stable.
    how structurally stable does it need to be? it works fine, was practically free for me, and looks fine. i'll just paint the glue black and call it a day. i think i still wanna build it up just a tad more though as well.

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcguy85 View Post
    how structurally stable does it need to be? it works fine, was practically free for me, and looks fine. i'll just paint the glue black and call it a day. i think i still wanna build it up just a tad more though as well.
    For me? More than that

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
    For me? More than that
    nah it's fine. it's not going anywhere. it's as solid as it needs to be.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well after a couple days if listening i'm gonna have to say it worked out pretty **** well. this little fix wit the help of some T/A really fixed my problems. the left side sounds a lot closer to how the right side sounds. it sounds just as loud and detailed now from the left side as it does the right side. cymbal splashes and such sound very centered and high now when coming from both sides.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

GOT SOME PICS with them all mounted!! i know everybody likes pictures!

some of these were taken with the camera at the headrest so you can see the angle as i am seeing it from the drivers seat.

nismos14 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Are they pointed at your butt?

Car audio IS an addiction.
    C.A.A.A Member #1
    (Car Audio Addicts Anonymous)
    Refs http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278560-nismos14-feedback-refs-thread.html

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast