Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Full range or high pass on comp sets?

Firmbiz94 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Full range or high pass on comp sets?

Like the title says.. when you run a comp set do you run the amp on high pass or full range.. i just installed my rsds and was running the amp on full range.. i thought that the crossover would eliminate low freqs from gettin to the tweets....but they blew.. i didnt hear any distortion they just stopped.. both of them at the same time..so im thinkn maybe its bc i ran the amp at full range..i dont want to blow another pair so should i run at high pass... btw the amp is a memphis mc-16-2004 150x2 bridged

Side Show is offline Bringin The Noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Full range or high pass on comp sets?

Yes HPF, check your wiring too.........

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The amp being full range wouldn't blow the tweeters, as the passive crossover is what highpasses the tweeters. But yes, you want to highpass the component set as the passive crossover doesn't limit the low frequencies being delivered to the mids.

But if you blew both tweeters, it means you did something wrong. How did you set the gain for the amp ? What amp do you have ?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i wired it correctly...the mids work fine..the tweets are hooked up into the crossover when i tested different speakers on the tweeter output of the crossover it works perfect..like i said in the first post its a memphis 2004 puts out 150x2..which i read on this forum a million times the rsds would eat up..the gain was set about half way if not less...the only other thing that i can think of is a bad signal...i currently use a LOC to gain a signal from my stock radio..i like the stock radio and do not want to change it.. I run the rcas into the memphis amp from my sub stage amp... i am ordering a eq real soon that will clean up signal and also raise my output voltage to 7 volts.. can tweets blow from a dirty signal..i dunno i they might of been defective i got them off ebay

tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Firmbiz94 View Post
    ike i said in the first post its a memphis 2004 puts out 150x2..which i read on this forum a million times the rsds would eat up..the gain was set about half way if not less
    how did you set the gains? did you just say "hey, half way looks good" or did you use a DMM or something to set them? i have mine on more power than that and they love it. but it's clean correctly set power.

also the best way to set the crossover is to set it on your deck, and set the amp to all pass (AP). let the deck do the work if it can. i have ran mine for short periods of time at pretty good levels on full range just to see how they would take it, and they took it fine. they actually get really low and don't bottom out very easily. mine have yet to be bottomed out.

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well the mids sound good..yea i just set the gain below half way...im not a car audio expert i kind of do it as a hobby and i dont know everything..but i do know how to physically install speakers..i guess i thought setting the amp low would keep the tweets from blowing until i got a chance to meter everything... Im thinking hat i got a defective pair..im goin to order another pair of tweets..and since you cant just get rsd tweets by themselves im goin to have to get something else...ANother question...My amp is 50x4 or 150x2...If i buy a new set of tweets that come with thier own crossover..would it be better to install them with the rsd crossover or run them off of their own crossover. It would be obvious to me the answer if i was dealing with the same amount of power..if i run them seperately i will lose 50 watts a side...the mid would get 50 watts and the tweet would get 50 watts instead of splitting 150.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

did you try calling phoenix gold to see if they will sell you a set of tweeters? i don't see why they wouldn't. i blew a tweeter on my old poopy infinity perfect set, and infinity sold me a new tweeter. notice i did say "sold". PG probably won't warranty them, and i kind of doubt that both were defective or "bad" anyway. i could see one... but not both.

set the gains with a dmm playing a 1khz -3db test tone.... the voltage should read 25.4 volts for 150 watts at 4 ohms. unhook the speakers from the amp when you do this though, don't play a 1khz tone through them at that level.

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yea if i could buy just the tweeter from pg that would be great...prob cost mor ethan the 80 bucks i paid for the whole set tho on ebay...ehh this ***** i was excited about these things ..and my sx's are drowning out my highs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yea if i could buy just the tweeter from pg that would be great...prob cost mor ethan the 80 bucks i paid for the whole set tho on ebay...ehh this ***** i was excited about these things ..and my sx's are drowning out my highs
    give them a call..... at least get a price.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok...well i think i know what im goin to do so let me know if this will work..im goin to buy a different set of tweeters...i was looking at kicker r25 or maybe infinitys..something pretty cheap for now..anyways ill get a pair with its own crossover...then ill just run the amp 50x4... i can put the tweeter on one side with the hp filter on and the mids of the other side of the amp with the full range..the mids sound like crap with the high pass on...they def need to be on full range or they sound like tweeters with no bass output whatsoever...my last question is..the infinitys are 2 ohms..can i run half an amp @ 4 ohm and the other on 2? my amp have 2 channels on each side..each pair of channels have their own set of gains filters etc. Let me know what you think thanks

skydeaner is offline suede humper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Like the title says.. when you run a comp set do you run the amp on high pass or full range.. i just installed my rsds and was running the amp on full range.. i thought that the crossover would eliminate low freqs from gettin to the tweets....but they blew.. i didnt hear any distortion they just stopped.. both of them at the same time..so im thinkn maybe its bc i ran the amp at full range..i dont want to blow another pair so should i run at high pass... btw the amp is a memphis mc-16-2004 150x2 bridged
    Looks like you should have had someone help you with your install. I am yet another one that is running my rds's with 150~200 watts rms a side. The tweeters dont break up until right at that level and the mids shake my legs like a withdrawn crack addict.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yea maybe I shoulda of had someone done it for me..but that would defeat the purpose of me tryin to do it myself..i do this as a hobby. No i dont know everything and i know that..Thats why I ask questions on this forum..I switched over here from Roe thinkin that maybe the ppl over here were maybe more helpful and less bashing all the time...Insted of gettin any answers to my questions ppl just talk down to everybody and try to make them feel stupid...ther are helpful ppl but im gettin to the point where im not even goin to ask anymore questions bc im sick of getting talked to like a 15 Year old...yea my tweeters blew...they never worked...and now im the *******..like i said the midbass sounds great, they handle every bit of the power i throw at them... all i wanted to know..can i have one side of an amp be ran at 2 ohms and the other at 4>? Also like i stated earlier there is no way that I am supposed to run this amp on High pass...if that was the case how would the mids have any bass output? Im gettin conflicting answers and i dont know what to believe..i guess ill trust my ears and when the amp is on full range the mids sound great and on HIgh pass they sound like tweeters. IF anyone can help me i'd appreciate it... I know that no one has really said anything to offend me but i see alot of this type of stuff goin on and i know it discourages alot of ppl from asking questions and learning, which to me is the whole point of this forum..Not a contest of who is the smartest car audio person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you want to be on a nice helpful forum then checkout diymobileaudio.com. their forum is great.

you can run half the amp at 2 and the other half at 4, that should not be a problem.

you do want to use a high pass filter on the comps. you need them crossed no lower than 50hz with a 12db slope. i have mine at 63hz with a 12db slope. comps are not meant to play bass, but mid-bass. the sub should take over from about anywhere from 80hz to 50hz and down.

if you listen to rap or any bass heavy music you will want the set crossed at 63hz or 80hz with at least a 12db slope to keep from destroying them. i have never bottomed mine out but i'm sure if you go blasting gucci maine or jeezy on full range at a decent volume you will blow them to bits

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks..i will check out that forum..i know i kind of went on a rant but these forums are crawling with ppl that just wait to bash ppl and in doing so do not help anyone..yea i will play with the amp and settings..i bought a DMM and will set the gains correctly..I will run the tweets on thier own Crossover..will the mids be ok without the tweeter utilizing the RSD crossover..will they recieve all the power of the mids channel.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it might change the overall impedance that the amp sees but idk. i've never done that before

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast