Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Polk Audio db6500 - any good?

grampi is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Polk Audio db6500 - any good?

These are the only comps I've found so far I'd be willing to consider. They have a very shallow mounting depth of only 2" (my car only allows for a paltry 2.3" of mounting depth) and will fit in my stock doors (and under the door panel too). Anyone here heard them? How do they sound? I have Polk speakers for my HT system and they sound very nice.

tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Polk Audio db6500 - any good?

i thought you were considering the rsd's?

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

07ramjam is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I didnt like them at all.To me they sounded very flat.I can only base that thought on listening to them at Circuit City.My wife was with me too,and she felt the same way and she knows nothing about speakers.

Why are these the only ones your considering? I know MB makes a shallow depth comp set too,you might look into that one.

cam5860 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got a set of the new DB 6501 that I just took out my truck. They are not that great. They sound okay at moderate levels but try to turn them up much and they distort and the tweeters go out from the tweeter protection in the crossover. The thing that **** me off the most was the crossovers are cheap as hell. If you could biamp them I'd say get them but if you use that crossover all you get is distortion and tweeters going out on you all the time when you turn the volume up. Oh yeah by the way I was running a kenwood excelon amp on them 70x4 RMS if you have any doubts what i'm hearing. And I had them crossover at 100 hertz. Theres a lot better to be had for 200 bucks I promise you that.

wong05tsx is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i got the coaxles in my rear doors, i agree they dont sound that great but its just a little rear fill for the passengers in the back so i can care less. but only paid 50$ for them so what the hay

2005 Carbon Grey Pearl TSX
    Substage: 2-10" SSA Icon D1
    Stock HU Additions:Custom Amp Bypass, Dice R4
    Amps: Sundown SAZ-1500D, SD SAX-100.4
    Speakers: Hertz HSK165 w/ Rainbow Cal25 Twtrs.
    Hertz HCX165
    Deadening:: Dynamat Xtreme
    Electrical: Optima YT D35

Refs:
    Bought from: Qbenjamin, MSW Danny, UCbizerkeley, SPY, jjhuang, Tonyguy, 96TL, Justadork2u, duece212, Nosaj070, RE_Gawker, KINGDELL91, BlackwaterOP, BassAddictJ, phenryiv1, XxSuperAdamxX, TheFiverMan, ViolentAudio, nbudros, Jeeper07, lilmaniac2, nismo14, Brian Owens, blaze383, bajalion, mrray13
    Sold to: IS_250, robertspangler, tapout, Onearmedscissor, Pellis, 99grandprixGT, stupify, nismo14, blackbonnie, EGGmane, viveet, TurboG

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 07ramjam View Post
    I didnt like them at all.To me they sounded very flat.I can only base that thought on listening to them at Circuit City.My wife was with me too,and she felt the same way and she knows nothing about speakers.

Why are these the only ones your considering? I know MB makes a shallow depth comp set too,you might look into that one.
    Because there's only been a couple others that have the shallow depth mids I need and I've read nothing but bad things about them. Every MB set of comps I've ever heard has had extremely harsh tweets, and IMO they're all overpriced. I really think my best bet is to just find a pair of shallow midrange drivers to replace the one's I have. I can use the tweets and x-over network I have now. I really like the JL tweets and I'd rather not have to spend the money on an entirely new set of comps if I don't have to. The problem is finding places that sell just the mids without having to buy a complete comp set.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cam5860 View Post
    Theres a lot better to be had for 200 bucks I promise you that.
    There's a lot that are shallower than 2.25" mounting depth? If so, please let me know what they are because I'm sure not finding them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

can you use an MDF spacer to space the speaker out to get added depth?

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcguy85 View Post
    can you use an MDF spacer to space the speaker out to get added depth?
    No. I want the speaker to be flush with the door skin so I can install the interior door panel over it for the factory look. If I use a spacer I'd have to cut a hole in the door panel and use the speaker grills that came with the speakers. That wouldn't look factory at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    No. I want the speaker to be flush with the door skin so I can install the interior door panel over it for the factory look. If I use a spacer I'd have to cut a hole in the door panel and use the speaker grills that came with the speakers. That wouldn't look factory at all.
    oh ok. well that kinda stinks. if you space it out at all the factory door skin won't go back on?

what car is it?

07ramjam is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    Because there's only been a couple others that have the shallow depth mids I need and I've read nothing but bad things about them. Every MB set of comps I've ever heard has had extremely harsh tweets, and IMO they're all overpriced. I really think my best bet is to just find a pair of shallow midrange drivers to replace the one's I have. I can use the tweets and x-over network I have now. I really like the JL tweets and I'd rather not have to spend the money on an entirely new set of comps if I don't have to. The problem is finding places that sell just the mids without having to buy a complete comp set.
    Have you heard them for yourself?I listened to the premium series extensively and I didnt think they sounded harsh at all,but thats just me.Good luck on your search.

Pyro_By_Nature is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Polk DB series actually are some decent speakers.

BUT, if you want to buy just the mids., I'm sure you can find something else. If you want to take sound quality seriously, check out diymobileaudio.com (check out the forum). People there actually know what SQ is. They can probably point you in the direction of a mid. off of madisound or something that will suite your needs.

Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction. - Bob Marley
    2005 Subaru WRX
    1990 Honda CRX Si

Refs.: NHustlar, t00p, Kenny Pollock, vitveet, defj., mendon99, trevor87, saltyreefguy, willster, Iammurph, Dimensions684, kungfoojesus, karleon, bonestock, highhorsepwr, digital_ripper04, scottie johnson, stevew007, slammed, joshs98runner, PBateman, Sakura, duece212, mtx11, dirtye30, queball, audioarsonal, KHARPS. Not including box designs.

cam5860 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just replaced my DB's with the JBL power series components and the depth on them is 2 1/8 inches. They will fit like a glove in your car. And let me just say they will put those polks to shame. Plus I bought a brand new set off ebay for 95 bucks. You might want to go that route. But the choice is yours.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcguy85 View Post
    oh ok. well that kinda stinks. if you space it out at all the factory door skin won't go back on?

what car is it?
    '99 Corolla.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 07ramjam View Post
    Have you heard them for yourself?I listened to the premium series extensively and I didnt think they sounded harsh at all,but thats just me.Good luck on your search.
    No, I actually haven't heard any MB's in a while, but to be honest, I doubt I'll be able to find an MB comp set for a price I'm willing to pay. They've always been expensive.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast