Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Hertz mlk165 help

denali804 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hertz mlk165 help

Just installed to sets of mlk165's in my ride and I would like to know how much power people are feeding to these things safely. I feel that I need to bigger amp to get the most out of them.

Refs-----nomad40, jblpower, lil_kb, tdawg30, wichy, kinalyx, brandon fisher, bumpin buick, armed&bangin, Bun-Bun, Alpine CDA-9815, dennis09x, boucher823

BassBallin is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Hertz mlk165 help

3 bazillion watts

mr burns is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am running the MLK165 comps active, through A Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 DSP. The amp is an Alpine PDX 4-150. So that's 150 per speaker. I wouldn't hesitate to give the mids double that. Please let me know how you like these speakers when you have them set up the way you want. They're pretty amazing. I have my doors completely sealed, with three layers of Damplifier pro on the inside panel, and two layers on the outside doorskin. Some ensolite behind the speaker and a layer between the door panel and inner doorskin. It made a tremendous difference in the midbass output and clarity.

aeon is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

seems like hertz is becoming popular now. everyone seems to really like them.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mr. Burns, How do you like that alpine 4 channel. That seems like about the power range of what I would need. Using a diamond audio 600.4 on them now and i think i need a little more power. Only getting 75 watts per speaker. How much was the alpine?

Refs-----nomad40, jblpower, lil_kb, tdawg30, wichy, kinalyx, brandon fisher, bumpin buick, armed&bangin, Bun-Bun, Alpine CDA-9815, dennis09x, boucher823

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I really like the PDX 4-150. The birth sheet that comes with it says it actually measures 168 watts. Very efficient, no lights dimming etc. I also run the PDX 1-1000 to my sub. These amps are really small, and stackable. Both amps fit under the back seat in my truck, out of sight. If you go to the DIYMA forum they have several threads in the review section on user tests and observations. Some really good info on these amps if you are interested. Also Car Audio and Electronics did an in depth review, which can be read on their website. One of the first place winners in the IASCA competition won with these amps. I'd really like to hear your comments on the Hertz speakers. These amps are around 800- 900 hundred dollars up here in Canada, but the folks on DIYMA have some pretty good leads for sources in the USA for much cheaper.

Echo42987 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What are you sending to each speaker right now?

-Nick-

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

75 watts each. I like the sound of the mlk165's, but the tweeters don't seem loud enough. Im sure its the power im feeding them and my setup. Using diamond audio d5 600.4 right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

75 watts to the tweeters should be more than enough. Where are they mounted?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry. I'm running active, with 150 going to each tweeter. Wasn't thinking that your using the passives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just got myself of a pair of the mlk2's. Looks like they are really sweeping the market.

my stuff
    Alpine Iva w205
    Alpine pxa h701
    Power Master D3100
    Hertz MLK 2
    SL 95 Boston's for the rear
    500/1 with 10w7 for the thump
    450/4 to bring it all together

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are so lucky. I couldn't afford those so I got the 165's instead. I hope you will let us know how you like them when you get them installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr burns View Post
    You are so lucky. I couldn't afford those so I got the 165's instead. I hope you will let us know how you like them when you get them installed.
    Just got them installed last night. I love them so far, but they are still pretty new and not broken in. They are rated for 150rms so that is what I am sending to them. I don't want to crank it to much as I was suggested by a good source to wait @20hrs before I crank it up. I can tell you compared to the Mb quart qsd 216's I had, they are night and day. I can hear stuff now I couldn't hear before. Maybe it was being out of my car for a few days. I'll post pics later on.

my stuff
    Alpine Iva w205
    Alpine pxa h701
    Power Master D3100
    Hertz MLK 2
    SL 95 Boston's for the rear
    500/1 with 10w7 for the thump
    450/4 to bring it all together

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Finally got the mlk165's the extra power and all that i can say is wow what a difference. I was kind of disappointed to say the least at how these sounded with my 75 watts going to each one of them. Now I have an alpine pdx 4.150 going to them and they have really woke up. Now I here what I payed for. I would love to here each one with about 250 watts to them.

kun.gaara is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

recently got this unit and im feeding it 130 with an audison lrx 4.1 amp, passive only.

all i can say is im glad i made a good decision on buying the 165.

Closed Thread