Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Reload Thread: down to two choices...

OmegaBunny is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

down to two choices...

Ok I am down to 2 choices for comps and amp. Now I need help choosing.

I was going to go with the Boston SL60's front and rear, with a Profile 80 x 4 amp. But after reading numerous threads and recommendations, I am now considering the PG RSD65cs front and rear, with a Kicker zx650.4, 120w x 4. Which out of these sets would have the cleaner, deeper midbass and smoother tweets?

Before I order, I want to be 100% sure (or as close as I can without listening to them) that I get the set that would be best suited for my taste. I listen to mostly classis rock, rock, alternative, and punk (not the crap new stuff). I am unable to listen to either set of speakers so please tell me why one is prefered over the other. I have heard good reviews for both set, but would like some input as a comparison.

The Boston's and profile amp are $474 shipped
    The PG's and kicker amp are $417 shipped
    All prices via eBay

Eventually I will be picking up a Kenwood DNX7100 HU and I have a 10" Alpine type R, box, and 500w mono amp in my dining room. So I would like the sound to mix very well.

Thanks for any help!

UCF52 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: down to two choices...

I have the RSd's with about 140w a side and they are awesome. I have never heard the SL60's but, Kicker > profile and 120w > 80w. The RSd's are a good set for the money.

Glock23 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

have you thought about mmats? i now love mmat comps they are so clear sounding even with a factory deck!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

I have never heard of mmats, but looking at them, they might be a little out of my price range. The prices above are for the amp and 2 sets of comps.

I live in a very small area with one audio shop and they really only push Bostons and JL. I was up there the other day to listen to the Sl60's and he didn't have any in. I am not sure how long until he restocks them. I like BA, but since I cannot listen to them first I want to get some opinions before purchasing.

Also, please offer up and other ideas. I am new to this car audio thing. I am only used to brands that are sold on Crutchfield, and have not heard of most of the brand mentioned on these forums.

Macklessdaddy is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaBunny View Post
    I have never heard of mmats, but looking at them, they might be a little out of my price range. The prices above are for the amp and 2 sets of comps.

I live in a very small area with one audio shop and they really only push Bostons and JL. I was up there the other day to listen to the Sl60's and he didn't have any in. I am not sure how long until he restocks them. I like BA, but since I cannot listen to them first I want to get some opinions before purchasing.

Also, please offer up and other ideas. I am new to this car audio thing. I am only used to brands that are sold on Crutchfield, and have not heard of most of the brand mentioned on these forums.
    uh y u need 2 sets of comps?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Set for the front and for the rear. Should I go wiuth a set of comps and a set of coax?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Set for the front and for the rear. Should I go wiuth a set of comps and a set of coax?
    If you have a coupe then you will only need one set of components - sink your money into a really nice set. If you have a four door then it's up to you, but either way you shouldn't need two sets of components. Most will say to try one set of components and run no rear fill and then if you want it (for passengers) then run a set of coax's off of the HU power.

Macklessdaddy is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UCF52 View Post
    If you have a coupe then you will only need one set of components - sink your money into a really nice set. If you have a four door then it's up to you, but either way you shouldn't need two sets of components. Most will say to try one set of components and run no rear fill and then if you want it (for passengers) then run a set of coax's off of the HU power.
    x2 as i drive a 4 door sedan and my comps fill the cabin with mucho noise ,combine that budget for 1 real nice comp set so you wont be trying to upgrade next week,trust me a properly amped set of comps will do you good.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

I have a 4 door and I thought about only running speakers in the front, but I have people in the back seat all the time, and they all love music. But I may check out a nicer set of comp, amp'd and a set of nice but cheaper coax for the rear doors and run them off the HU. Maybe I just need to get some deaf friends.

Also, too bad UCS didn't beat USF, would have been much better for West Virginia!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

What about these for the fronts...

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4596 with
    150w going to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a 4 door and I thought about only running speakers in the front, but I have people in the back seat all the time, and they all love music. But I may check out a nicer set of comp, amp'd and a set of nice but cheaper coax for the rear doors and run them off the HU. Maybe I just need to get some deaf friends.

Also, too bad UCS didn't beat USF, would have been much better for West Virginia!
    x2 on the deaf friends, lol. Yea, your best bet is a nice front comp set and some decent rear fill off of HU power.

and yes I was pissed when we lost to USF (I was there - it was brutal!). we have/had the nations leading rusher (Kevin Smith) and was playing fairly well in big games (35-32 loss to Texas), but oh well.

What about these for the fronts...

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4596 with
    150w going to them.
    I considered the CDT's when I was looking around, but I heard some mixed reviews about them and decided the price tag wasn't worth it when compared to the RSd's. You should search around for component sets in your range and hopefully some others will chip in with some options.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

The RSD's seem like a good choice given power handling, reviews, and price. So I will probably go with them.

*edit*

and probably pick up a 160w amp and set it for between 140 and 150 watts. South Florida has a good team, but they are so overrated. WVU just didn't show up at all that game. I have no idea where they were at.

Audio Master is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey why Not go with AD600r 6 inch splits for the front Ad6 6"splits in the rear.

A Steg QMOS11, 105.4 4ch for them all or even a 120.2 2ch for the front and a 75.2 for the rear.
    You will get amazing sound and the price isnt that bad, quite cheap considering the quality
    IMO some of the best gear you can get except of course the K compitition which is more expensive also they are all BNIB any way thtas my thought pm if you want some more info m8
    Audio Master
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails down to two choices...-qm105_4.jpeg   down to two choices...-qmosii75_2.jpeg   down to two choices...-qmosii120_2.jpeg   down to two choices...-page19_1.jpg   down to two choices...-k402.jpeg  

Hu: Pioneer P90RS
    Fronts: AD600r splits x2 sets
    Rears: AD6cx 6.5coax
    Subs: 2X12" Xmplar M subs
    Front Amp: Xmplar digital 150x4
    Rears Amp: Xmplar digital 150x4
    Sub Amp: Xmplar linkable Monoblock X5000.1
    big as box for subs
    xmplar wireing all the way through
    og and 4g aswell as a few runs of 8g
    Bat: 1 x starter and 2xoptima D31YT

REFS: ionSQL, AUDIBAHNUSER18, FI car audio, Q&A/Pierce audio products

tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i will have to say get the PG RSD's. i just put a set in along with a kicker zx550.2 and it is sweet. it sounds amazing! i am in love!

and about rear fill. i do have my headunit powering the rears but they are faded pretty low and i don't even notice them being on. so in my case the front alone is enough but in a bigger car you might want a lil rear fill. depends on the car and up to you in the end.

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

I have never heard of them. What can you tell be about 'em?

*AD I mean*

I have a dodge caliber, so it has a decent size cabin. What do you recommend as a rear fill?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast