Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My Pg Rsd65cs Review:

well today i installed a set of Phoenix Gold RSD 6.5" comps in my Scion tC. the install was fairly easy and painless for the most part. i installed the woofers in the doors and the tweeters i flush mounted in the stock kick panels. the set is being powered by a kicker zx550.2 amp with the gains set with a -3db 1khz tone to 150wrms per side.

once i got it all wired up, before i even had the tweeters in their spot i turned it on and made sure everything was good to go. the first thing that popped into my head was "wooooowwww listen to all that mid-bass". just like all the reviews say, the mid-bass is absolutely amazing. especially for the size of the driver and the price you get the set for. the woofers really don't look very beefy but they sure sound like they are. my doors and deadened and sealed though, so if you just drop them in w/o doing that the results might not be the same.

now onto the tweeter, at first i didn't know what to think. i had a slight imaging problem right off the bat. but the guys over at phoenix gold saved me with the sweet pivoting the tweeter offers. i first tried pointing the right side at me(the driver) and the left side at the passenger headrest. but that really made the stage sound weird. it sounded very to the right side of the car. but even with the tweeter mounted down in the kick panel i was able to easily make the sound stage sound like it was much higher than it looks. now when female vocals are played they sound like they are coming right from the center, kinda like the bottom center of the windshield or right at the top center of the dash. everything sounds very good and very centered.

for the EQing right now i have 50hz and 80hz boosted by 2, and 125 boosted by 1, and that's it. i don't think the midrange or high end even needs to be messed with. my head unit also has time alignment but i already had it set for the factory speakers so that was done already and seems to be fine so far. i have the fronts crossed at 63hz at a 12db slope, and the sub also crossed at 63 at a 12db slope, and the factory rears i have off head unit power but faded out pretty low, crossed at 100hz. i played a few rap songs just for the hell of it and i think crossing them over at 63hz is to low. i feel if i really give them a lot of volume with certain songs i might be pushing them a bit much. but for any rock song that point is fine, i even played them full range and they were perfectly fine.

i already played them for probably a good 3-4 hours at least, maybe even 5. i listen mainly to rock, alternative, and metal(but not crazy death metal). everything i threw at them sounded excellent. on more mellow songs like stuff from 311's cd Transistor, or ****ation by opeth, everything sounded very crisp, detailed, and clear. when i play stuff that was a little faster and i don't wanna say harsh but stuff with a lot of crazy highs they sound good as well but the tweeters really come alive and sound really loud. maybe even a little bit bright (but not harsh), but i am going to assume that they will mellow out a lil bit over time. but really the tweeter is great.

overall for the money i have no complaints yet at all. well worth the $87 shipped they were on ebay.

now this is only my second set of comps that i have owned. i had a set of Infinity kappa perfect 6.1's a while back. i honestly at the time i kinda liked them but that was before i really had a lot of experience with car audio. the infinity's were definetly very harsh and had no midbass what so ever. i will leave off with a couple pictures, if anybody has any questions or comments let me know and i will answer them the best i can. i will update this after i get more time on them as well, i'm sure the sound will probably change as with all speakers.

(the left tweeter isn't angled all crazy like that anymore BTW.)

Last edited by tcguy85; 10-16-2007 at 10:01 PM.

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

Mike437 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: My Pg Rsd65cs Review:

Very nice review, and i think i am going to be buying the rsd's very soon. But first gotta tint the windows and deaden my trunk and doors. But i am looking forward to hearing how amazing the rsd's sound.

Mike

edit: a little of topic, sorry for this, but how do you like v1se edead? I was thinking about buying dynamat extreme, bulk pack so i would just have enough for trunk and two front doors. But is the edead any good?

1994 Honda Civic LX Sedan
    H/U: Kenwood KDC-135
    Front: Infinity Reference 5022I
    Rear: Infinity Reference 6022I
    Power: Yellow Top, RF 4 awg

References-
    Bought from: hemi=22s
    Sold to: meh, CayenneRedV6, deepthump17

tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i like the Edead V1SE alot. it's very easy to work with, very inexpensive and does a very good job. sticks very well also. oh and it doesn't cut you like the dynamat extreme does.

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

tbasile1 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the review and pics

Glad your happy!!

REFS:

sold to "Benilson09"

TC2k15x2 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Nice review this made my decision to get them!

Current Setup (In Progress)
    -Door Speakers- 6.5" Pioneer premier comps
    -Head unit- Eclipse AVN5435
    -Sub- RD HW 3" coils
    -Sub Amp- RD 3250.1
    -Enclosure- 5.4 cuft, tuned to 40Hz (Pioneer~Saturn)
    -Batt's- (2)YT D31
    -Stock Alt- 150A
    -More to come-

Refs: s beatz, FASTIMES, juukno, blinkdogo2, kmanian, scott s, fatboyracing, nate2587, dumpin907

Jacobman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Very nice, let them break in a little more and reap the sound goodness, lol.

------------------------------------------------------
    Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine PDX-2.150
    PG RSd65cs

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thanks guys! :-) a little more.... i just drove around so i could hear a couple songs. i put Metallica's "and justice for all" in and listened to some of that. i listened to "one" and "and justice for all". they both sounded amazing, so detailed and clear even when i cranked the hell out of it. i heard things in those songs i don't remember hearing before.

and for some reason my sub also sounds a lot better now, not really sure why. i reset my gain pretty much the same way as before just to a lower volume on the head unit. it seems to hit a lot harder now though.

i deff recommend these comps to anybody, no matter what your price range. even if you have money for rainbow or something expensive don't waste it.

DejaWiz is offline Speaker Bee-otch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the review and I'm glad you like 'em.

2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

Setting Amp Gains:
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/Den_of_Dragons/topic/508709/1/

References
    Bought from: jacobcopeland87, 95bat, alxmlr789, na_rsx

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

no problem.

duckfart is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I been having them for a couple of months and I like them also.

System stolen on 10/14/09

johnson is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What did you cover the huge hole in the door with? Friend of mine has a tC and bought a set of Polk SR6500's. All he did was put some dynamat extreme around and behind the speaker and the sound is lackluster. He doesnt believe in sealing and deadening...

Buyer: Thetalkingshoe, joshs98runner, theCybe, sephiroth619, chornet44, AK SloPok, Looney_Tune, 5.0, iLLest1aLive, scooter2479, SoundBarrier, tapout, jdc753, flatlander4510, etc.

DejaWiz is offline Speaker Bee-otch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    He doesnt believe in sealing and deadening...
    Oh, the atrocity! Kick him square in the nuts then send him here to get schooled. Please and thank you.

2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

Setting Amp Gains:
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/Den_of_Dragons/topic/508709/1/

References
    Bought from: jacobcopeland87, 95bat, alxmlr789, na_rsx

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    What did you cover the huge hole in the door with? Friend of mine has a tC and bought a set of Polk SR6500's. All he did was put some dynamat extreme around and behind the speaker and the sound is lackluster. He doesnt believe in sealing and deadening...
    i used thin sheet metal with some self tapping screws, i think it's called "flashing". it's used on roofs ad siding and stuff. i used that, then obviously just covered it with the deadening material. it made some difference. i did it with just the stock speakers and it still made a really nice difference. killed a lot of road noise and added a lot of mid-bass. i get a little bit of buzzing from the plastic door skin though on certain songs that i will need to fix eventually. i'm not 100% sure what i'm going to do though.

johnson is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is the flashing material thin? Did it flex after you screwed it in?

Buyer: Thetalkingshoe, joshs98runner, theCybe, sephiroth619, chornet44, AK SloPok, Looney_Tune, 5.0, iLLest1aLive, scooter2479, SoundBarrier, tapout, jdc753, flatlander4510, etc.

kross is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcguy85 View Post
    and for some reason my sub also sounds a lot better now, not really sure why. i reset my gain pretty much the same way as before just to a lower volume on the head unit. it seems to hit a lot harder now though.
    I would guess that's because you have your RSd's crossed at 63Hz/12db, that they are "helping" your subwoofer, because they will be playing a lot of bass, too.

Thou hath not so much brain as ear wax.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

User Tag List