Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help Me piece together an 3-way actice front stage

I am still doing research, and surprise, I still need help. I am wondering what the gurus would recommend for a 3 way active setup, powered by alpine F1 processing and TRU billet amps. I've got a pretty good budget, but lets not break the bank, try to keep it under the 1500 dollar range. No bigger than a 7 inch woofer, tweeter and midrange, I dont care about the size. I am new to the high dollar pieces, therefore, I am asking for help. If I cannot piece together a setup, I will more than likely be purchasing the Hertz Mille ML280, ml500, and ml1600 Anybody willing to help?

References
    Sold: byoon001 (RCA's) Bought: 6spdcoupe (Germs) Sold: Duke (Audiobahns) Trade: billabongcr (JBL GTO1201.1)

Flipx99 is offline Violator of Terms

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)

Re: Help Me piece together an 3-way actice front stage

What are you wanting the setup to do?

Although I know what you drive...so this is out

but if I could do anything

7" midbass: Rainbow W175 or Seas Excel
    midrange: HAT L3
    Tweeter: Rainbow Cal27

I think it might be close to under $1,000

Black cat, white cat...all that matters is that it catches mice. -Deng Xiaoing

I do homework for money. I specialize in finance. PM me for estimates.

If someone uses me as a reference, please contact me first.

tukn18s is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

what do I want the setup to do? I want it to provide some excellent quality, a very natural sounding tweeter, not too harsh, and some decent mid bass. i have never ran a mid range, so in those aspects, i am lost...

References
    Sold: byoon001 (RCA's) Bought: 6spdcoupe (Germs) Sold: Duke (Audiobahns) Trade: billabongcr (JBL GTO1201.1)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)

When I had the SLC 365 kit, I didn't think too much of the midrange. But then again, that is quite a different budget altogether.

I have been more impressed with the 2way setups I have heard vs. the 3way. Hopefully, next month at MECA world finals, I can here some better executed 3way setups.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yea I am going three way by the recommendation of 6spdcoupe, with the help of the forum, and don, I will be able to get this thing sounding amazing.

References

genxx is offline Team JL Audio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would be looking at Scan, Dyn, Hertz or HAT if I was spending the money.IMO I also like the Rainbow Profi Van CS365.

I always wanted to try this set-up. Not sure on the total cost though.
    Rainbow W175
    Rainbow MR100
    Rainbow Cal26 or Cal28

2009 USACi Basic Consumer World Champion, '09 IASCA INAC 2nd Place, 2010 MECA Finals MODEX 4th, '10 OK MODEX State Champion--Addicted to Sound Quality
    '06 F250: JL-Zapco-Pioneer
    '08 Focus-Kenwood-Zapco-ID-Hertz
    Team JL Audio, Team RAAMmat, Team Advantage Audio, Team MSE, Team Zapco

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by genxx View Post
    I would be looking at Scan, Dyn, Hertz or HAT if I was spending the money.IMO I also like the Rainbow Profi Van CS365.

I always wanted to try this set-up. Not sure on the total cost though.
    Rainbow W175
    Rainbow MR100
    Rainbow Cal26 or Cal28
    If I know my prices...that is pretty **** close to $1500 if you go with the Cal28. I think that is like a 800 tweeter brand new.

Although I think I seen one in the classifieds at DIYMA for 400 or so.

I like how the W175 got two votes.

genxx is offline Team JL Audio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipx99 View Post
    If I know my prices...that is pretty **** close to $1500 if you go with the Cal28. I think that is like a 800 tweeter brand new.

Although I think I seen one in the classifieds at DIYMA for 400 or so.

I like how the W175 got two votes.
    I would agree after going back and check but could do the Cal26 Silk and he should be pretty close to $1000.00.

2009 USACi Basic Consumer World Champion, '09 IASCA INAC 2nd Place, 2010 MECA Finals MODEX 4th, '10 OK MODEX State Champion--Addicted to Sound Quality
    '06 F250: JL-Zapco-Pioneer
    '08 Focus-Kenwood-Zapco-ID-Hertz
    Team JL Audio, Team RAAMmat, Team Advantage Audio, Team MSE, Team Zapco

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i really liked my germaniums, I wouldnt be against trying some of the rainbow higher end stuff... ill have to talk to don about that one.

References

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by genxx View Post
    I would agree after going back and check but could do the Cal26 Silk and he should be pretty close to $1000.00.
    His budget is $1,500....so why not

bikinpunk is offline G-g-g-g-g-unity!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Scan Revs for midrange.

Dyn mw170 for midbass (think that's the model #)

Can't think of any specifics for tweeter. maybe look into Scan Rev tweeters, but I'm sure the Rainbows mentioned above will be fine.

^ this would be what I would try to piece together.

Haven't checked frequency ranges, so they may not all tie together as easily. But, that'll depend on install.

2006 Civic LX Sedan
    Pioneer P9. Audison BitOne. JL Audio HD. Scanspeak. Acoustic Elegance.

DIYma Refs:
    http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/itrader.php?u=1891

Caraudio.com refs:
    Groggy23, Radridd, bdubs767, 6spdcoupe, Cahm Rohn, Soydeedo, Lil_KB

E-bay Feedback: bikinpunk

finebar4 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Depending on where you mount the tweeters I would suggest Rainbow Cal 27's. Smooth, silky off axis response, great power handling, I know I love the set I have

alphakenny1 is offline LOTUS FTW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My personal choice of ANY speakers:

Peerless SLS 8" (if you can fit 4" deep speakers though) ~$130
    Lotus RM110 (although i'd love to try out the scan 12m) ~$250
    Hiquphon OW2 ~$200

But I don't know, i'd stick to a 2 way comp set. much easier to tune IMO and still can get great great sound. So in that case I'd get:

Seas Excel W18NX ~$330
    Hiquphon OW1/2 ~$200

Also consider the Scan 7100, very silky smooth and very warm. For my tastes a lil bit too warm but they are **** smooth. ~$500

W200/H701
    Dyn MW160/Lotus RM110/Seas Neo Alum/Idmax
    Alpine PDX

References
    RoudyruffKK, mattmcss, BLD 25, 02corvette
    bjfish11 ,slain93gsr, DJGTSR, flakko, FoxPro5
    2.2l integra, rawdogj, guy022077, bumpn_gt
    lowlinc, rocky 59, alann, ECA, DIYMA

bay area people need some custom work done? pm me. here's some work that we've done:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/151662/1
    http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...man52/Install/
    http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=76937

ENDER_XVICM is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I always liked what Rainbow had to offer. I am actually looking to buy another set of SLC 365s for a friend. I also liked what CDT offered with the ES Gold series drivers. The output I managed to get from my ES-04s was AMAZING. I was astonished by how well they sounded and how loud they could actually get and still sound good. The ES-01 is a good tweeter as well and you can get the pretty cheap if you look around. Got mine for about 100. As for a mid-bass driver I am not to sure on. I have found ones that I like but never one that was perfect for what I wanted it to do. That is probably because if a poor install on my part though. When it came to the rainbows I dont have any expierence with anything above the SLC 365s. Was very impressed with these speakers. VERY impressed. Good bang for your buck. Would upgrade the tweeter though.

I do have a few drivers up for sale if you are interested.

ES-06
    ES-5
    ES-04
    HD-2

I also have some amps if you are interested.

MiniVanMan is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's a huge step you're taking. I'm surprised nobody here has asked some very important questions.

1. Where is your midrange going to be located? Will it be on-axis, off-axis, and if off-axis to what degree?

2. Where will your tweeters be located? Same question applies as to question number 1.

If you're new to active tuning, and have never ran a 3-way, spending $1500.00 on raw drivers is borderline ridiculous. I mean, I can't tell you what to do with your money, but you can get GREAT quality for MUCH, MUCH less, and you don't have to sweat every decision. It's much better to test your mounting locations and listening desires with a set of Vifa MG10 midranges for around $60.00 a pair, than find out you don't like the $400.00 pair of Scan Revs, or other comparable speaker.

Be careful with tweeters. Many high end tweeters cost a lot, not because they sound that much better across their bandwidth than their lower priced counterparts, but rather they sound better at lower frequencies. For example, the Cal28, Lotus RT27F, etc can drop very low for a tweeter (i.e. the 1500-2000 hz range), and maintain excellent clarity. In a 3-way that benefit is useless as you won't be crossing a tweeter until 4k and up (depending on your midrange). So, is the Cal28 tweeter that much better than a set of LPGs that cost 1/10th the price? The benefit the Cal28 tweeter has over the LPG really is the extra 1000-1500 hz of lower end bandwidth. If you like the Rainbow tweeters, look at the Cal25, and Cal26 for a 3-way setup.

Midbasses, midbasses, midbasses. Again, why spend the money on a set of midwoofers designed to extend up to 2-3k, when you're going to be crossing them over at around 200-250 hz anyway. The Scan Revs are fantastic, but are wasted in a 3-way. Same with the Seas Excel line, and many of the Rainbow offerings. So, again, look for drivers that have limited bandwidth. They'll save you money, and generally have better reproduction of the frequencies you're focusing on. The Peerless SLS 8 has already been mentioned. They also make a 6.5" SLS version that is fantastic. Midbass doesn't get much better than these. http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=8234

Again if you like Rainbow, the Rainbow Profi Kick is a great speaker. Doesn't dig as deep as the SLS driver, but is very snappy and very accurate. Again, though, the Rainbow Kick is much cheaper than a lot of higher end offerings that give you performance where you don't need them.

The real question though is, which midrange? That's the driver that will be handling most of your bandwidth, to include the critical vocal range. I suggest starting cheaper and going up from there once you figure out what you like and don't like. One of my all time favorites is the Vifa MG10. The MG series is what the CDT ES series is designed from, for a 1/4 of the price. It's the one driver from CDT that I actually like, and that's because I really like the Vifa MG10. Even better though, is they're on sale right now for a mere $28.00 each. http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1118

Yeah, it's shielded, but for the price, it's an EXCELLENT choice for a first time active/DIY setup. You can be as critical as you like with that driver, and then you can come back and say "Hey guys, I want to upgrade my midgrange. I'm currently using the Vifa MG10, and this is what I like about it, and this is what I don't like about it." Until then, people suggesting $200.00 drivers are just suggesting them because they're $200.00. Listening is subjective, and it's rather irresponsible (sorry guys), to suggest a speaker costing that much without having a more detailed description of listening tastes, to include comparisons with other drivers.

Next, you really need to ask yourself, will this be a competition car, or a daily driver. If it's a daily driver, then ask yourself, how much is a fraction of a difference in "inaudible" distortion when driving down the road worth? The Scan Revs boast some, if not the best, distortion figures in the industry. However, even in a well built home audio room, only the most critical listener can really tell the difference in distortion between a driver like the Scan Rev, and the Vifa MG10. In a car, it's nigh impossible.

So, that leads to install. The best gear in the world doesn't mean doo-doo if you don't install it in a manner conducive to it's performance. You shouldn't be sweating driver selection. You should be in a near panic thinking about the time and energy you're going to have to put into your car BEFORE the drivers even touch the car.

Just my .02.

2007 Chrysler Town & Country Type R

Being installed as we speak
    Mids: 7" Scan Speak Revelator
    Tweets: Lotus RT27F
    Subs: Dayton RS315HO (x2)

H/U: Eclipse 8053
    Amps: Memphis ST1500, ST200.4, ST150

Want to understand your passive crossover a little better??

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...0&page=1&pp=10

Your ability to buy expensive audio equipment does NOT make you an "audiophile"

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List