Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Question about component watts...

OmegaBunny is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    450 Post(s)

Question about component watts...

This is just something I was wondering, not that I am planning on doing this, just wondering if there is a way to do it. Is there a way to determine the watts that the individual pieces can handle? For example, if a set is rated for 80w's, can the tweeter and woofer each handle 80w's or does the woofer handle say 50w and the tweeter handle 30w? Also, if I have a 80 x 4 amp and one set of components, can I send the power from each of the channels to a piece on the components, 2 channels to the tweets, 1 channel a piece and 2 channels to the woofers, 1 channel a piece? Sorry if this is a noob question, but I am a noob and trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks for any help!

DejaWiz is offline Speaker Bee-otch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Question about component watts...

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaBunny View Post
    This is just something I was wondering, not that I am planning on doing this, just wondering if there is a way to do it.

1. Is there a way to determine the watts that the individual pieces can handle? For example, if a set is rated for 80w's, can the tweeter and woofer each handle 80w's or does the woofer handle say 50w and the tweeter handle 30w?

2. Also, if I have a 80 x 4 amp and one set of components, can I send the power from each of the channels to a piece on the components, 2 channels to the tweets, 1 channel a piece and 2 channels to the woofers, 1 channel a piece?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I am a noob and trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks for any help!
    1. Usually if the set is rated for 80w rms, then both the mid and tweet are getting 80w rms. Unless there's a tweeter protection circuit in the passive crossover to limit the amount of power being sent to the tweeter.

2. Yep, but you have to have either a biampable passive crossover or switch to an active crossover.

2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

Setting Amp Gains:
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/Den_of_Dragons/topic/508709/1/

References
    Bought from: jacobcopeland87, 95bat, alxmlr789, na_rsx

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    450 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DejaWiz View Post
    1. Usually if the set is rated for 80w rms, then both the mid and tweet are getting 80w rms. Unless there's a tweeter protection circuit in the passive crossover to limit the amount of power being sent to the tweeter.

2. Yep, but you have to have either a biampable passive crossover or switch to an active crossover.
    1. Ok so unless there is a protection circuit, you can send 80w to each of the components.

2. What is a biampable passive crossover? A crossover that allows each of the components to be hooked up individually? What is a active crossover?

Sorry these are noob questions I know.

nismos14 is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)

A bi-ampable crossover will have two inputs, one for the tweeter side, and one for the midbass side. Running active is supplying each tweeter and each mid with its own channel of amplificatoin and using an external crossover/processor to get the correct frequencies to each driver without destroying/distorting them. In this case you do not use the passive crossover that comes with most component sets.

Car audio IS an addiction.
    C.A.A.A Member #1
    (Car Audio Addicts Anonymous)
    Refs http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278560-nismos14-feedback-refs-thread.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    450 Post(s)

Ok, I think I understand. I am looking at the Boston SL60's and it has a diagram showing wiring for single input and bi-amp, which would be the best way to wire them?

nismos14 is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)

How much power do you have on tap? I would just go with a single input first, if you like it like that leave it.

Car audio IS an addiction.
    C.A.A.A Member #1
    (Car Audio Addicts Anonymous)
    Refs http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278560-nismos14-feedback-refs-thread.html

Closed Thread

User Tag List