Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: I got a big problem with my polks

Racerx250 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got a big problem with my polks

Yesterday when I got off of work I turned the knob a little to high on accident and I think my front right tweeter blew. Is there any way to tell if its blown. It dosen't make any sound at all. No buzz no nothing. Please give me some help here.

Bought from - Shallowfu mattmcss bholtmeier apw122 cam5860 KINGDELL91 impalafan95 six501 skydeaner Amalan Datboiroy X5(met in person) dalucifer lrc131 tEh koRnDog civicsimomo JoeSmith502 matthewo Cguth hessdawg lilmaniac2(X2) lil_italy773 na_rsx tdeaton1021

Traded With - Beerdrnkr freezeman_7 cd6551 SoCalBean420

Sold to - vitveet memphisflex Blinkdogo2 kruler

There's more but I can't remember who.

Up Coming plans for my silverado
    9887(still need)
    6.5 ID OEM, Hertz HT30 tweets, Sundown 100.4
    Sundown 1500(still need), (1) 2005 12" RE XXX
    2.5cu. ft. @ 32(still need)
    2 yellow tops

ace_800 is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Re: I got a big problem with my polks

Take it out and check it against a multimeter. If your not getting any sound though and everythings hooked up correctly, its gone.

Current set up: Island bombed out 92 mazda 626. Stock rust bucket

66 Pontiac GTO, modified stock radio, Crossfire CFA 302, Kicker KS6.2's in the front kicks, Crossfire CFA 452 for the 6x9's I need.

tez4life is offline Premium Member tez4life is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its prob blown. Polks have some of the most sensitive tweeters on the market I think. I just picked up some Momo 5x7 off this for, they were in perfect like new shape. RMS on them was 80w I used a Orion 4002 which puts out 100w by 2 at 4 ohm. Gains set low, I ran them for a day, could smell them so I turned it down. Next day, going to the store, my tweeters sounded like they were going in and out then they just stopped completely.

I have been using polk stuff since the late 90s and the tweeters sound great, just dont like anything above there RMS.

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

System is a work in progress.

shadetree is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i've blown many of polk tweets they just can't hang bottom line they sound nice just can't handle abuse. there freakin weak man!!!!

tez4life is offline Premium Member tez4life is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
    i've blown many of polk tweets they just can't hang bottom line they sound nice just can't handle abuse. there freakin weak man!!!!

x2

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

****..... i just got paid yesterday and blew my speakers at the exact same time... is it the sign im thinkin it is?

Bought from - Shallowfu mattmcss bholtmeier apw122 cam5860 KINGDELL91 impalafan95 six501 skydeaner Amalan Datboiroy X5(met in person) dalucifer lrc131 tEh koRnDog civicsimomo JoeSmith502 matthewo Cguth hessdawg lilmaniac2(X2) lil_italy773 na_rsx tdeaton1021

9887(still need)
    2 yellow tops

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Racerx250 View Post
    ****..... i just got paid yesterday and blew my speakers at the exact same time... is it the sign im thinkin it is?
    Lol, maybe just curious what model Polks did you have?

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Polk MOMO MMC6500

9887(still need)
    2 yellow tops

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You would'nt happen to have a tweeter from that set you'd like to sell would you?

9887(still need)
    2 yellow tops

AJČ06 is offline 8====D ---> ( | ) = win

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

lol
    I also need new tweets

http://www.myspace.com/unknownbelow
    Refs: Showrides|IonSQL x2|mattmcss|QtrHorse x2|DaGh0st|bjfish11
    حَتَّى إِذَا اجْتَزْتُ وَادِي ظِلاَلِ الْمَوْتِ، لاَ أَخَافُ سُوءاً لأَنَّكَ تُرَافِقُنِي. عَصَاكَ وَعُكَّازُكَ هُمَا مَعِي يُشَدِّدَانِ عَزِيمَتِي.
    Ebay:aj06silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Reson8 View Post
    Much as I shudder at the thought of potentially seeing your *****, writing caraudio.com on your dick would kick ***. Que the joke about only being able to get up to "CAR" on it....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Racerx250 View Post
    You would'nt happen to have a tweeter from that set you'd like to sell would you?

Was that for me? If so naw, thats whats wrong with mine, the d@mn tweeter went out a day after I bought them. I had the Polk MMC 570. Im not sure what im going to do with them, they still work just no tweeter at all. I would give them away, if someone wanted to cover shipping.

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

SRim23 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i think u can order them from polk for like 60 a piece.

the car i own right now had polk momo's in it when i bought it. when i got it both tweets were blown so i bought a new set. for about 3 months i was running them active off 150 rms a piece and had no problems.

right now i am running them bi amped through the polk crossovers on 120 rms with absolutely no probs....i think what im getting at is ive put mine through about 5 months of abuse(bought them used on the forum) with zero problems maybe check the install? are your gains set properly, clipping them at all? im fortunate to have a clipping indicator on my current jbl amp so i know if i am or not. maybe everyone thats having issues just didnt have them set properly?

did you buy them authorized? if so they have a 3 year warranty on them. might be worth trying to get them warrantied. there was a guy a few months ago selling some momo tweets on here but he wanted like 120 bucks for them.

sold to : vitveet, ZeroAccess, Regalboi97 bought from: pboulos, mikescanlon, pickup1, konechiwa, CaliforniabOY5, desertheat
    Quote Originally Posted by DDeitz View Post
    blacks buy cars owned by white men who were designed by asians and made by mexicans ...see everyone contributes to the cycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Willkas View Post
    today I was messin with my newly installed subs, i really have no clue what they are but they're definatly old school. Out of nowhere, it burts into awesome mode and starts shaking the garage doors of the entire lot ( work in a auto shop).
    I just want to here some theories how this happened.
    In case you were wondering I drive a tahoe and when I say loud I mean loud to the point that your ears will pop and it starts hurting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Naw, I bought them used on this forum. They were in perfect shape, its def not the sellers fault, it mine. I have owned plenty of polk speakers over the years and they all do this, any time I run more than the RMS the tweeter goes. I have a set of EX3 5x7s that I bought for lil or nothing brand new from Crutchfield, RMS 60w fed them 75w (of a MTX 342) and the tweeter went. My cousin bought the same speakers at the same time but ran his off a small kicker
    (37.5 x 2) and the same thing happen. Im very familar with setting gains, and have quite a few years exp install car audio, so I know its not that. I figured the extra 20w over RMS from my Orion should have not cooked them like it did.

I may hand on to them and order new tweeters like you did, but I dont want to risk the chance of frying them again lol.

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

MBrock4u is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Humm, I have never had any problems with my polk tweets or the momo's. They sound great and seem to handle whatever I give them. This is all news to me. Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MBrock4u View Post
    Humm, I have never had any problems with my polk tweets or the momo's. They sound great and seem to handle whatever I give them. This is all news to me. Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with them.
    I apperciate that. This is the first set of Momos I have owned (previous polk I had were the EX2, DB (old school ones from late 90s) and the EX3s. Like I said, may have been a error on my part, but that extra 20w should have not hurt them. I have a nice clean signal coming in from my Audiocontrol Four1 and the gain on the Orion 4002 was all the way down. Its cool though....

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast