Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Mixing speakers up...question...

Cyrax89721 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mixing speakers up...question...

For my front's I currently have a pair of Boston Z6's which don't put out nearly as much bass as I wish they did. I'm planning on purchasing a pair of the Rockford T162S(they seem good enough for the price). My question is, are crossovers specifically dedicated to their own speaker type?
    What I want to do is take the Boston mids out of the front, replace them with the Rockford's (while keeping the Boston tweets up front) and put the Boston mids in back in combination with the Rockford tweets. Would this be alright, or am I going to run into some horrible logistical problems?

tez4life is offline Premium Member tez4life is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Mixing speakers up...question...

it will give you sound, but its not going to sound right. Crossovers in Comp sets were design for certain drivers to give the best possible sound, when you start mixing them with different drivers, its going to cause some isssues.

However, im not saying not to do it, but its a good chance its not going to sound good at all.

Why not just sell your Bostons and get a new set of comps that satify you more?

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

System is a work in progress.

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrax89721 View Post
    For my front's I currently have a pair of Boston Z6's which don't put out nearly as much bass as I wish they did. I'm planning on purchasing a pair of the Rockford T162S(they seem good enough for the price). My question is, are crossovers specifically dedicated to their own speaker type?
    What I want to do is take the Boston mids out of the front, replace them with the Rockford's (while keeping the Boston tweets up front) and put the Boston mids in back in combination with the Rockford tweets. Would this be alright, or am I going to run into some horrible logistical problems?
    try knocking 1 of the mids 180 out of phase? (simple to do just switch the + and - wires on the speaker. another thing to do is to see what the speakers are mounted in and playing with a better seal between front and back of the speaker, more or less volume of air space behind the speaker....

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Gary S is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great advice from both of the above posters.

T162S are excellent for the price, very good speakers... but they might not be the best choice if you are looking for more midbass.

I would recommend Orion HCCA 6.2 - also, if your high pass crossover goes low enough, try setting it around 60hz instead of the typical 80 - 100 hz on the Orion's to get more midbass out of them.

For Sale

Kicker C15C-4 Competition 15" 4-ohm subwoofer, new in box, old stock

Soundstream Reference 405 5-channel amplifier

(2) Parts Express DVC12 12 inch subwoofers

Send a private message to me for more details on these products.

Closed Thread