Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Personal opinions on comps

I am shopping (probably a few months away from buying) for some new components and a good two channel amp. I am running an 880prs to some entry level boston acoustic comps with no amp. I have 2 10" IDQ's running off of a PG xenon 600.1. The two sets that I am most strongly considering are the Boston Pro's and the Pioneer PRS720's. What are your opinions on the two? I'm going to get a solid amp for whichever I choise. I'm leaning toward the Gladius with burr-brown. As I said before, it'll be a while before I have the money to make the purchase, but I'm trying to weigh out my options. I really like the way the pros look and the option of mounting the tweets coax is nice, I have a spot for my tweeters up toward the top of the door, but having the option of coax will just give me one more location to audition. I'm looking to stay under $300 for the comps, so if there are any other suggestions i'd love to hear them. Thanks.

tbasile1 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Personal opinions on comps

Both of them are good comps, stick to components!!

And go see if you can listen to both of these comp sets, or any comps for that matter, see what you like out there at the shops

REFS:

sold to "Benilson09"

gijoe is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, I have heard the Pro's and I like them. I can't find anywhere or anyone with the 720's though. Colorado has a terrible car audio scene. The only places in Denver for car audio are BB, CC, Cartoys, Ultimate and Quality Auto Sound. So I don't have any real reputable places to shop. I hear there's a good shop a couple hours away in Colorado Springs maybe some day I'll have to take a drive. I just want a solid upgrade for these bostons I'm running, I guess amping them would make a big difference, so maybe I should be shoping for an amp first. One that wont destroy these speakers but give me enough power for a nice set of comps down the road.

tbasile1 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Amping components is a must!!

REFS:

sold to "Benilson09"

kross is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Start with an amp first. Even Boston Acoustic's cheapest components will sound good with an amp.

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

i would get the amp first and see how you like what you have now. if you switch speakers the boston pro in coax mode would work well in a simple kick panel install

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1164 Post(s)

I heard the 720's a few weeks back and liked them, but that was on a board and no idea how they were tuned. Also doesn't mean you'll like them.

IMO get an amp first if you're considering keeping what you have. Otherwise I'd suggest going active since you have an 880. LOTS of good mids/tweets out there in your budget range and you can get a LOT more for your $$$ that way.

Check out DIYma for plenty of reviews/tests and proven combos. Then browse madisound & partsexpress for drivers/prices.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks everyone. Going active is an option, but I'm less than confident in my tuning abilities. I think I'll shop for an amp first, then down the road consider new comps. I don't really want to buy an amp then end up replacing it. So i need to decide whether or not I'll ever go active. I don't want to spend a lot on a good 2 channel, then decide to go active. And I don't want to spend a lot on a good 4 channel, and never end up using the other 2 channels. Maybe I'll look for a cheap used 2 channel for now, just to hear how my s60's sound, before deciding whether or not to go active. Thanks again for all of the helpfull input.

DejaWiz is offline Speaker Bee-otch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Going active is good advice. Once you do your research, you can scour the for sale section for a strong 4 channel amp and then go to the stores mlstrass mentioned to buy the mids and tweeters.

If you don't want want to go active and run a 4 channel amp, then I'd start by getting a 2 channel amp for the comps you have now to see if it makes the difference you are wanting.

And if you do want to audition the 720PRS's, you might have to call Drive In Radio in Colorado Springs to see of they have them and then make the 50 mile trek out there.

What model BA comps do you currently have and, if you want to start out by amping them, what's your amp budget?

2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

Setting Amp Gains:
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/Den_of_Dragons/topic/508709/1/

References
    Bought from: jacobcopeland87, 95bat, alxmlr789, na_rsx

2wheeler is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    Thanks everyone. Going active is an option, but I'm less than confident in my tuning abilities. I think I'll shop for an amp first, then down the road consider new comps. I don't really want to buy an amp then end up replacing it. So i need to decide whether or not I'll ever go active. I don't want to spend a lot on a good 2 channel, then decide to go active. And I don't want to spend a lot on a good 4 channel, and never end up using the other 2 channels. Maybe I'll look for a cheap used 2 channel for now, just to hear how my s60's sound, before deciding whether or not to go active. Thanks again for all of the helpfull input.
    Get a 4 channel amp. Bridge the thing to 2 channels and run your current comps. Use all 4 channels if/when you go active.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

More great ideas, thanks again. I'm running the S60's, I feel that I owe it to BA and myself to see how they sound amped, so I think I'll make that me first step. I think they take about 50 watts, but I want an amp that will put out more and give me room for upgrading my comps. I'm definatly not opposed to going active, but although I can hear the differences in a decent and good setup I don't know if I understand tuning enough to properly tune an active setup. I suppose I could get a four channel and use it on my s60's then, if i go active I can always ask you all for advice on how to tune it. So now I guess I should be asking for advice on a 4 channel that would meet the needs stated throughout this thread.

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

you can always go with more power than 50 watts to them just be carefull not to turn up the gains too high and listening to the comps at high enough volume that they start popping

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Closed Thread

User Tag List