Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Boston SX60 vs Alpine SPR-17C

Currently runnin stock and ready for an upgrade.
    Ready to install:
    HU- Kenwood KDC-X890
    AMP- Alpine 4x40rms

Rear speakers 6x9? I like the Alpine SPS-69C3

How much better are the Boston Acoustic SX60 components over the Alpine SPR-17C?

I already have the Alpine's NIB, so I would take a loss by selling them and upgrading to the B/A's.
    From my understanding, the BA's don't have as much bass as the Alpines and are a little bright.

spudracer326 is offline has a bastard system

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Boston SX60 vs Alpine SPR-17C

give the new type r's enough power and for the money they are amazing...just need a TON of power...300rms-500rms a side...bostons need a ton of power too...something it doesnt look like you have...either set bridge that amp on em..and ditch the rear fill...

thefunkybunch is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the SX boston's don't need a lot of power, 50-75rms is more than enough to push them sufficiently. i don't know who you've been talking to, but the boston's will have way more midbass than the alpines, and bright? i have not personally heard the F#1 speakers, and for the kinda cash that they cost they better be the exception, but i have not heard a set of alpines, with any power combination, that doesn't sound like you're listening to them through a tin can. their type r subs are decent. speakers? i wouldn't have them. we've carried boston and alpine speakers at the shop (amongst others) for ever, and anybody that actually listens to the alpines compared to the boston speakers will pick the bostons every single time, regardless of price. the bostons are a better speaker, hands down.

having said that, if you already own the alpines, then by all means you should use them. you already paid for them, so go with it. if you like them, then great. if you're not happy with their performance, then look into something else and sell the alpines. there are a lot of great speakers out there, just take it as a lesson learned and ignore all price tags, listen to several different sets of speakers, side by side if possible, and then make your decision. i always tell customers to close their eyes and just listen to speaker A and B... which one do you liek better. funny thing is, a lot of times, the speaker that sounds better to them, isn't necessarily the most expensive. but if it is more than you have to spend, then save your money, and come back when you do have enough. becaue you will always remember that XXXXXX is the speaker you reeeaaaally want, but didn't have the cash, so settled for YYYYYYYYYYY instead. you will eventually end up getting your original choice, but after a lot of extra money spent on other speakers you settled on because they were cheaper. in the end, if you do it right the first time, you won't have to worry about upgrading time and time again until you get ot the same point anyways.

Trac is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@thefunkybunch,
    Thanks for your reply. I thought it was just me, I've listened to so many speakers since purchasing the Alpine r's and I don't get it. I got them at a tent sale so they weren't a bad price, but now I don't want them in my SUV.
    Everything I listen to Polks, Eclipse, Infinity, sound better than the Alpine's.
    Locally, Boston's are not available so I can't test them out, but I can get a set(new) for $130.
    About the Amp, it will be mounted in a location that is easy to upgrade when ready, and I'm pretty confident, that with 5v preaouts(HU) and the Amp gain all the way up, the Alpine will be clean and powerful.
    I'll take a small hit on the Alpine r's but it's worth it.
    Thanks for your advice.

edit; A comment from an internet outlet for the Boston's

Installation Details for your 2001 Blazer-
    To install this speaker in your Front Door you must remove the factory speaker brackets, drill out rivets to remove the factory speaker brackets, a speaker adapter bracket is required.
    Is this BS or do I need this bracket, or some other bracket to install the Bostons?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Trac; 09-17-2007 at 02:54 AM.

mledez is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What was you decision??

How good are the Type R coaxs "SPR-17C", I'm considering also the PG RSD6.5, please let me know what do you think ???

I have 4x120RMS Eclipse Amp.

Closed Thread

User Tag List