Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Reload Thread: active xover

  1. #1
    jellyfish420's Avatar
    jellyfish420 is offline i design boxes .......



    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    STL ill side
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    active xover

    well i finally did it. i'm using the active xover on my hu. right now i have the sub @ 50, mid 100>2.5k and high 4k all @ 24db/oct. it don't sound bad, but i def need to play w/ it. i know every install is different, but i was wondering...to all of you who are running an active setup, where is your xover points? so i can have an idea of at least where i should be starting, then tweek around w/ it. thanks.



    NEED A BOX DESIGN? PM ME


    HEAD UNIT
    860mp
    ACTIVE FRONT STAGE
    JBL GTO75.4 II
    RE 6.5
    VIFA XT25 ring radiator 1"
    SUB STAGE
    ega 1400d
    3HP FI
    STOLEN




  2. #2
    BEHEMOTH's Avatar
    BEHEMOTH is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    houston
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: active xover

    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish420 View Post
    well i finally did it. i'm using the active xover on my hu. right now i have the sub @ 50, mid 100>2.5k and high 4k all @ 24db/oct. it don't sound bad, but i def need to play w/ it. i know every install is different, but i was wondering...to all of you who are running an active setup, where is your xover points? so i can have an idea of at least where i should be starting, then tweek around w/ it. thanks.

    what kind of hu are you using?




  3. #3
    ngsm13's Avatar
    ngsm13 is offline BSEE



    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    35,730
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: active xover

    Sub: 63hz lowpass @12dB/oct
    Mids: 80hz highpass @24 dB/oct, and 1.6kHz @12dB/oct
    Tweets: 2khz Highpass @12dB/oct, -4dB down

    I have my gain on my tweeter amp too far up, too lazy to readjust it... so I just use the attenuation on the HU. I've also had the Mids up to 2kHz @18dB/oct, while the Tweets picked up at 2.5kHz @12dB/oct.

    I love active, been running it over 2.5 years, don't thing I'll ever go back.

    nG




    http://crunktimes.com/ct/
    nG - BSEE

  4. #4
    jellyfish420's Avatar
    jellyfish420 is offline i design boxes .......

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    STL ill side
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: active xover

    its better to xover the mid as low as you can go w/ the tweet, isn't it, like xover the tweet all the way down to 2k, if it'll go that low, so the mid doesn't have to play all that high?



    NEED A BOX DESIGN? PM ME


    HEAD UNIT
    860mp
    ACTIVE FRONT STAGE
    JBL GTO75.4 II
    RE 6.5
    VIFA XT25 ring radiator 1"
    SUB STAGE
    ega 1400d
    3HP FI
    STOLEN

  5. #5
    BEHEMOTH's Avatar
    BEHEMOTH is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    houston
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: active xover

    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish420 View Post
    its better to xover the mid as low as you can go w/ the tweet, isn't it, like xover the tweet all the way down to 2k, if it'll go that low, so the mid doesn't have to play all that high?
    what kind of hu are you running x2




  6. #6
    BEHEMOTH's Avatar
    BEHEMOTH is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    houston
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: active xover





  7. #7
    jellyfish420's Avatar
    jellyfish420 is offline i design boxes .......

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    STL ill side
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: active xover

    WTF noob. learn how to read, and STFU.



    NEED A BOX DESIGN? PM ME


    HEAD UNIT
    860mp
    ACTIVE FRONT STAGE
    JBL GTO75.4 II
    RE 6.5
    VIFA XT25 ring radiator 1"
    SUB STAGE
    ega 1400d
    3HP FI
    STOLEN

  8. #8
    xtremekustomz's Avatar
    xtremekustomz is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northwest Florida
    Posts
    750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: active xover

    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish420 View Post
    its better to xover the mid as low as you can go w/ the tweet, isn't it, like xover the tweet all the way down to 2k, if it'll go that low, so the mid doesn't have to play all that high?
    Actually you want your midrange to play the most frequencies possible. Of course it is going to depend on if your midrange can actually do that. I know Hybrid Audio makes a 3" driver that can play from 140-10000 and a 4" that can play from 100-17000 with the proper crossover. It is best to have the majority of what we hear come from 1 point source. I personally run my midbass from 40-140, midrange from 140-4k, and tweet from 4k up. The best thing about running active is that you can change crossover points and slopes easily to find what works best in your particular vehicle.



    2000 Chevrolet Silverado Ext. Cab
    Headunit: Alpine IVA-W200
    Processor:Alpine PXA-H701
    Front Stage Tweeter: Canton Pullman
    Front Stage Midrange:Canton Pullman 4"
    Front Stage Midbass:Dynaudio MW170
    Subwoofer:Image Dynamics IDMAX 12"
    Front Stage Tweeter Amp:US Amps USA 50X
    Front Stage Midrange Amp:US Amps USA 200X
    Front Stage Midbass Amp:US Amps USA 200X
    Sub Amp:US Amps USA 600
    Wiring and Distribution:Stinger
    Deadener:125 sq ft Raamat, 7 yds Ensolite, 2 qts roadkill
    Fiberglass dash, console/woofer box, amp rack, door panels

  9. #9
    MiniVanMan's Avatar
    MiniVanMan is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lockport, IL
    Posts
    339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: active xover

    Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz View Post
    Actually you want your midrange to play the most frequencies possible. Of course it is going to depend on if your midrange can actually do that. I know Hybrid Audio makes a 3" driver that can play from 140-10000 and a 4" that can play from 100-17000 with the proper crossover. It is best to have the majority of what we hear come from 1 point source. I personally run my midbass from 40-140, midrange from 140-4k, and tweet from 4k up. The best thing about running active is that you can change crossover points and slopes easily to find what works best in your particular vehicle.
    Yes and no. In a 3-way you have the luxury of running your midranges a bit higher. In a 2-way with a 7" driver not so much. The point where a 7" driver starts to beam, and off-axis response starts to degrade is much lower than a 4" or 3" midrange. A 7" driver will typically start to beam around 2k, so you definitely want your tweeter to start being able to take over by that point. That is, given the midbass is mounted in the doors. Mounted in kicks on-axis is a different story.

    The argument about crossover points in the middle of the midrange frequencies is valid but moot when talking about a 2-way with a 6.5 or 7" mid. It's unavoidable at that point, and one of the reasons that an active crossover is highly desireable over a passive in that you can tune the system to where you can blend the mid and tweeter as well as can be expected, with a minimal of degradation at the crossover point.

    So, you want your tweeter to take over as low as it can handle in a 2-way. Remember, with door mounted drivers, we're often talking about running a midbass at 60-80 degrees off-axis. That's asking a lot from any driver.

    Here's a link. I've posted it on this site before, but I'm tired of trying to find it here as it got buried.

    http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ead.php?t=7107



    2007 Chrysler Town & Country Type R

    Being installed as we speak
    Mids: 7" Scan Speak Revelator
    Tweets: Lotus RT27F
    Subs: Dayton RS315HO (x2)

    H/U: Eclipse 8053
    Amps: Memphis ST1500, ST200.4, ST150

    Want to understand your passive crossover a little better??

    http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...0&page=1&pp=10

    Your ability to buy expensive audio equipment does NOT make you an "audiophile"

  10. #10
    xtremekustomz's Avatar
    xtremekustomz is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northwest Florida
    Posts
    750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: active xover

    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish420 View Post
    well i finally did it. i'm using the active xover on my hu. right now i have the sub @ 50, mid 100>2.5k and high 4k all @ 24db/oct. it don't sound bad, but i def need to play w/ it. i know every install is different, but i was wondering...to all of you who are running an active setup, where is your xover points? so i can have an idea of at least where i should be starting, then tweek around w/ it. thanks.
    So you've got the sub from we will just say 0-50hz, the mid from 100-2.5k and your tweets from 4k-20k at 24db/octave? What are you doing the frequencies between 50-100 and 2.5-4k? You are going to need to play around with your crossover points in your own vehicle. No one can tell you what will work best because not every vehicle and setup is the same. It is all going to be trial and error



    2000 Chevrolet Silverado Ext. Cab
    Headunit: Alpine IVA-W200
    Processor:Alpine PXA-H701
    Front Stage Tweeter: Canton Pullman
    Front Stage Midrange:Canton Pullman 4"
    Front Stage Midbass:Dynaudio MW170
    Subwoofer:Image Dynamics IDMAX 12"
    Front Stage Tweeter Amp:US Amps USA 50X
    Front Stage Midrange Amp:US Amps USA 200X
    Front Stage Midbass Amp:US Amps USA 200X
    Sub Amp:US Amps USA 600
    Wiring and Distribution:Stinger
    Deadener:125 sq ft Raamat, 7 yds Ensolite, 2 qts roadkill
    Fiberglass dash, console/woofer box, amp rack, door panels

  11. #11
    xtremekustomz's Avatar
    xtremekustomz is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northwest Florida
    Posts
    750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: active xover

    Quote Originally Posted by MiniVanMan View Post
    Yes and no. In a 3-way you have the luxury of running your midranges a bit higher. In a 2-way with a 7" driver not so much. The point where a 7" driver starts to beam, and off-axis response starts to degrade is much lower than a 4" or 3" midrange. A 7" driver will typically start to beam around 2k, so you definitely want your tweeter to start being able to take over by that point. That is, given the midbass is mounted in the doors. Mounted in kicks on-axis is a different story.

    The argument about crossover points in the middle of the midrange frequencies is valid but moot when talking about a 2-way with a 6.5 or 7" mid. It's unavoidable at that point, and one of the reasons that an active crossover is highly desireable over a passive in that you can tune the system to where you can blend the mid and tweeter as well as can be expected, with a minimal of degradation at the crossover point.

    So, you want your tweeter to take over as low as it can handle in a 2-way. Remember, with door mounted drivers, we're often talking about running a midbass at 60-80 degrees off-axis. That's asking a lot from any driver.

    Here's a link. I've posted it on this site before, but I'm tired of trying to find it here as it got buried.

    http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ead.php?t=7107
    I didn't look at his sig and see he was using a 6.5" Personally I don't like running anything larger than a 5 1/4 to cover midrange frequencies in a car.



    2000 Chevrolet Silverado Ext. Cab
    Headunit: Alpine IVA-W200
    Processor:Alpine PXA-H701
    Front Stage Tweeter: Canton Pullman
    Front Stage Midrange:Canton Pullman 4"
    Front Stage Midbass:Dynaudio MW170
    Subwoofer:Image Dynamics IDMAX 12"
    Front Stage Tweeter Amp:US Amps USA 50X
    Front Stage Midrange Amp:US Amps USA 200X
    Front Stage Midbass Amp:US Amps USA 200X
    Sub Amp:US Amps USA 600
    Wiring and Distribution:Stinger
    Deadener:125 sq ft Raamat, 7 yds Ensolite, 2 qts roadkill
    Fiberglass dash, console/woofer box, amp rack, door panels

  12. #12
    jellyfish420's Avatar
    jellyfish420 is offline i design boxes .......

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    STL ill side
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: active xover

    Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz View Post
    So you've got the sub from we will just say 0-50hz, the mid from 100-2.5k and your tweets from 4k-20k at 24db/octave? What are you doing the frequencies between 50-100 and 2.5-4k? You are going to need to play around with your crossover points in your own vehicle. No one can tell you what will work best because not every vehicle and setup is the same. It is all going to be trial and error
    that is just where i started. i've got the sub at 63 @12db mid at 80 and 2k @ 24db, and the tweet 2.5k @ 24db. i've played around a little and i think it sounds pretty good there. thats where the sound surrounds you real good i would really like to get an RTA though...



    NEED A BOX DESIGN? PM ME


    HEAD UNIT
    860mp
    ACTIVE FRONT STAGE
    JBL GTO75.4 II
    RE 6.5
    VIFA XT25 ring radiator 1"
    SUB STAGE
    ega 1400d
    3HP FI
    STOLEN

  13. #13
    xtremekustomz's Avatar
    xtremekustomz is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northwest Florida
    Posts
    750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: active xover

    I'm guessing you are just using the eq in the head unit right?

    Here is a quick tutorial on tuning if you have the ability in the head unit:

    http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showt...threadid=98293



    2000 Chevrolet Silverado Ext. Cab
    Headunit: Alpine IVA-W200
    Processor:Alpine PXA-H701
    Front Stage Tweeter: Canton Pullman
    Front Stage Midrange:Canton Pullman 4"
    Front Stage Midbass:Dynaudio MW170
    Subwoofer:Image Dynamics IDMAX 12"
    Front Stage Tweeter Amp:US Amps USA 50X
    Front Stage Midrange Amp:US Amps USA 200X
    Front Stage Midbass Amp:US Amps USA 200X
    Sub Amp:US Amps USA 600
    Wiring and Distribution:Stinger
    Deadener:125 sq ft Raamat, 7 yds Ensolite, 2 qts roadkill
    Fiberglass dash, console/woofer box, amp rack, door panels

  14. #14
    jellyfish420's Avatar
    jellyfish420 is offline i design boxes .......

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    STL ill side
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: active xover

    Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz View Post
    I'm guessing you are just using the eq in the head unit right?

    Here is a quick tutorial on tuning if you have the ability in the head unit:

    http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showt...threadid=98293
    ya, just using the hu, 13 band. nothing special but ALOT better than "bass" and "treble".



    NEED A BOX DESIGN? PM ME


    HEAD UNIT
    860mp
    ACTIVE FRONT STAGE
    JBL GTO75.4 II
    RE 6.5
    VIFA XT25 ring radiator 1"
    SUB STAGE
    ega 1400d
    3HP FI
    STOLEN

  15. #15
    mlstrass's Avatar
    mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: active xover

    RTA "might" help, but it's your ears you're trying to please, so use them as your guide.

    Your current settings sound pretty right on as far as xovers. Not just spend some time tweaking EQ settings do dial it in.

    I like to make a change or two and listen for a few days to see if I like it before making more changes.




Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum