Closed Thread

Reload Thread: To kick or not to kick?

kross is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To kick or not to kick?

Howdy,

I'm upgrading my speakers to components. This is my first time with components. I've pretty much decided on Rainbow SLC 265. I just don't know if I should get the Kick version or not. Sure, I would love the higher end Rainbow products, but they're a bit out of my price range now.

I currently have 2 Kicker 10" Comps in a sealed box, with a Kicker zx300.1 amp. I also have a Kicker zx350.4 amp for the comps, currently powering 4 coaxials. It will be running bridged for 175x2 @ 4 ohms. I will not be running rear speakers with the comps. The comps will be mounted in the door, because I don't have room for kick pods.

The music I listen to: mostly electronica, industrial, some rock/heavy metal. Groups such as Delerium, Prodigy, Crystal Method, Yello, KMFDM, Front 242, and the occasional Metallica.

It's not all about bass. I want the vocals to be great, too. I want it to feel like Sarah McLaughlan singing for Delerium is right there in front of me. I want a good balanced sound, but capable of kicking some bass when needed.

Thanks for your help!
    -- Kevin

Latina33 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: To kick or not to kick?

Quote Originally Posted by kross View Post
    Howdy,

I'm upgrading my speakers to components. This is my first time with components. I've pretty much decided on Rainbow SLC 265. I just don't know if I should get the Kick version or not. Sure, I would love the higher end Rainbow products, but they're a bit out of my price range now.

I currently have 2 Kicker 10" Comps in a sealed box, with a Kicker zx300.1 amp. I also have a Kicker zx350.4 amp for the comps, currently powering 4 coaxials. It will be running bridged for 175x2 @ 4 ohms. I will not be running rear speakers with the comps. The comps will be mounted in the door, because I don't have room for kick pods.

The music I listen to: mostly electronica, industrial, some rock/heavy metal. Groups such as Delerium, Prodigy, Crystal Method, Yello, KMFDM, Front 242, and the occasional Metallica.

It's not all about bass. I want the vocals to be great, too. I want it to feel like Sarah McLaughlan singing for Delerium is right there in front of me. I want a good balanced sound, but capable of kicking some bass when needed.

Thanks for your help!
    -- Kevin
    175x2 on a set of SLC 265's is gonna sound real nice! I would get the Kick version, if you could get a set for just a little more money than the regular version. I really enjoyed my SLC Kicks, ESPECIALLY when I played electronica/latin freestyle/general techno/hip hop.

I've got a 12 in a sealed box for my substage, and it worked really well with my Kicks...and I had 200x2 going to them, with gains set conservatively.

Go with the Kicks if you can!

Refs: jacka, PremierAudio, BoondockSaints, mlstrass, flava30

3.5Max6spd is offline yo mama no wear no draws

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For your style music and midrange demands, sounds like the CMX265's are a very good choice as well.

rainbow....homemade sounds best
    DYNAUDIO E S O T E C....Mobile Fidelity

Panasonic Vacuum Tube
    TRU Technology SSLD6
    TRU Technology STEEL S44 & S500
    DYNAUDIO Esotec System 362
    Dynaudio MW190 12" (x2) IB
    Stinger Expert/Esoteric Audio Isopath/Cascade

Refs-NE14MX , jdavis37, anarchy57, mj121983 , ll kadoy ll, TheBigDu , cdj ,Kawasaki STX-R ,Fdeez ,Ksin291,meangta, lil azn 06, HAVINGFUN, Loud1500, Flipx99 , jjunior887 ,mastarecoil ,slammed , T3mpest ,westerbud, Airman21, bconn587, LexNBimmer,namike, alphakenny1, HebrewHammer,chadillac,remiserg, purerx7tt, OCURIEL, coneO,Igno,Iluvzmzm,godzukiduce,CrazedCat,skylar11 2,
    bose301s,qwertvt

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm willing to consider that as an option, too. I don't want a harsh sound, which is why I was leaning towards the silk tweet of the SLC vs metal CMX's.

It ***** that I can't listen to any of them before buying, though. But I'm confident with all the rave reviews on here that I won't be disappointed.

Thanks!
    -- Kevin

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey Latina33,

I see you've had both SLC265 Kicks and CMX 265's. Which do you prefer for that style of music?

3.5Max6spd is offline yo mama no wear no draws

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The SLC trebble can satisfy most, just dont qualify the Cal25Titan as harsh because of dome property- it offers a pretty smooth, enjoyable rolloff where detail and air is not compromised for the most part. It is driver for driver a better set in the end. But both satisfy in terms of reproduction in their respective price range. I simply see for your choice of music the CMX's handling all that information with less gritt, as silks can tend to get trying to reproduce playing complex passages at loud volumes.

rainbow....homemade sounds best
    DYNAUDIO E S O T E C....Mobile Fidelity

Panasonic Vacuum Tube
    TRU Technology SSLD6
    TRU Technology STEEL S44 & S500
    DYNAUDIO Esotec System 362
    Dynaudio MW190 12" (x2) IB
    Stinger Expert/Esoteric Audio Isopath/Cascade

Refs-NE14MX , jdavis37, anarchy57, mj121983 , ll kadoy ll, TheBigDu , cdj ,Kawasaki STX-R ,Fdeez ,Ksin291,meangta, lil azn 06, HAVINGFUN, Loud1500, Flipx99 , jjunior887 ,mastarecoil ,slammed , T3mpest ,westerbud, Airman21, bconn587, LexNBimmer,namike, alphakenny1, HebrewHammer,chadillac,remiserg, purerx7tt, OCURIEL, coneO,Igno,Iluvzmzm,godzukiduce,CrazedCat,skylar11 2,
    bose301s,qwertvt

Closed Thread