Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Components with good passive crossovers.

bchandler is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Components with good passive crossovers.

I don't know if I'm ready to go active yet, so I am considering some components with good factory crossovers. I am going to be using a PG Xenon 200.2 amp (200x2 rms). I was thinking along the lines of a polyglass or SLC set. The tweeter and mid will be on the same plane, angled upwards from the stock speaker location using a fiberglass pod.

Are Focal and Rainbow crossovers pretty good from the factory? Also, what exactly is the difference between going two channel passive and 4 channel bi-amping? I know the difference between the physical wiring, but does bi-amping give any benefits compared to passive?

CarAudio.com References:
    Bad95gt, rtillaree, mobeious, 6spdcoupe
    SoundDomain.com References:
    Matthias009
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Verified PayPal member for 7 years with 78 Verified Buyers

headless is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Components with good passive crossovers.

The Rainbow Germaniums have some really flexible passive x-overs - independently adjustable crossover freqencies (2.2khz, 2.6khz) for tweets and woofers - biamp capable, tweeters have jumpers for 4 different levels of attenuation. PTC tweeter protection. Rock on. The crossovers from my (much more expensive) power line CS don't even have near as many options

2 channel passive is when you push 1 channel to the tweets and the woofers per side. If you 4-channel bi-amp the set, you use 2 channels per side. You can as a result adjust the tweeter and woofer independently on each side of the car volume wise. The passive x-over is still used, but you can set the tweeter attenuation to off and adjust it on your amplifier separately from your woofer channels since they are separately run from your amp. The downside is, most amplifiers don't deliver near as much power per channel as they do when bridged down My set got considerably louder with my amp bridged at 2x140w or so (and now, 2x320w hehe) rather than 4x50 (or now 4x85 or so).

where in florida are you?

Eclipse CD7000 - RioCar Empeg 3
    Rainbow Powerline CS 275.27 / Arc Audio 4150 XXK (Woofers) - Arc Audio 2100 XXK (Tweeters)
    Rainbow Vanadium 12 x2 / Arc Audio 1500 XXK
    Quote Originally Posted by TEAM HAMMER
    Your so full of Crap! The last place you want a Midbass or Sub is in front of you Retard Whens the last time you seen a 12in+ sub up front?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdawson72
    Technically, bigger wire has more resistance.

GlasSman#1 is offline Master FAbric8tor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quart QSD has some nice passives.

////Alpine/MB Quart/Image Dynamics/Soundstream/PG

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/778875

genxx is offline Team JL Audio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

X2-Rainbow Germaniums. The Polk SR have very good Zobel passives x-over with them.

Yes, Focal and Rainbow have good factory passive networks. Any of the high-end or good manufactures are going to provide a suffecient factory crossover network. Generally the high up the food chain you go the better they get but this is not always true.

2009 USACi Basic Consumer World Champion, '09 IASCA INAC 2nd Place, 2010 MECA Finals MODEX 4th, '10 OK MODEX State Champion--Addicted to Sound Quality
    '06 F250: JL-Zapco-Pioneer
    '08 Focus-Kenwood-Zapco-ID-Hertz
    Team JL Audio, Team RAAMmat, Team Advantage Audio, Team MSE, Team Zapco

bchandler is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unfortunately, I can't afford the Germs. SLC Kicks are probably as high as I can go.

Running passive, is the power equally distributed to the mid and tweet? Like I said, I wanted to do a 200.2 amp, so 100 would be going to the tweet, and 100 to the mid? Or is there some way the crossover can distribute power more appropriately?

CarAudio.com References:
    Bad95gt, rtillaree, mobeious, 6spdcoupe
    SoundDomain.com References:
    Matthias009
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Verified PayPal member for 7 years with 78 Verified Buyers

Closed Thread