Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: speakers fine with no amp for this?

AuX
    AuX is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

speakers fine with no amp for this?

This is what I have just wondering do I need an amp or will it be fine just off the head unit?

Head unit: Pioneer DEH-P5850MP
    Speakers: Pioneer 6"x9" 300 watt TS-A6962E
    & Pioneer 160 watt 6.5" 2-Way Speaker TS-G1641R

Links
    DEH-P5850MP
    TS-G1641R
    TS-A6962E

OoMesKoO is offline Me > Newbs. :fyi:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: speakers fine with no amp for this?

Dude... Always amp up a set of aftermarket speakers.

::References::

Sold: BIG_SUPERMAN72, biggie5252, Anonymous User, mustangowner
    Traded: poundindak69, perfecxionX, CRXBMPN
    Bought: nismos14, JasonPaul, phoenixgoldfan1, ace 800, ABSOLUTEAUDIO, wu501

DejaWiz is offline Speaker Bee-otch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can you find the TS-D / REV series for reasonable (eBay or whatever)?

2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

Setting Amp Gains:
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/Den_of_Dragons/topic/508709/1/

References
    Bought from: jacobcopeland87, 95bat, alxmlr789, na_rsx

AuX

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OoMesKoO View Post
    Dude... Always amp up a set of aftermarket speakers.
    What amps should I be looking at :\ I'm afraid car audio isn't my strong point at all so I can only learn though if my budget doesn't stretch to allow me to get an amp just yet what results can I expect just lower quality sound?

Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's already got speakers, DejaWiz ~ buying more speakers wouldn't be especially helpful here, I don't think...

AuX ~
    Yes, you can power those speakers off of your HU and likely they'll sound somewhat better than the OEM speakers that they replaced.
    To get the real performance that they are capable of, however, you're going to want to go with an external amplifier rather than the smallish one in your headunit as the 15-20 watts per channel of clean power your headunit is capable of simply isn't up to the task of extracting the full potential from your aftermarket speakers.

Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]

AuX

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DejaWiz View Post
    Can you find the TS-D / REV series for reasonable (eBay or whatever)?
    I don't use ebay.

I can't afford them
    http://www.pioneer.com.au/products/c...91S/index.html
    basically what I brought was the best I could do with the money I could afford to spend on car audio, I tried to get the best head unit for the $ I had and some ok speakers that will tire me over until I can afford to spend money on higher quality ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prowler573 View Post
    He's already got speakers, DejaWiz ~ buying more speakers wouldn't be especially helpful here, I don't think...
    Ahh shoot! This morning, reading > me apparently.

Sorry AUX, I thought you were about to buy the speakers you listed in the first post.

I'd follow the advice of Prowler, even a smallish amp (say, 4x50w rms) can make a world of difference.

2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

Setting Amp Gains:

References

AuX

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prowler573 View Post

AuX ~
    Yes, you can power those speakers off of your HU and likely they'll sound somewhat better than the OEM speakers that they replaced.
    To get the real performance that they are capable of, however, you're going to want to go with an external amplifier rather than the smallish one in your headunit as the 15-20 watts per channel of clean power your headunit is capable of simply isn't up to the task of extracting the full potential from your aftermarket speakers.
    I think in the specs for the model I brought it's 22 watts on this model.

I can't really afford to be spending more and buy a amp right now, how much work and would it be very easy to add a decent amp latter on? and what would I need for what I have now?

AuX

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ahh shoot! This morning, reading > me apparently.

Sorry AUX, I thought you were about to buy the speakers you listed in the first post.

I'd follow the advice of Prowler, even a smallish amp (say, 4x50w rms) can make a world of difference.
    It's ok

So I will keep an eye out for a amp and if I can spend the $ I will buy one but what do I need to look for in labeling etc. I'm not sure what I would need to buy :\ so look for a 4x50w rms one? and can I go ahead and install it now and add the amp easily latter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not sure if Profile amps are available for a very reasonable price where you are, but they are decent budget amp to do near their rated RMS power.

2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

Setting Amp Gains:

References

AuX

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not sure if Profile amps are available for a very reasonable price where you are, but they are decent budget amp to do near their rated RMS power.
    Australia don't think I have seen them, I know I saw one of these in a catalog for about the same price http://www.oo.com.au/SONY_Xplod_2_Ch..._P1911C447.cfm
    should have a few catalogs come tomorrow.

Just one question I would really like to know is it easy to add one latter? and just make do with how they are off the head unit for now.

Thanks everyone for the help so far I do appreciate it

EDIT: This is the best list online I can find http://www.ryda.com.au/Car-Amplifiers-Store-s/9.htm anything there I should be able to get locally pick the lowest price amp that is decent and one or 2 up that would allow future expansion and I will have to have a serious think about it.

konechiwa is offline Jeepers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

don't buy that amp.

It's not that hard to add one on later. They'll work off the head-unit until you can afford an amp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AuX View Post
    I think in the specs for the model I brought it's 22 watts on this model.
    22 watts per channel of RMS output is a pretty common rating for the internal amp contained within a headunit. Many different decks (including the one I run) have a like wattage rating. But the percentage of distortion contained in the output signal at that level of wattage is generally pretty high and it's a safe bet to assume that your deck is only outputting 15-20 watts of clean power per channel. This is a generalization which, like all others, has its exceptions but it's safe enough to follow as a rule of thumb.

I can't really afford to be spending more and buy a amp right now, how much work and would it be very easy to add a decent amp latter on? and what would I need for what I have now?
    You certainly are in no way the first and I'll guarantee not the last person wanting some 'better than factory' tunes in their ride but are somewhat hamstrung by a really tight budget. Nothing to be ashamed of there, for sure!
    Would it be easy to add an amp later? That depends on your definition of easy, really. An external amplifier requires power cable, ground connection cable, a lead that comes off the back of your headunit that tells it to turn on and off (typically referred to as the remote turn-on lead) and then speaker wire which will go from the amp to each speaker that it is amplifying ~ 4 speakers total in your case.
    We don't know what you drive so there's no way to guess how hard it would be to run all the necessary wiring in your specific example.
    Also - because of the odd (to us) model number for your Pioneer CD player I have to assume that you aren't in the states? With that in mind it is entirely possible that you drive a vehicle that isn't familiar to us at all so we'd really be guessing if we tried to tell you how easy or hard installing an amp in there might be!

Generally, though, it isn't actually difficult, per se, simply time-consuming.

You can goto www.crutchfield.com and type in Learning Center in the search bar - and then have a look around for the various installation videos they have posted there. They make for a pretty decent "how to" for beginners.

Edit: I just saw that you're in Oz.
    Which state?
    My wife lives in SA (and so will I once all the immigration paperwork gets sorted which is a complete pain in the *** and incredibly time-consuming in its own right )

AuX

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by konechiwa View Post
    don't buy that amp.

It's not that hard to add one on later. They'll work off the head-unit until you can afford an amp.
    I had no plans to buy that one just with the catalogs I have now (I chucked out a lot) think that's the only amp listed in them, I should have a few catalogs come in tomorrow and I will see what they have.

I think though at this stage I will have to leave it and just use the head unit and latter add a decent amp and go from there.

Never know though I might get lucky and pick up a decent amp on sale or something, can anyone make recommendations on models etc. to keep an eye out for that aren't expensive but not garbage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's kind of tough to make recommendations for a specific amp for you as many things that are commonplace here may or may not be available to you there in Australia.

For example - I'm a huge fan of Diamond Audio gear but as far as I know it isn't available to you lot over there unless you buy it from a source here and have it shipped overseas to you...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast