Closed Thread

Reload Thread: CDT Help

hannibal05 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

CDT Help

I purchased a set of CDT HD-62's from a member here on the forum. I have them hooked up to a Memphis Belle bridging the 1-2 / 3-4. According to my DMM I'm putting right at 24.5 volts which should equate to 175 watts of power into each door. I've got them crossed at 100hz.

Ok the issue I'm having is the tweets keep going into protect mode when I try to turn it up. My deck is capable of turning up to 50 and with everything running I never go over 35. As soon as I hit 29-30 there goes the tweets. The slope/switch on the crossover is at 0 with a +3 to -3 option. I've even tried

After you turn down the volume they come back on. If I turn the power of the amp down to where they don't shut off my POS stock speakers running off the deck are almost as loud as the CDT's. With everything turned up with the 175 watts going to them the mids sound really good and that is what gets me.

I've tried everything from running them at HP to start off with, switched them to full, to adjusting the amp with a max of 30 on the volume, to trying everything on my deck. Needless to say I've tried just about everything I can think of. I've ran out of ideas so I'm begging for someone to help out this semi-noobie get his chit straight. Thanks in advance!!

djdilliodon is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: CDT Help

The problem is the passive xover included with the set. Chances are your set is an old model using the 456 xovers which are truely terrible The tweeter protection on those xovers is very sensitive especially when using over 100x2rms. This would be a good time to buy an active xover and make use of that 4 ch amp you have

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mine are the SatNet 480's...................

jrouter76 is offline jrouter76

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

tHAT happen to me and Djdilliodon help me out ,he sold me the 560sat passive x-overs, problem solved.

Active Front Tweeters:Seas Neo Alumn.

Midbass:ID OEMs
    Mids & Highs amp PPI DCX1000.4
    Subs 2-12 Si Mags 2nd gen.
    Box ported tuned to 34hz 2.17 cu.ft dual chambers
    Sub amp Kicker KX2500.1

H/U:Alpine 9815
    Doors and Trunk are deaden by SS
    PPI MAN

REFS:2lows10, XylerB, Scoobasteve, Ksin291,TheLow, Amokie , MemphisSoul4u , TheHardKnoxLife , RydHy3845 ,GORDOS420 , Mihklo,Jameseypoo , integra88

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djdilliodon View Post
    The problem is the passive xover included with the set. Chances are your set is an old model using the 456 xovers which are truely terrible The tweeter protection on those xovers is very sensitive especially when using over 100x2rms. This would be a good time to buy an active xover and make use of that 4 ch amp you have
    So first off what would you recommend???

And secondly I'm guessing that you would be talking about the 4 channel meaning 1-2 running the mids and 3-4 running the tweets?? So I would only be putting ruffly 75 wrms into each piece?? How would that stack up to what I have now vs. getting or finding another passive crossover network that might work?? Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to get this right without having to buy multiple things and waisting my money on junk.

djdilliodon is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hannibal05 View Post
    So first off what would you recommend???

And secondly I'm guessing that you would be talking about the 4 channel meaning 1-2 running the mids and 3-4 running the tweets?? So I would only be putting ruffly 75 wrms into each piece?? How would that stack up to what I have now vs. getting or finding another passive crossover network that might work?? Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to get this right without having to buy multiple things and waisting my money on junk.
    Each driver would get 75w rms each but on the tweeters your gonna want a much lower gain setting. Run the mids on channels 3-4 and tweets on 1-2. The only thing you will need is an active xover which a decent unit (nothing crazy here) would cost just 60 bux versus a pair of passives at 100-120. You will also need to change the wiring around a little bit going from the amps directly to the speakers. The only problem with the active setup is you will need to take the time to tune it but in the end it is allll worth it Also the 480 xovers will also cut the tweets off as well. While they are much better than the 456 xovers these xovers are just not designed for high power. In order to use power over the 100+ range you would need a 560, 200z, mx1000 ect.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Each driver would get 75w rms each but on the tweeters your gonna want a much lower gain setting. Run the mids on channels 3-4 and tweets on 1-2. The only thing you will need is an active xover which a decent unit (nothing crazy here) would cost just 60 bux versus a pair of passives at 100-120. You will also need to change the wiring around a little bit going from the amps directly to the speakers. The only problem with the active setup is you will need to take the time to tune it but in the end it is allll worth it Also the 480 xovers will also cut the tweets off as well. While they are much better than the 456 xovers these xovers are just not designed for high power. In order to use power over the 100+ range you would need a 560, 200z, mx1000 ect.
    Well...... Everything about going to an active would work well it seems if it were only for one thing. In my doors there is this crazy plug for supplying the power to my windows / locks / mirrors etc. I was able to SQUEEZE one 12awg wire through there. And that was with separating the wire and drilling a hole through the plug and forcing one side of the wire next to each plug. I had to take off the door to even achieve this. So I doubt it very highly that I could get any more wire into my doors without drilling a new hole both in the door and the cab. So.............

Macklessdaddy is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i have the 480 with 150 rms. going to them and have never had a problem

Zxcvtypo is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey man, sorry to hear about this I was sending them ~175(probably more) from my x200.2 with those crossovers and never had any issues whatsoever, aside from the problem's your having, how do you like them?

Out of car audio for now..

mike11202 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have the same exact set with 200rms each side and they run perfect. How do your mids sound? Mine are very weak.

Refs: Premier Audio, uglydimple12, IonSQL x 2, bjfish x 2, Fi Car Audio, jorginho, bigpetey, eric12421, Ali1, scissors, inutero1994, blackbonnie, gsuchyta, Skip01, Serpent710, morgans432, DiamondFanatic, DUMPED, Slam, JBLCAMRY, IDSkoT

--------------------------------
    2007 Honda Civic Coupe
    Pioneer Premier 780-MP
    Optima Yellow Top D34
    Image Dynamics CSX64
    JL Audio 300/2v2
    JBL P1220

Intercooler is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a set of 200Z X-overs I will sell cheap.

2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe
    HU- Eclipse CD-5000
    F&R Amp- MB Quart Qaa4250 1000 Watt 4-Channel
    F- CDT HD52 5.25" With 1" Silk Tweets and M-6 6.5" Mids In The Doors(Three Way)
    R- CDT M-6's
    Sub Amp- Hifonics BXi2006D Brutus 2000 Watt D Mono
    Subs- (2) FI-Q 12" in a 1.26 Cu^Ft./Per Side Unported Box
    Battery- Kinetic 1400
    House- Samsung 4665F/Def Tech Mythos 8's/Dayton 15" Sub Kit/Onkyo 605/Harmony 890
    Refs: B-06stxf150, S-tmcilroy, B-lastcall

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

See that's what gets me I'm putting right at 175wrms into them. I've tried EVERYTHING that I could think of in all the different combinations. I've even tried running them in full range and the tweets still turn off. I know my signal is cleen but it just does not like something in the set-up at all. But Hopefully I'll have my new satnet-560's from UPS today. So we'll see how everything goes after I switch them out.

Zxcvtypo is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mike11202 View Post
    I have the same exact set with 200rms each side and they run perfect. How do your mids sound? Mine are very weak.
    These mids are very install dependent.

And to Hannibal -- sorry to hear about this

Out of car audio for now..

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well to update:

I got a set of satnet-560's that djdilliodon was able to help me out with. I'm VERY pleased with the turn out. The tweets seem very crisp now and do not cut out at all!! Again I'm very happy!! Thanks to all that was envolved!!!

Closed Thread