Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Which 6.5" replacement driver should I get?

Fastr is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Which 6.5" replacement driver should I get?

Hey guys, I have a question for you speakers experts.
    I recently installed all of my stereo equip. in my 06 Lincoln LS.
    For the fronts, I have 6.5" Alpine Type Rs. I found that one of the 6.5" drivers got banged up in the past couple years and doesnt work. Soo.. I wanted to just replace the midbass drivers and use my Alpine crossovers and tweeters ( I really like these soft dome silk tweeters).

Which 6.5 driver would be best to drop in?
    (I found a cheap no name 6.5" speaker at the surplus store here in MN for $12. It looks cheap, it actually has a waay better midrange and vocal sound than do the Alpines, lol. The lower bass is not nearly as good, but I have the fronts crossed over at 100hz anyways). So I am thinking one of the speakers from partsexpress.. dayton?, Dynavox 8ohm?

My mtx amp for the front runs 90w x 2 rms @ 14 volts with 4ohm speakers. (listed on the birthsheet)

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Fastr; 06-04-2007 at 01:06 PM.

exige is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Which 6.5" replacement driver should I get?

You'll need to stick with 4 ohms speakers. Check out Zaph's page here: http://zaphaudio.com/6.5test/

Also look over on madisound.com. That and PE are your best choices for stores.

Fastr is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for that list! That is an interesting site..
    The 7" Dayton RS speakers look great for the price.. I dont know much about speaker specs but have been reading that a higher Qts is generally better for IB installation such as a car door.

With a Qts of .45 does anyone think these will be a good choice?? (or do you currently have some installed?)
    Although they are not perfectly sealed up I do have alot of dynamat extreme in the doors. (I do not plan on trying to completely sealing them up, although I may try building an enclosure to fit into the door if necessary..)

exige is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

even with a qts of .45...you should still be okay with your doors deadened the way you say they are. my drivers are right around the mid .4's also and they're doin fine in well deadened doors.

Fastr is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the help! I think I will give those a try. Those Dynavox look interesting too, and have a Qts close to .6, but they are alot more money to be experimenting with..

Heres a few pics of my install.. I can put more deadner in the door if need be (the factory cover is this vinyl/rubber type piece that is sealed around the whole door) Im pretty impressed on the build quality of Lincoln sor far. The car already has some factory dynamat type material in various spots, and the entire interior has .75" noise absorbing foam too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which 6.5" replacement driver should I get?-d1.jpg   Which 6.5" replacement driver should I get?-k-1.jpg   Which 6.5" replacement driver should I get?-picture_0149.jpg   Which 6.5" replacement driver should I get?-s1.jpg   Which 6.5" replacement driver should I get?-s4.jpg  

Closed Thread

User Tag List