Closed Thread

Reload Thread: What do you guys think about this budget DIY comp set?

95bat is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do you guys think about this budget DIY comp set?

Well I decided to change things around in my car a little bit. Sorry for the long post If you decide to read it all, I appreciate it heh.

Current setup:
    Amp: JL 300/4
    Front: JL 6.5" coax
    Rear: Rainbow 165 Kicks
    Subs: two 12" db-500s in 3.4cf ported @ 32 hz.

I want to take the 165s out of the back and put them up front. I need a tweeter to go along with them and I was thinking about this one from Seas. I am going to make some custom baffles out of MDF to mount the 165s to my door and provide a surface for the tweeters to mount as well. Here's a picture I drew up:

I will try my best to work with the MDF to get the kicks pointing at the seats. The tweeters I should be able to angle no problem to get them on axis.

I am going to move the JLs to the rear.

This was my plan for wiring these up with the 300/4... I was going to power the JLs off of one channel, the 165s off another channel, and use the crossover on my deck (Pioneer 7800MP) for those. The 165s need an 80hz/12db highpass crossover and the JLs can share that crossover point with them. I was then going to power the Seas tweets with the other 2 channels on the the amp. I will set that crossover point at whatever you guys tell me to I was thinking somewhere around 3k or 3.5k to start with, then tuning it in until it sounds good. The tweeters say they take 90wrms at 2.5k/12db so I should be fine giving each 75 watts.

I will be a little concerned that giving the tweets that much power will take my system way out of balance, but I can always adjust gains and whatnot. This is just what I thought a good starting point would be. The only reason why the tweeters are on their own channel with the most power is because that is the only way I can setup the crossovers with the equipment I have.

So, my questions...
    Are those tweeters a good selection? Seas has the soft dome version as well, but I've been wanting to try some metal domes out. If the metal domes ****, though, then I'll go with the soft domes. Also, the JLs have silk tweeters, so I'm not sure if the metal dome will blend will with the silk. I'm thinking no. I just found the 26NA tweeter people talk about too.
    Are there better tweeters in that same price range? I'm not looking to spend a lot right now, which is why I'm using the crossovers on the amp and using cheaper tweeters

What would be a good crossover point to start with for the tweeters?

And lastly, overall, does this sound like a decent plan or do I need to go research some more?

Thanks for reading!

DejaWiz is offline Speaker Bee-otch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: What do you guys think about this budget DIY comp set?

I would definitely not run a midstage pair off 1 chanel each. You're imaging is going to go right down the crapper.

Have you considered getting a good set of mids to go along with those tweeters and only run a pair of mids + a pair of tweeters up front and the subs in back?

What kind of vehicle do you have all this in?

2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

Setting Amp Gains:
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/Den_of_Dragons/topic/508709/1/

References
    Bought from: jacobcopeland87, 95bat, alxmlr789, na_rsx

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of course I've considered getting mids, but I'm trying to do this as cheap as I can using what I have.

I do not like having only front speakers. I tried it and did not like it at all.

This is in my 95 Firebird.

envengineer is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wait, you want to run your mids and rear speakers off of just two channels? So front would be hooked up to, say, the left channel and rear would be on the right? If that is your plan, don't do it.

Lose the rear fill and give each speaker a channel like you should. It will sound better.

If you really want to have rear fill then you need another amp or passive crossovers for the front components.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/245581-envengineer-%3D-great-seller.html
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/322193-envengineer-amazing-seller.html
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/324244-envengineer.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah. My amp is about to go in for repairs soon (it is technically at 225/3 right now lol). The coaxs up front are being powering off a single channel right now and get plenty loud for me. The rears have their own channels right now, but the gains are turned down quite a bit. I figured those would also have enough power with just one channel and the gains up a tad higher.

So other than my wiring ideas... what about those tweeters?

theCybe is offline sector three

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Other way around, man;

Front Components (with passive crossovers) on channels 1 and 2
    Rear fill on channel 3, passed for low "mid" bass.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would do it the other way with an active, but as I said before, trying to do this as cheap as possible with what I have available to me.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anybody have thoughts about tweeter selection?

///M5 is offline Big Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 95bat View Post
    Of course I've considered getting mids, but I'm trying to do this as cheap as I can using what I have.

I do not like having only front speakers. I tried it and did not like it at all.

This is in my 95 Firebird.
    Then you need to spend more time installing your front stage. You didn't try it right.

Those Seas tweets are worth way more than their asking price, to get that quality out of a pre-packaged set of components you'd have to spend > $300 on the set.

Closed Thread