Closed Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Reload Thread: Help Me Find A Quality 3.5" Driver

  1. #1
    resq911's Avatar
    resq911 is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Help Me Find A Quality 3.5" Driver

    I am looking for a pair of 3.5" mid drivers for the dash. I have seen mostly co-ax but not much else. Could someone recommend a high quality 3.5"?
    I have an old car that has 2) 3.5" and 1....yes 1.....4x10" center speaker opening. I gave up on finding a decent dual coil 4x10 and have decided to mount a pair of mid drivers in the opening. I plan to mount 2 Infinity Kappa 3.5" for the outside dash speakers. There are 2 Kappa 6x9" in the rear deck.
    Any suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks,
    ResQ911







  2. #2
    60ndown's Avatar
    60ndown is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    3,590
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Help Me Find A Quality 3.5" Driver




    Quote Originally Posted by NeedDirections View Post
    Yeah this thing is mint. you pay $300+ship and wait 2-3 wks from FI.
    Quote Originally Posted by andytb View Post
    shipping is free
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedDirections View Post
    Alright then,

    Price is 250 Shipped

  3. #3
    Gary S's Avatar
    Gary S is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ex JL Audio Rep
    Posts
    1,070
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Help Me Find A Quality 3.5" Driver

    With 3.5", there is little sound quality... low efficiency, and no midbass. Usually people put 6.5 components in the kick panels or doors.



    For Sale


    Kicker C15C-4 Competition 15" 4-ohm subwoofer, new in box, old stock

    Soundstream Reference 405 5-channel amplifier

    (2) Parts Express DVC12 12 inch subwoofers

    Send a private message to me for more details on these products.

  4. #4
    RAM_Designs's Avatar
    RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master



    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rockwall, TX
    Age
    28
    Posts
    21,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

    Re: Help Me Find A Quality 3.5" Driver

    tang band has a lot of 3" drivers at www.partsexpress.com



    1,400+ designs since March 2011...
    I have my PM's turned off, please email at [email protected]

  5. #5
    RAM_Designs's Avatar
    RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master



    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rockwall, TX
    Age
    28
    Posts
    21,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

    Re: Help Me Find A Quality 3.5" Driver

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
    With 3.5", there is little sound quality... low efficiency
    What does SQ and low efficiency have to do with a 3.5" driver? Do tweeters have little SQ and low efficiency too because they're smaller? I don't see what you're trying to get at.



    1,400+ designs since March 2011...
    I have my PM's turned off, please email at [email protected]

  6. #6
    Gary S's Avatar
    Gary S is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ex JL Audio Rep
    Posts
    1,070
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Help Me Find A Quality 3.5" Driver

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanM923 View Post
    What does SQ and low efficiency have to do with a 3.5" driver? Do tweeters have little SQ and low efficiency too because they're smaller? I don't see what you're trying to get at.
    - Tweeters have a crossover and usually complement a 6.5" driver and only play the extreme high frequencies above 3,500 HZ (a better place for a 3 inch would be in a three-way system, where the 3 inch mid is normally crossed over at 700 hz and up). A three-inch run full range is not going to have the extension and efficiency, power handling, or all-around comparable sound to the typical 6.5" component speakers 90% of serious people upgrade their audio systems with... not even close... besides, there are very few component 3.5" systems available anyway, so the choices are slim, right out of the gate. The bottom line is that a component system with a 6.5" driver is going to sound worlds apart from a 3.5 in the dash. And if the dash speaker points up at the windshield, that's another reason to go to the doors or kicks, to minimize near-field reflections which would only make things worse.

    Just because a car comes with speaker holes/locations does not mean the car manufacturer is an audio expert. Do you smell what I'm cooking?!



    For Sale


    Kicker C15C-4 Competition 15" 4-ohm subwoofer, new in box, old stock

    Soundstream Reference 405 5-channel amplifier

    (2) Parts Express DVC12 12 inch subwoofers

    Send a private message to me for more details on these products.

  7. #7
    RAM_Designs's Avatar
    RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master



    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rockwall, TX
    Age
    28
    Posts
    21,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

    Re: Help Me Find A Quality 3.5" Driver

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
    - Tweeters have a crossover and usually complement a 6.5" driver and only play the extreme high frequencies above 3,500 HZ (a better place for a 3 inch would be in a three-way system, where the 3 inch mid is normally crossed over at 700 hz and up). A three-inch run full range is not going to have the extension and efficiency, power handling, or all-around comparable sound to the typical 6.5" component speakers 90% of serious people upgrade their audio systems with... not even close... besides, there are very few component 3.5" systems available anyway, so the choices are slim, right out of the gate. The bottom line is that a component system with a 6.5" driver is going to sound worlds apart from a 3.5 in the dash. And if the dash speaker points up at the windshield, that's another reason to go to the doors or kicks, to minimize near-field reflections which would only make things worse.

    Just because a car comes with speaker holes/locations does not mean the car manufacturer is an audio expert. Do you smell what I'm cooking?!
    I know exactly what you're saying; I just thought the statement "there won't be much SQ with a 3.5 inch speaker" was kind of broad. For the same price of a 6.5" good comp set (~$200), I can put 16 of these on each side and still have $40 left over...granted the install would be a hell of a lot tougher to get all the kinks worked out, it sure would be a lot more fun at the same time



    1,400+ designs since March 2011...
    I have my PM's turned off, please email at [email protected]

  8. #8
    DBfan187's Avatar
    DBfan187 is offline Supa's mom was here!



    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Poolside with Supa's mom.
    Posts
    46,452
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Help Me Find A Quality 3.5" Driver

    Vern Troyer? I don't know if his driving record is clean though.




  9. #9
    thehardknoxlife's Avatar
    thehardknoxlife is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,789
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Help Me Find A Quality 3.5" Driver

    I remember reading about the PG RSD 3.5" with the whizzer cone as being a good buy. Supposedly had a wide flat response. I can't remember the numbers. The reason I remember is because I planned to liven up the mid-range in the RSD 6.5 set and make it a 3 way.




  10. #10
    Fixxer's Avatar
    Fixxer is offline Sundown Audio



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Help Me Find A Quality 3.5" Driver

    There's the new HD-3 from CDT if a 3" will work.

    http://www.cdtaudio.com/new_breed_drivers.htm



    Headunit: Pioneer DEX-P99RS
    Processors: AudioControl DQXS/DDC+Matrix
    Front Stage: CDT ES-06+, ES-04, DRT-26
    Component Amps: 2 Sundown SAX-100.4
    Subs: 2x Digital Designs 9510F
    Sub Amp: Sundown SAZ-3500D
    Batteries: 2 Kinetik HC-2400
    Wiring: Knukonceptz + Kicker

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum