Closed Thread

Reload Thread: CDT Audio + More

CrEaTrE is offline Got Bass?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

CDT Audio + More

I didn't really know where I should post this but I figured this was as good of place as any. I currently have a CDT Audio CL-S60a component set running off the headunit power. I've just recently converted from heavy bass to wanting a lighter car (150+ pounds for sub and box not cutting it) as well as very sharp and clean hi's and mid's. Right now the sound is very clean and much much better than my awful stock sound, however I want to perfect what I can achieve from these comps. Here are two things I would like to add to my system: 1) 2-channel amp. 2) Electronic Active Crossover system.

1) I am thinking about going with the Kenwood KAC-7202 2 Channel Amp which puts out 150w X 2 @ 4 ohms. These comps can handle 110w @ 4 ohms and I figure if I'm careful and the true values of the amp it should be just about right for components. Feel free to shout out a different amp in that >$150 price range.

2) I really don't have a true grasp on this subject yet. I'm looking to fine tune the notes that these speakers can produce as well as the tweets. I am still very confused on the subject but I have a feeling I would love going this route. If I was to add a 3-way electronic crossover for example, would I still have the passive cross over before hand? Also, I need some suggestions for a great electronic crossover for >$150.

Also I'm considering getting the Kenwood KSC-SW1 for the lows. Anyone have opinions on that? I really would like just a little bit lower bass notes to fill in the mids and the hi's however I really do not want to add the weight of a box and full sized sub. If I got this it would go underneath the driver seat. I am not looking for what I had before (140db+) but just a tiny bit of clean bass to add to the system.

Any other suggestions for anything mentioned here would be awesome too. Thanks for reading and hopefully you'll have some ideas to meet my audio needs.

Audio, Security & Visual Electronics Moderator on www.srtforums.com

Old Setup *SOLD*:
    - Pioneer 2900-MP HU
    - Knukonceptz 4 Gauge Amp Kit
    - 1 12" TC-3000
    - 2.35cf box at 33hz
    - Hifonics bxi1606D
    - CDT Audio CL-S60A Component Set
    - Kicker 650.4 Amplifier

Reference(s): Jeepintn, Cloud_171, eg_bhoy, tapout, AllStarE4

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: CDT Audio + More

You don't need an outboard crossover for what you are trying to do. The amps have all the filters you will need. An amp is going to amke a world of difference on the sound of those speakers.

As far as getting some bass, you don't have to go crazy but I wouldn't go the route of the tiny little bass kit either. 20-30 lbs is about all a small ported 8" sub would weigh. Won't take up much room either. From there get a 4 channel rather than 2 channel amp and run the component set off the front channels and bridge the rears for the sub.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Qbenjamin is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Icon10 Re: CDT Audio + More

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
    You don't need an outboard crossover for what you are trying to do. The amps have all the filters you will need. An amp is going to amke a world of difference on the sound of those speakers.

As far as getting some bass, you don't have to go crazy but I wouldn't go the route of the tiny little bass kit either. 20-30 lbs is about all a small ported 8" sub would weigh. Won't take up much room either. From there get a 4 channel rather than 2 channel amp and run the component set off the front channels and bridge the rears for the sub.
    X2, also with your budget, look for something else besides Kenwood, their newer stuff is just not what it used to be quality wise.

Sold to Ref's: IonSQL; envengineer; BAD_MAYHEM; oxsign; dvrmstrng; corto; wong05tsx; mrdurden; dirtyg; Cheesemind; gladiator_jai; bumpincrv; nycking23; slikvik; Mr.Ronin_2U
    Traded with Ref's:: Spike_e; jnoel; Sundownz

Stock H/U; AudioControl Lc6i; Alpine PDX-V9; Focal Components & Coaxials; DD 2510; Ported Enclosure; Second Skin Damplifier Pro

What sounds good to you, may sound like crap to me...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qbenjamin View Post
    X2, also with your budget, look for something else besides Kenwood, their newer stuff is just not what it used to be quality wise.
    Any suggestions for a 2-channel amp? Not sure if Im going to add the bass yet or not. Would love to but not sure if I want to spend the money right now for a tad bit more lows. I figure the amp to the speakers will help at least some. Also any suggestions for a 4-channel amp in case I do go that route?

Old Setup *SOLD*:
    - Pioneer 2900-MP HU
    - 1 12" TC-3000
    - 2.35cf box at 33hz
    - Hifonics bxi1606D
    - Kicker 650.4 Amplifier

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok scratch that previous idea. New plan:

1) Rear Comp. Set: CDT-S50A (5.25", $100, finishes the CDT audio, will give more full sound and get rid of the rears that make me cringe when im in the car.

2) 4-Channel Amp: (might choose another place to buy for price but just researching prices here

Eclipse XA4000 - $375.99 (Leaning towards this one)
    http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4617

Power Acoustik LT960/4 - $129.99 (Is this cheap crap??)
    http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...Product_ID=482

US Amps XT-1600.4 - $349.99 (Heard very good things about US Amps)
    http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=5310

Which do you guys think for the amp? And also you think those rear stage comp. will finish off the sound in the rear of the car and fit nicely with the S60A 6.5" in the front? Thanks in advance!

Old Setup *SOLD*:
    - Pioneer 2900-MP HU
    - 1 12" TC-3000
    - 2.35cf box at 33hz
    - Hifonics bxi1606D
    - Kicker 650.4 Amplifier

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The best way to keep your current rear speakers from making you cringe is to get rid of them and not replace them with anything. Spend the money instead on a small sub and go with a 4 channel amp. Once you amplifiy the CDTs up front you are going to need to limit their low end to keep them sounding decent on the midrange and not damage them. They are going to give you next to no bass. You will need some kind of sub for that.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Closed Thread