Closed Thread

Reload Thread: looking to upgrade from BA z6's

rtillaree is offline F***, Strong

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

looking to upgrade from BA z6's

looking for an upgrade from the z6's in the front stage, need something a little louder and more dynamic...

needs to sound good off 130ish @ 4ohms or 160 @ 2ohms...

CA.COM REFERENCES:
    Bought From:
    flakko, krouchchocolate, djdilliodon, Mountaineer Man, delvryboy, j3bus2k3, THXdts, htownplaya456, rawdogj, xplorerdonon22s, danteBirosel, bgdre12, GateWay, ultimate157, Drich79, IonSQL, kasimo420 (x2)

Sold To:
    Wkbdkid, the_franchise, euro2ned, bryce-man, mike dressure, dbman150, jailhouseracer8, DaBeholder, gammey4, soundblast1, shiipseki, mr Tibbs, the727kid, woc47, bchandler, branden, amedeuce, MustangGT25YRS, fordtough1, 04oilburner, Hellbound Train, Dimon74

Traded With:
    irnotfob, wizkid, alxmlr789, Flipx99, Twistid

Fast1one is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: looking to upgrade from BA z6's

Don't those need a lot of power? 130 (more like 145 ish) doesnt seem like enough...

References: Lax916, AcidicDreams , Altima98 , mr Tibbs, Majette, giantgloworm, mattmcss, riogigalo, mysilver02alty, Woc47, Hintzyboy, oglejust, APitBullT, foreman, jhubbell, tmcilroy, pioneerpimp, Dre_ATL

Plus a ton more I never added, lol. If you are not on the list and you had a pleasant transaction with me, PM me!!!

rtillaree is offline F***, Strong

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i ran them off a few amps, a pg 200.4, ppi 4800.2 and an older jbl 2 channel which was like 180 per...all seemed to be about the same really...sounded best on the PG, but just kind of sounded flat in some spots and just loud for no reason, loud to be loud without all around dynamics...i fooled with them so much, but with little change...just wanted to try something else and see if its me or the speakers...

CA.COM REFERENCES:
    Bought From:
    flakko, krouchchocolate, djdilliodon, Mountaineer Man, delvryboy, j3bus2k3, THXdts, htownplaya456, rawdogj, xplorerdonon22s, danteBirosel, bgdre12, GateWay, ultimate157, Drich79, IonSQL, kasimo420 (x2)

Sold To:
    Wkbdkid, the_franchise, euro2ned, bryce-man, mike dressure, dbman150, jailhouseracer8, DaBeholder, gammey4, soundblast1, shiipseki, mr Tibbs, the727kid, woc47, bchandler, branden, amedeuce, MustangGT25YRS, fordtough1, 04oilburner, Hellbound Train, Dimon74

Traded With:
    irnotfob, wizkid, alxmlr789, Flipx99, Twistid

PremierAudio is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can you be a little more specific as to what you are looking for? Dynamic can be a pretty broad description...and those Z6s are great speakers, so a little more will descrption can go a long ways!

-Aaron

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Honestly I would suggest investigating ways to improve areas of your install and tuning before changing speakers. Many times people blame the speakers for problems with the install/tuning. That's not to say "you ****"...but if you give us a little more details about the install (location, aiming, sound deadening/absorption, etc) and tuning (xover, EQ, etc) we may be able to suggest ways for you to get what you are wanting out of your current speakers.

The Z6 while not being the best ever made are pretty darn good speakers and setup correctly should hang pretty well with most other mid-fi and up sets. And with an inadequate install or tuning...upgrading speakers isn't going to fix the actual problem and you will still be suffering from the same problem....inadequate install. Which makes the extra $$ spent on new speakers equivalent to pouring water into a bucket with a hole in the bottom......

Gary S is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Squeak makes a good point... installation quality, tunning, and speaker placement is number one.

For the most part, more amplifier power is what makes a system louder and more dynamic... if the speakers can take it.

Other things you could try would be a surround sound system.

- or more power + speakers/ a speaker system that will handle more power. Three-way systems can handle up to twice the power without compression, generally. (If the speaker can't handle the power and suffers power compression, it gets less efficient the more you turn up the volume... in that case, you need speakers that can handle more power)

If you have to stay with a two-way component set, Diamond D9 might be an option... but you may need to put a more powerful comp amp on them than you have now to get any worthwhile difference.

For Sale

Kicker C15C-4 Competition 15" 4-ohm subwoofer, new in box, old stock

Soundstream Reference 405 5-channel amplifier

(2) Parts Express DVC12 12 inch subwoofers

Send a private message to me for more details on these products.

///M5 is offline Big Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
    Squeak makes a good point... installation quality, tunning, and speaker placement is number one.

For the most part, more amplifier power is what makes a system louder and more dynamic... if the speakers can take it.

Other things you could try would be a surround sound system.

- or more power + speakers/ a speaker system that will handle more power. Three-way systems can handle up to twice the power without compression, generally. (If the speaker can't handle the power and suffers power compression, it gets less efficient the more you turn up the volume... in that case, you need speakers that can handle more power)

If you have to stay with a two-way component set, Diamond D9 might be an option... but you may need to put a more powerful comp amp on them than you have now to get any worthwhile difference.
    *pukes

Really Squeak is right. If you haven't done a lot of deadening in your doors, sealed up the holes, mounted the driver on a thick mdf baffle you are not doing that nice set of speakers justice.

Echo42987 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My last set of components was teh BA Z6's and I hope over to the Focal. The Focal's most definetly don't get as loud but seems like they have a "brouder" range of sound.

My old BA Z6's were amazing IMO. I loved how loud they got and they filled my entire SUV with sound and I was only running those comps.

-Nick-

Closed Thread