Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Active sloping

bitlord is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Active sloping

Hey im going to be running an active set up on these and i dont really know anything about sloping and what not. Can anyone tell me what to run for the slopes of my active comps (QSD 216) and subs?

Thanks

Fast1one is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Active sloping

From what I have seen, usually you put steep slopes for the sub. Helps to create "invisible" bass that you can't detect, so crossover fairly low, no higher than 65-70 IMO. Also steep slopes for the lower high pass of the mids, 18db or higher. For the upper mid lowpass use a less steep slope to blend to the tweeter 12b or so, then for the tweet high pass use a steep one for protection...

Hope this helps...

One more thing, for the mid high pass it all depends on if your doors are deadened and how low you cross them over. You dont need a steep slope if your cross at 80hz or higher, but I would advice using a steep on if you cross lower, like at 60...

References: Lax916, AcidicDreams , Altima98 , mr Tibbs, Majette, giantgloworm, mattmcss, riogigalo, mysilver02alty, Woc47, Hintzyboy, oglejust, APitBullT, foreman, jhubbell, tmcilroy, pioneerpimp, Dre_ATL

Plus a ton more I never added, lol. If you are not on the list and you had a pleasant transaction with me, PM me!!!

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fast1one View Post
    Helps to create "invisible" bass that you can't detect.
    That's funny right there.

The answer is use whatever slope you need to protect the drivers at the freqs in use and still have it sound good. If you're pushing the low freq limit of a driver with the HPF, use a steeper slope. Typically you'll use a steep slope on the sub to keep the higherfreqs from getting to it and dragging the image to the rear.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Fast1one is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
    That's funny right there.

The answer is use whatever slope you need to protect the drivers at the freqs in use and still have it sound good. If you're pushing the low freq limit of a driver with the HPF, use a steeper slope. Typically you'll use a steep slope on the sub to keep the higherfreqs from getting to it and dragging the image to the rear.
    Honestly not my terms, I can remember who said it....seemed fitting though

O and BTW by detect, i meant the location Just realized my description was kind of vague...

References: Lax916, AcidicDreams , Altima98 , mr Tibbs, Majette, giantgloworm, mattmcss, riogigalo, mysilver02alty, Woc47, Hintzyboy, oglejust, APitBullT, foreman, jhubbell, tmcilroy, pioneerpimp, Dre_ATL

Plus a ton more I never added, lol. If you are not on the list and you had a pleasant transaction with me, PM me!!!

99galant is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

actually you'll need to really sit down and listen to how the drivers perform in their locations. I assume its a 2way setup so its fairly easy to do it. You will probably spend the most time tweeking your midrange driver out. For tweeters i would try crossing over at about 3.15khz with a 12db slope and see how that sounds. Some may need a higher crossover point just depends on the tweeter.

As for the midrange I would try on the high end something below the tweeter crossover point, like 2.5khz at a 12db slope. on the low end, honestly I would try at 100hz and go down from there, just don't go to low because unless you have made pods or your doors can handle it, going to low may cause distortion and/or make the door really flex. Unless you have a very well sealed door i would not go below 80hz.

Also remember when changing the slopes, this could change how the driver performs, so its best to start at a good general setting and go from there tuning it by ear or rta.

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Depending on the mid/tweet combo lower than 3k might be better, too. Everything is based on the individual drivers and the install location.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Closed Thread