Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Question

ds80mx is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question

I added a sub to my stock speaker system, now i would like to add a high pass fiter to the rest of my stock speakers. I looked and the only things i could find is for rca cables. Is there anything i could put in my stock speaker wires that would prevent the lows from going to my front stage.

MiniVanMan is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Question

A passive crossover does exactly that. You need to figure out the frequency you want to cut. Then find a crossover calculator somewhere online to calculate the value for the components you'll need.

For a 6 db per ocatve cut, you would use just one capacitor. If you wanted a steeper slope you would use a capacitor in series and an inductor in parallel.

I'd say a just a simple 6 db slope cut at about 100-120 hz will probably do what you're looking for.

2007 Chrysler Town & Country Type R

Being installed as we speak
    Mids: 7" Scan Speak Revelator
    Tweets: Lotus RT27F
    Subs: Dayton RS315HO (x2)

H/U: Eclipse 8053
    Amps: Memphis ST1500, ST200.4, ST150

Want to understand your passive crossover a little better??

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...0&page=1&pp=10

Your ability to buy expensive audio equipment does NOT make you an "audiophile"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok i think i would be fine with a 6db 100-120hz but where can i buy the capacitor, could u send me a link cause i have no idea with kind of capacitor i would need.

Hintzyboy is offline Sparks mean its working!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Refs:
    CarAudio.com: SlickRick, CubanAffection, trevor87, BigBirney420, Apollyon, Dinty01, TeamPSI, QtrHorse (x2), 6spdcoupe, Siddle, Smokingachicken, MisterGrubbs, Fast1One, MiniVanMan(x2), Jntar, blackbonnie, tigerf117, kasimo420, blaze383, XaznKewLguyX, SRim23, RidnClean, Team H&K, djvi0lent, jeeper07, turboaudi
    DIYMA: snaimpally
    CA.com Feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327860
    Ebay Feedback http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=hintzyboy79

MiniVanMan is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The capacitor value you're looking for will be about 350 microfarads (given your speakers are 4 ohm. You're going to have to shop around cause it may be hard to find.

Parts Express would be the first place to look, and unfortunately I can't seem to get the PE page to load on my computer (stupid hotel network), so I can't help you there.

Another thing, you need to be absolutely sure what the impedance of your stock speakers are. Different impedances need different cap values.

2007 Chrysler Town & Country Type R

Being installed as we speak
    Mids: 7" Scan Speak Revelator
    Tweets: Lotus RT27F
    Subs: Dayton RS315HO (x2)

H/U: Eclipse 8053
    Amps: Memphis ST1500, ST200.4, ST150

Want to understand your passive crossover a little better??

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...0&page=1&pp=10

Your ability to buy expensive audio equipment does NOT make you an "audiophile"

Hintzyboy is offline Sparks mean its working!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MiniVanMan View Post
    The capacitor value you're looking for will be about 350 microfarads (given your speakers are 4 ohm. You're going to have to shop around cause it may be hard to find.

Parts Express would be the first place to look, and unfortunately I can't seem to get the PE page to load on my computer (stupid hotel network), so I can't help you there.

Another thing, you need to be absolutely sure what the impedance of your stock speakers are. Different impedances need different cap values.
    Very true. The bass blockers in the link I posted will work only if the stock speakers are 8 ohmers.

Refs:
    CarAudio.com: SlickRick, CubanAffection, trevor87, BigBirney420, Apollyon, Dinty01, TeamPSI, QtrHorse (x2), 6spdcoupe, Siddle, Smokingachicken, MisterGrubbs, Fast1One, MiniVanMan(x2), Jntar, blackbonnie, tigerf117, kasimo420, blaze383, XaznKewLguyX, SRim23, RidnClean, Team H&K, djvi0lent, jeeper07, turboaudi
    DIYMA: snaimpally
    CA.com Feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327860
    Ebay Feedback http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=hintzyboy79

Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ds80mx View Post
    ok i think i would be fine with a 6db 100-120hz but where can i buy the capacitor, could u send me a link cause i have no idea with kind of capacitor i would need.
    Is 150Hz too high of a cutoff? If it would work Crutchfield has these.

Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ya 150 would be too high i have my sub cut off at 120hz im going to try to find out how many ohms my speakers are

Closed Thread