Closed Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Reload Thread: Do I really need components?

  1. #1
    Raffi's Avatar
    Raffi is offline Bring our TROOPS HOME!!!!



    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    1,192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Do I really need components?

    I have some coaxials on my doors. I also added some tweeters with and built in HPF. I have the tweeters up on the pilars. To me it sounds nice. What would be the big difference with Components since I already have tweeters installed. 6x9 in the back all running of an Alpine MRD-F240(i think thats the model). Or should I just upgrade the coax on my doors?



    I Love This country




  2. #2
    bdawson72's Avatar
    bdawson72 is offline Finally Has Bass Again



    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    434/804, Virginia 15's:Yezzir
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,561
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Do I really need components?

    yup



    149@32 hz(headrest)......Dammit i needs to be louder



  3. #3
    DejaWiz's Avatar
    DejaWiz is offline Speaker Bee-otch



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    5,169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Do I really need components?

    Deaden your doors, replace the fronts with a good set of comps, yank out the rears, and install a sub. There, now you're all set.



    2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

    Setting Amp Gains:
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/Den_of_Dragons/topic/508709/1/


    References
    Bought from: jacobcopeland87, 95bat, alxmlr789, na_rsx


  4. #4
    Raffi's Avatar
    Raffi is offline Bring our TROOPS HOME!!!!

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    1,192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Do I really need components?

    Quote Originally Posted by DejaWiz View Post
    Deaden your doors, replace the fronts with a good set of comps, yank out the rears, and install a sub. There, now you're all set.
    I have a sub already...



    I Love This country

  5. #5
    Gary S's Avatar
    Gary S is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ex JL Audio Rep
    Posts
    1,070
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Do I really need components?

    Coaxes usually don't have adequate crossovers for a flat frequency response... plus, on all but the best, the tweeter in front of the mid/woofer also causes response errors.

    I would try one set of nice components in the front. Might sound more live instead of just sounding like you have a bunch of speakers.




  6. #6
    J31Rob's Avatar
    J31Rob is offline CarTune Netwerk



    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    11,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Do I really need components?

    May not need, but they're always nice to have.. so yeah, you oughta get some.



    the FUNK / facebook.com/The.Funk.765
    CarTune Netwerk / facebook.com/cartune.netwerk0

    Alpine / Sundown Audio / Sound Solutions Audio
    Audio Technix / CT Sounds / Execution Audio



  7. #7
    Raffi's Avatar
    Raffi is offline Bring our TROOPS HOME!!!!

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    1,192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Do I really need components?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
    Coaxes usually don't have adequate crossovers for a flat frequency response... plus, on all but the best, the tweeter in front of the mid/woofer also causes response errors.

    I would try one set of nice components in the front. Might sound more live instead of just sounding like you have a bunch of speakers.
    That makes sence. I will install today or so! I picked up some Polk 5.25 EX2550



    I Love This country

  8. #8
    DejaWiz's Avatar
    DejaWiz is offline Speaker Bee-otch



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    5,169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Do I really need components?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi View Post
    I have a sub already...
    Doh! Sorry, I missed that in your sig. Anyways, if you're wanting to get some good SQ and imaging from your system, upgrade those fronts to comps with the biggest diameter mid you can fit in there. Ditch the rears, they're of no benefit if a healthy front stage and sub stage is present.



    2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

    Setting Amp Gains:
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/Den_of_Dragons/topic/508709/1/


    References
    Bought from: jacobcopeland87, 95bat, alxmlr789, na_rsx


  9. #9
    Raffi's Avatar
    Raffi is offline Bring our TROOPS HOME!!!!

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    1,192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Do I really need components?

    Quote Originally Posted by DejaWiz View Post
    Doh! Sorry, I missed that in your sig. Anyways, if you're wanting to get some good SQ and imaging from your system, upgrade those fronts to comps with the biggest diameter mid you can fit in there. Ditch the rears, you won't benefit if a healthy front stage is present.
    So no speakers in the rear at all..Just the comp in the front? And WHy?



    I Love This country

  10. #10
    DejaWiz's Avatar
    DejaWiz is offline Speaker Bee-otch



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    5,169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Do I really need components?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi View Post
    So no speakers in the rear at all..Just the comp in the front? And WHy?
    Soundstaging and imaging, my friend.

    With a properly imaged system, you should be able to close your eyes while listening to your favorite song and draw a mental picture of where everyone is positioned on the concert stage in front of you.



    2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

    Setting Amp Gains:
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/Den_of_Dragons/topic/508709/1/


    References
    Bought from: jacobcopeland87, 95bat, alxmlr789, na_rsx


  11. #11
    Raffi's Avatar
    Raffi is offline Bring our TROOPS HOME!!!!

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    1,192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Do I really need components?

    Quote Originally Posted by DejaWiz View Post
    Soundstaging and imaging, my friend.

    With a properly imaged system, you should be able to close your eyes while listening to your favorite song and draw a mental picture of where everyone is positioned on the concert stage in front of you.
    In concerts you have speakers behind the crowd also. Like surround sound.



    I Love This country

  12. #12
    DejaWiz's Avatar
    DejaWiz is offline Speaker Bee-otch



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    5,169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Do I really need components?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi View Post
    In concerts you have speakers behind the crowd also. Like surround sound.
    Not many concerts. If the source signal is a true quadraphonic signal going through a surround processor, then you'll benefit from rears.

    Do you have a surround processor installed and are you using source material recorded in a surround sound format?



    2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

    Setting Amp Gains:
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/Den_of_Dragons/topic/508709/1/


    References
    Bought from: jacobcopeland87, 95bat, alxmlr789, na_rsx


  13. #13
    Gary S's Avatar
    Gary S is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ex JL Audio Rep
    Posts
    1,070
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Do I really need components?

    I'll second what DejaWiz has said... unless you are sending the rears a dedicated rear channel surround sound signal or at least use a delay on the rear speakers, ditch the rears... they will do more harm than good to the overall sound. Most people have been brainwashed by the 4-speaker OEM standard. This is one of the most frequently asked questions on the board.




  14. #14
    MBrock4u's Avatar
    MBrock4u is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Granite City, Illinois
    Posts
    1,319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Do I really need components?

    There has been alot said on this forum about rear fill or rear speakers in general. Most people don't care for it. Some of us do. It will not kill your system, You just have to set it correctly. They are right in saying spend your money on your front stage. It is the most important. It certainly helps to have time alignment, but you can have rear fill without it. See for yourself which you prefer. Just remember to consentrate more on your front stage.




  15. #15
    DejaWiz's Avatar
    DejaWiz is offline Speaker Bee-otch



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    5,169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Do I really need components?

    Quote Originally Posted by MBrock4u View Post
    There has been alot said on this forum about rear fill or rear speakers in general. Most people don't care for it. Some of us do. It will not kill your system, You just have to set it correctly. They are right in saying spend your money on your front stage. It is the most important. It certainly helps to have time alignment, but you can have rear fill without it. See for yourself which you prefer. Just remember to consentrate more on your front stage.
    Agreed 100%. A little experimentation never hurt anyone. Try it without any rears for a month to get acclimated to it, then hook them back up. This will help determine which method you really prefer.



    2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

    Setting Amp Gains:
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/Den_of_Dragons/topic/508709/1/


    References
    Bought from: jacobcopeland87, 95bat, alxmlr789, na_rsx


Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum