Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Looking at Crystal SSCS6

Hey guys, i know i have been posting loads of speaker threads lately, and i have been looking at past topics on the forum through the search button. Gathering info slowly.

I just would like a few more opinions before i go and purchase, its really hard for me to pick one set without getting confused and or stressed

Good News is I bought my amp (Hifonics ZXi 6006) so i will be running my components off 150 watts @ 4 ohms

I am almost sold on the crystals, but it seems like a mixed bag when the object of SQ is brought up.

I really love my music clear, and SQ is always comes first before loudness. I hear crystals have a nasty midbass and a nasty midrange but the highs are very debatable. FYI, I have no place to hear these for myself.

Lately I have heard the X type series thrown around (Alpine), CDT EF's, Pioneer, Cerwin Vega (however i can't find these anywhere at a reputable site and a good price), Rainbow, and Peerless and others thrown around when the topic of clear, smooth, highs and overall SQ. Meanwhile the crystals don't really make an appearance. I would love to keep it under 200 but if the increase in SQ is that dramatic or if its such a good deal, i could bend.

Sorry for the long post, All opinions would be greatly appreciated
    Hopefully this will be my last topic about this for a while

Thanks

Ignatowski is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

Re: Looking at Crystal SSCS6

you read too much.........Crystals PWN

kicker06 is offline Umm, I don't pay for food

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They ****.

'02 Dodge Intrepid SE

Refs: Shon (owner of ROE) x2, Tony (on ROE), DL97, Armageddon, uncfanforlife07, Shawn Fleming, Toxic Tuan, jybfan04 and 65 More

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Actually they don't but I think the local shop that set up my amp was full of downy's, so I blame it on that.

For now..

We will see.

I have had these in for like 5 months and they play well, and sound good.

'02 Dodge Intrepid SE

Refs: Shon (owner of ROE) x2, Tony (on ROE), DL97, Armageddon, uncfanforlife07, Shawn Fleming, Toxic Tuan, jybfan04 and 65 More

JB16 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by excelerater View Post
    you read too much.........Crystals PWN
    hahaha i think that is the main problem.

Any other opinion before i go and purchase these?

Latina33 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Not sure if you've bought a pair of components yet, but here's my take on my Crystals after a few weeks.....

I've had my set of Crystals installed in the front for about 3 weeks now, and I can tell they're just starting to break in a little more. I don't have my doors deadened at all, and they still sound great....the midbass is very nice, esp. with a 12in sub in the rear and no rearfill speakers.

I ran an older set of Focals before my Crystals, and I would say that the midbass is about the same, however, the Focal TN 45 tweeters are definitely brighter/more 'shrilly' with the high reproduction than the Crystal tweeters. I really grew to like the Focal's more metallic harshness, especially after I played with the settings on my deck to tune them down to a level of my preference.

You can definitely tell that the Crystal tweeters are not silk, but at the same time, they don't have near the harshness at high volumes of a Focal or MB Quart tweet (I owned a set of MB Quart 218.13CX components before the Focals). I really like their sound reporduction.

I'm powering them with 200W RMS a side, and even though I can barely turn the gains up to 1/3 of their adjustment range, the Crystals still really sound good. 3 weeks in, I am very pleased with their performance, and once I break them in a little more, and eventually get around to proper deadening of my doors, I know they'll keep on doing so.

I would definitely buy them again.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

Pl8er is offline Can you solve it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Use the search function. I'm no flaming, this has been covered MANY MANY times. Usually these are compared to rainbows. Rainbows usually win. Some of the higher CDT's are better as well.

NEVER buy from Dealer Cost Car Audio, ask me why

Rainbow SLC+Tru 4.65 + RF 3sixty.2 = yum.
    Quote Originally Posted by IamDeMan View Post
    Draw away. It has already been proven with math that you are wrong. I believe math is > paint last time I checked.
    "5 midgets spanking a naked man covered in thousand island dressing, is this love too?"

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull187 View Post
    FYI the blue wire was connected to something else. I know it was put in right b/c the guys at Circuit City put it in.
    "We never underestimate, the destructive power of change."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pl8er View Post
    Use the search function. I'm no flaming, this has been covered MANY MANY times. Usually these are compared to rainbows. Rainbows usually win. Some of the higher CDT's are better as well.
    Rainbows usually win?

how does a speaker win?

It's all personal preference.

'02 Dodge Intrepid SE

DejaWiz is offline Speaker Bee-otch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

^ exactly. It is all personal preference. Hearing music from different sets of speakers and determining which reproduce it the best is subjective.

For example, Crystals may perform great to people A, B, and C, but person D will tell you they are the worst they have ever heard. All speakers from all brands will carry both positive and negative marks from a variety of people. That's why taking recommendations for a set of speakers over the internet is risky.

I know you are limited in choice since you are not able to audition a whole lot, but are there any sets that you have auditioned which exhibit the kind of sound reproduction you want? Did they do well with something in particular but lacked in something else? If you can be specific, we all might be able to tell you which set from your list would be the best match for what you are wanting performance-wise.

2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

Setting Amp Gains:
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/Den_of_Dragons/topic/508709/1/

References
    Bought from: jacobcopeland87, 95bat, alxmlr789, na_rsx

JB16 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I stated in my topic that I have used the search button very much. I've read pretty much every thread on it on this forum. However, I wanted a few more last minute opinions before I purchased them. Appreciate it if you read my thread before u jump on the "search button" bandwagon.

Thanks for everyone who has helped, I am going to go out and go listen and see what type of sound i like and that i can use to compare and i'll let you know.

In the meantime, more opinions would be awesome guys. I would really love to get this ordered!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kicker06 View Post
    Rainbows usually win?

how does a speaker win?

It's all personal preference.
    When compared, and polled, the rainbows usually win the poll, or vote. Thats all that I meant.

Draw away. It has already been proven with math that you are wrong. I believe math is > paint last time I checked.
    "5 midgets spanking a naked man covered in thousand island dressing, is this love too?"

FYI the blue wire was connected to something else. I know it was put in right b/c the guys at Circuit City put it in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JB16 View Post
    I stated in my topic that I have used the search button very much. I've read pretty much every thread on it on this forum. However, I wanted a few more last minute opinions before I purchased them. Appreciate it if you read my thread before u jump on the "search button" bandwagon.

Thanks for everyone who has helped, I am going to go out and go listen and see what type of sound i like and that i can use to compare and i'll let you know.

In the meantime, more opinions would be awesome guys. I would really love to get this ordered!

Thanks

As I stated in MY reply, I'm not flaming you. I have just seen on many occasions in the speaker section that when talking about Crystal's they are compared to Rainbow audio. So basically I was saying search out a thread that says crystal and rainbow and read what they say.

Not because I don't like crystal, but because those threads will explain from knowledgable people where the crystals, rainbows, and a few other speakers are best utilized (what type of music, what location, etc).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When compared, and polled, the rainbows usually win the poll, or vote. Thats all that I meant.
    Polls are not accurate.

People may just come in and vote, or just because there is a Rainbow boner, people will just vote for them. It doesn't mean it's a better speaker, and this goes for all speakers.

Rainbow was and still is a forum boner. But from ACCURATE reviews (from owners, not a bandwagoner) are very helpful compared to a poll or someone hearing something about that speaker from someone else.

'02 Dodge Intrepid SE

lvfive.o is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a set in my truck I like 'em. They are in fiberglass enclosures and being ran by a Usamps MD22 so they are getting 200 watts rms, they sounded good hooked up to my md42 also and they were getting about 100 rms until it blew.

Refs:
    Bought From: TeamPSI, Mattmcss, Skmfkr, Flakko, mikeyboc, 3rdID, the_franchise, DRCKISS, AudioXtremes, AlpineAndy, dB Dom

Sold To: TeamPSI, UndercoverPunk, Robertw813, Kevzaz, 45jimmy, 528hz, VarsityBumper, Toasted1, edwelly, teamsolo, dcole18, JoeSmith502, HawaiianBassHed, jaredspl, oxsign, 18inchjeepin

scotsman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had a set in my car for approximately 3 days before I smashed the whole right side of my car. They are having to replace the door so I dunno what they will do about my speaker and sound deadening in that door. For the time I was able to listen to them they sounded great.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List