Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Which speakers to replace blown factory, powered by HU

file is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Which speakers to replace blown factory, powered by HU

Looking to spend less than or around 100$ for some new speakers. I drive a 91' mazda 626, and I have come into an Eclipse cd1000 head unit... Looking at getting 2x 4" and 2x 6.5"

I have basically zero experience in car audio besides what browsing the web and little insight from friends I've gathered over the past few days.

Some basic info gathered from the web about the HU.
    Details:
    CD player with built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)

With no real knowledge of what I needed, I've been browsing around trying to match speakers with an RMS of around 18. Generally just need help.

DaveDSMer is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Which speakers to replace blown factory, powered by HU

ok ill make your life easy with this one. Go buy the cheap Pioneer (grey cone) speakers from circuit city or best buy and have them install them. Its quick, easy, and even those guys cant mess up something as simple as that.

Or if you want to DIY. Buy those speakers cheap online. Remove old speakers. Put new speakers in. Done. (may have to buy a few male terminal ends to crimp on the wires which you can get at any car audio place)

If you are concerted with tech support and customer service I highly recommend getting your audio from Crutchfield.com. Unmatched as far as those services are concerned.

1988 Ford Ranger Supercab:

Headunit: Kenwood EZ700SR
    Front Stage: SoundStream EXC4.1 Components
    Rear Fill: JBL GTO8626 6x8
    Hi Amp: Blaupunkt PCA460 60x4 rms
    Sub: Infinity Perfect 12.1
    Box: 1.3ft Sealed
    Sub Amp: Sony XM-D1000P5 500x1 @4ohm rms

XanderMoser is offline Poor college student

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You aren't likely to find speakers with RMS ratings that low, not decent ones anyway. You can get speakers with higher RMS ratings. Then later if you get an amp you can match the amp to the speakers. And ignore peak ratings. They don't mean a thing really.

tunes is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have to agree with the Pioneer recommendation. I've sold TONS of these things to people with crappy factory and crappy aftermarket head units, and everybody loves 'em. They're really not bad as far as bottom of the barrel speakers are concerned.

If you think you may end up getting into the whole car audio thing then I'd recommend Memphis PR components. They're cheap, they sound good off of radio power, and will sound better if you ever get an amp.

Darren5531 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have some pioneer 6.5"s that I could sell or alpine type s 6.5" speakers that I could sell to you. Send me a pm if you are interested.

krisfnbz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

dont buy anything from crutchfield, its one of the worst places to buy anything car related, its just as overpriced as best buy and circuit city. Search the classifieds of this forum or ebay. Their are alot of audio companies who sell on ebay, like ikesound, and hifisoundconnection.com, Again I repeat, unless you want to waste money on EXACT same products, dont buy at crutchfield.

Yes that is a 5 1/4th audiobahn mid speaker in my civic's headrest. circa 2006.

2000 Celica GTS

Pioneer FH-X700BT
    Powerbass 2XL-60.3C 3 way
    Dayton Ultimax 15", sealed 4cuft
    Memphis 16-MC5.700 5 channel
    Knu wiring

DaveDSMer is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krisfnbz View Post
    dont buy anything from crutchfield, its one of the worst places to buy anything car related, its just as overpriced as best buy and circuit city. Search the classifieds of this forum or ebay. Their are alot of audio companies who sell on ebay, like ikesound, and hifisoundconnection.com, Again I repeat, unless you want to waste money on EXACT same products, dont buy at crutchfield.
    I beg to differ. Lets do some examples. You buy a headunit at crutchfield.. you spend 30-40 bucks more than another internet site. Now you get a free wiring harness plus a free mounting bracket. On top of that detailed instructions on how to install it. Then, if you run into any snag while installing it you can call their customer support line and then will walk you through anything. Ok, lets say you don't like the Headunit or its not the right one for you. Place the PRE-PAID shipping sticker on a box through it in and drop it off at UPS. They will take it back no questions asked and send you a different one. Same goes for speakers. You get free speaker adapters plus wiring adapters to use the factory plugs. All comes with the same warranty and return deal.

Now lets say I go to ikesound.com and order the same thing. I save a little bit of money but now I have to pay for all my install accessories and I don't have near the amount of customer support or warranty power that crutchfield has. I send something back to them for repair.. i may not see it for a few months.

For someone new in the car audio world Crutchfield is one of the best places to order. For someone who knows how to fabricate and install all their own stuff sure you can get whatever from ebay for tons cheaper because you actualy know what you are doing to begin with and don't have to worry about getting the right equipment.

1988 Ford Ranger Supercab:

Headunit: Kenwood EZ700SR
    Front Stage: SoundStream EXC4.1 Components
    Rear Fill: JBL GTO8626 6x8
    Hi Amp: Blaupunkt PCA460 60x4 rms
    Sub: Infinity Perfect 12.1
    Box: 1.3ft Sealed
    Sub Amp: Sony XM-D1000P5 500x1 @4ohm rms

MATT2007 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i went to wal-mart LOL and bought speakersLOL but they were the blue pionners and I really like the way they sound about $60 a pair

Closed Thread