Reload Thread: speaker placement

sealw98 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

speaker placement

I have a 1972 pontiac Grandville coupe and I just recently purchase inside speakers, I'm trying to aviod cuting and damaging too much. So I purchased Infinity reference 2way 6x9 for rear deck 31/2 front dash and 6.5 componets to be installed on front door by way of fiberglass pods. 2 12's in the trunk.

Here is my questions I have a space in the front dash for a 4x10 and was wondering should I place a speaker there and make it act as a sub? or just leave that space empty?

Next i'm being told that I should think about returning the 6.5 componets or return the 31/2 and place the tweeter from the componets in the dash where they would go.

Could someone shed some light on my situation and explain to me how I sould set my speakers what to use what not to use thanks.

Gary S is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: speaker placement

I would ditch the 3.5" dash speakers and the rear 6X9's, and as long as you are going to build pods, why not put the speakers where they will sound the best overall... the kick panels. Google the phrase "equal path lengths" and "car audio" for more.

Rear fill is a tradition carried over from OEM... a way to get more bass from cars with no subs... and marketing... 20 speakers sounds better to a new car buyer.

The only correct way to do rear fill is with a surround processor, or by feeding the rears a delay... a stereo or mono signal to the rears will hurt sound stage and imaging, not help it.

The 3.5 inch in the dash will be inefficient, add no usable midbass, and if they aim at the windshield, they will produce excessive near-field reflections off the glass, a form of distortion. Plus, depending on the dash placement in that car, they may also hurt your stereo imaging and soundstage. Need I say more?!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kick panels sit to far under dash would not be efficent, so our goal is to turn the car into two big three way speakers if I get you drift. Highs up front mids in the rear dash and subs in the trunk?

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well , what are you after ? Something that sounds decent , or a competition worthy system ? With just tweets up front , and everything else coming from the rear . I don't think you would be happy with the sound .

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Gary S is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sealw98 View Post
    our goal is to turn the car into two big three way speakers if I get you drift. Highs up front mids in the rear dash and subs in the trunk?
    - that does not sound like a true three-way system. I would suggest a component set up front, and subs in the back... subwoofer/satellite system.

Quote Originally Posted by sealw98 View Post
    Kick panels sit to far under dash would not be efficent...
    - Amplifier power is cheap

No need to sacrifice spl for sound quality unless you are talking about needing more than 300 watts for a component set/mids and highs. There are component sets out there that will handle several hundred watts high passed around 80 hz.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I had bought all those speakers trying to keep car close to original, going to factory locations, the only modification would be the 4x10 in dash(a factory location also) and the componets on the the door pods I'm really after nice sound. clean and accurate, not trying to win any comptetions, personal pleasure and a occasional thump or two.

Closed Thread