Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: How practical an idea is "budget" active 3way?

bangandow is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How practical an idea is "budget" active 3way?

I'm wrapping up the last of my projects on my car, so I'm getting bored and looking for something else to occupy my time... just wondering if this idea would be worth it SQ-wise, or if it'd be on par with the setup I have now...

Current setup:
    Pioneer 7800 HU
    Kicker 700.5 benched at over 900 running...
    kicker CVX10
    kicker RS6.5 components (mids in door, tweets in a-pillar)

Haven't heard any SQ vehicles (at all) so I have nothing to compare them to, but I feel like the RS's are the weak link now. I'm running them with a bit more than their rated RMS (crossed at 100) and they're bottoming out on good drum kicks. The mids also seem to get overwhelmed in songs that have alot going on in them...

So I was thinking of going to an active 3way, but on a students budget.

First step would be to get a crossover (advice wanted on basic electronic vs. full-on processor) and put a set of Dayton RS180's in the doors, moving the mids to kicks (6.5's are big for kicks ). Hopefully that would ease some of the pressure on the kicker mids and help out my staging some.

Initially, the components would still be run with their passive crossover coming from one of the 4 channels on the amp, but step two would be to get a small 2channel amp for the tweeters and go to active with those as well...

Step 3 (way down the road) would be swapping out the mids and tweets (mids first), but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Basically, I'm wondering if I can get this beast sounding noticeably better than it does now with the upgrades I have in mind... Like I said, I haven't heard any SQ cars to compare this too, but I feel like there are improvements to be made... looking for feedback

P.S. I know I ramble... thanks for reading

alphakenny1 is offline LOTUS FTW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: How practical an idea is "budget" active 3way?

do you mean a 3 way front stage or a 3 way setup (2 way up front + sub)?

to answer the question quickly, yes you can run a 3 way up front on a budget setup but the tricky part is the processing. i always suggest getting either an h701 combo or p9 combo for practical use of a 3 way up front. but there are ways around it without getting a combo.

W200/H701
    Dyn MW160/Lotus RM110/Seas Neo Alum/Idmax
    Alpine PDX

References
    RoudyruffKK, mattmcss, BLD 25, 02corvette
    bjfish11 ,slain93gsr, DJGTSR, flakko, FoxPro5
    2.2l integra, rawdogj, guy022077, bumpn_gt
    lowlinc, rocky 59, alann, ECA, DIYMA

bay area people need some custom work done? pm me. here's some work that we've done:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/151662/1
    http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...man52/Install/
    http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=76937

j3bus2k3 is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your best budget option for processing is an outboard processor like a Coustic XM7, or an AudioControl piece, even though their both still in the ~$100+ range...

AIM: SPL Performance1
    /////Alpine 9835
    Active Processing via Coustic XM7
    Dayton 7" Mid-woofer with Seas Neo Tweet
    JBL/Crown 1100 & Power 300.4
    12" TC3000 Based Custom in 2.25ft^3 at 32hz

Wallet say But I say

References:Moe Lester, PV Audio, sss18734, DJ-Torn, dleccord, jiggy2dmax, Negativezeroz, Bama350z, TeamPSI, dB Dom, Kenny Pollock, Flossinon24s, Patfitz9 (x2), AppleBonker, BassAddictJ, the727kid, skadude016, CaliKid, Thumper88, Djman37, TeamQuakeCelica, Cerob, Pimpedout97x, Troy_Audi0, got_focus?, Karleon, Jamaica2G, rtillare, dumple, JohnnyBusa, mattmcss, whitem1ke88, nineball

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I meant 3-way front stage... the sub is fine as it is.

I've already asked for some advice about the processor bit, but am still undecided whether to go with a basic electronic crossover or spring for the whole processor thing... just not sure if I'd use that much fine-tuning... but then again, 6 months ago I thought I'd NEVER outgrow the system I have now... :\

In addition to the processing issue, what kinda sound can you really get out of budget drivers, etc...? The more I learn, the more unimpressed I am with these kickers and am wondering if switching over to other drivers would really make much of a difference... keep in mind I don't have nearly enough money to be buying high-end seas drivers, for instance... Maybe a seas tweet, dayton reference dome mid, and dayton reference midbass?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

J3bus, I noticed you have two of the three drivers I had in mind... how impressed are you with them versus, say, a $200+ set of kicker components?

j3bus2k3 is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bangandow View Post
    J3bus, I noticed you have two of the three drivers I had in mind... how impressed are you with them versus, say, a $200 set of kicker components?
    Havn't been able to install them yet. The car they were going into blew up

Waiting for the right car to get it all in...

AIM: SPL Performance1
    /////Alpine 9835
    Active Processing via Coustic XM7
    Dayton 7" Mid-woofer with Seas Neo Tweet
    JBL/Crown 1100 & Power 300.4
    12" TC3000 Based Custom in 2.25ft^3 at 32hz

Wallet say But I say

References:Moe Lester, PV Audio, sss18734, DJ-Torn, dleccord, jiggy2dmax, Negativezeroz, Bama350z, TeamPSI, dB Dom, Kenny Pollock, Flossinon24s, Patfitz9 (x2), AppleBonker, BassAddictJ, the727kid, skadude016, CaliKid, Thumper88, Djman37, TeamQuakeCelica, Cerob, Pimpedout97x, Troy_Audi0, got_focus?, Karleon, Jamaica2G, rtillare, dumple, JohnnyBusa, mattmcss, whitem1ke88, nineball

///M5 is offline Big Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You should really do a 2 way first. Also, before you right off the Kickers lets talk about how you have them installed. Almost 100% of the time the weak link in car audio is the install and not the drivers themselves.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First, thanks for helping me out...

Now as for the kicker install... I had the tweeters in the factory locations at opposite corners of the dash, but they sounded really harsh and the soundstage made a big arc with each side being below the dash and the center above the rearview... so I put them in the a-pillars, firing across at each other, about 3 inches above the highest point on the dash. Now they sound much better (still way louder than the mids (??)), and the staging is much more even.

The mids are installed at the far bottom corners of the doors, and I've gone through all the steps in the door treatment thread (deadening, open-celled foam behind drivers, plexiglass over holes, MDF spacers with non-hardening clay)

Like I said, the mids are high-passed at 100hz and they're still bottoming out on stronger drum kicks... they also seem overwhelmed when there's a lot going on in a song (think tool)

iceteebone is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

according to pioneers website, the 780 has a 3-way xover network

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sub lowpass, front highpass, and rear highpass... increments between 50 and 200... no bandpass capabilities, and 200 is an awful low cap on the crossovers.

iceteebone is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bangandow View Post
    Sub lowpass, front highpass, and rear highpass... increments between 50 and 200... no bandpass capabilities, and 200 is an awful low cap on the crossovers.
    is there a switch on the deck itself to switch to a pro mode?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pretty sure there isn't...

headless is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sell the kickers and buy some Rainbow Germaniums. Deaden the crap out of your doors. Feed them 150-200watts per side. Proceed to enjoy.

Eclipse CD7000 - RioCar Empeg 3
    Rainbow Powerline CS 275.27 / Arc Audio 4150 XXK (Woofers) - Arc Audio 2100 XXK (Tweeters)
    Rainbow Vanadium 12 x2 / Arc Audio 1500 XXK
    Quote Originally Posted by TEAM HAMMER
    Your so full of Crap! The last place you want a Midbass or Sub is in front of you Retard Whens the last time you seen a 12in+ sub up front?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdawson72
    Technically, bigger wire has more resistance.

PatFitz9 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you would be surprised what a hundred dollars of deadening can do to your stereo

refs...
    twoohfour, PRIVATEpastry, hellomota, DBfan187, etznova, iamamp3pimp, btnhfan, XylerB, Digital B, Showrides, Thunder9500, Termlab, fawd06, PepsiFiend69, bholtmeier, Megalomaniac, bjfish11, j3bus2k3, probmxstyle, brigante, massiveaudiocw, JoeHemi57, BigRed98Ram, inapontiac, CFaber, VarsityBumper, 3.5Max6spd, Geezerpoop, phatcat600, Pimpdaddyq, XaznKewLguyX, ABSOLUTEAUDIO, lslugz, mgbcs, TeZ, mazdakid, Reson8, LaserRed38

headless is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PatFitz9 View Post
    you would be surprised what a hundred dollars of deadening can do to your stereo
    He said he's already deadened the doors...
    The mids are installed at the far bottom corners of the doors, and I've gone through all the steps in the door treatment thread (deadening, open-celled foam behind drivers, plexiglass over holes, MDF spacers with non-hardening clay)
    I didn't do any of that and the germaniums still get the job done...the rattles/buzzing irritate me alot however
    I'm preparing to **** myself in ecstacy when i finally deaden the crap out of the doors.

Eclipse CD7000 - RioCar Empeg 3
    Rainbow Powerline CS 275.27 / Arc Audio 4150 XXK (Woofers) - Arc Audio 2100 XXK (Tweeters)
    Rainbow Vanadium 12 x2 / Arc Audio 1500 XXK
    Quote Originally Posted by TEAM HAMMER
    Your so full of Crap! The last place you want a Midbass or Sub is in front of you Retard Whens the last time you seen a 12in+ sub up front?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdawson72
    Technically, bigger wire has more resistance.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast