Closed Thread

Reload Thread: stock speaker with amp quick question!

pdtran is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

stock speaker with amp quick question!

i'm isntalling my system right now in my 528i which has a factory system with an amp. i already installed the head unit and now i'm looking at doing the rest.

my question is, is that since the wires are so conveniently placed in the back already into the stock amp and i am going to tap into those wires to use my own amp, if i plugged the rear stock speakers (for rear fill) into my x200.4 with the gains turned all the way down, could htey still blow? or would turning the gains all the way down or maybe up a tiny bit be okay for it? don't want to leave rear fill out because i always have a lot of passengers.

since im using the stock wiring, i just need to run RCAs from the head unit to the trunk, since my battery is also in the trunk. would it be ok to run them down the center of the car (like under the center console) and under the carpet?

Gianotti is offline UNLIMTED POWER

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: stock speaker with amp quick question!

bro, i wouldnt run factory speakers with an aftermarket amp, im pretty sure you would fry em, i install for a living so after market speakers arent that great unless you have like upgraded ones from the factory, but since u have a Beamer, u might be able to do it, but yes u can run your RCA's down the center of you car, just make sure when you run your wires to not let the RCA's and power wire come close to each other it creates road noise and engine noise u can notice it throughout ur speakers/subs

///M5 is offline Big Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BS on the running of wires next to each other, if you have noise it is from a different reason.

Go ahead and run the factory speakers with the amp, when you hear them distort turn them down. Of course, after listening for a few minutes you are going to get the itch to turn them up....might as well just do it all at once. You don't need rears in your 5 at all though, trust me on that one

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gianotti View Post
    bro, i wouldnt run factory speakers with an aftermarket amp, im pretty sure you would fry em, i install for a living so after market speakers arent that great unless you have like upgraded ones from the factory, but since u have a Beamer, u might be able to do it, but yes u can run your RCA's down the center of you car, just make sure when you run your wires to not let the RCA's and power wire come close to each other it creates road noise and engine noise u can notice it throughout ur speakers/subs
    speakers in the back are whack....nothing special just cuz they're bimmer. won't have any probs with power wires since the batt is in the trunk already so they won't cross. hopefully it'll be ok since most the sound will be faded up front anyways, planning on fading it until the rear fill is unoticableto people up front.

worth a shot i guess and if worst comes to worst....ill replace with some cheap but decent 5.25" coax..

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ///M5 View Post
    BS on the running of wires next to each other, if you have noise it is from a different reason.

Go ahead and run the factory speakers with the amp, when you hear them distort turn them down. Of course, after listening for a few minutes you are going to get the itch to turn them up....might as well just do it all at once. You don't need rears in your 5 at all though, trust me on that one
    got urself an m5 huh...sick ride...what year? and did yours come with the same audio systems as the other 5ers or is there an m audio package?

i got non-dsp...and i'm thinking the facotry bimmer wiring should be pretty decent enough to keep it stock. it will save me a lot of time and is real convenient if i keep it stock too. wondering if you did the same??

sh1t...while were on the 5er topic, where did you run your wires when you routed them to the trunk anyways? any websites with walkthroughs or anything that will help me remove interior parts in order to get a nice clean install?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hit this thead up ///M5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mine's an E34 M5. Brillantrot with black leather interior. I drove an E39 when buying it, but really prefer the E34 and with the mods on mine it will easily keep up with an E39 other than from a dead stop.

When I did the stereo in mine, I removed the whole interior other than the headliner which made running wires pretty easy. I mounted Seas Excel W18's in the kicks by glassing in 1" baffles, made custom mounts for ScanSpeak D2904 tweets in the sail panels, and am running a Soundsplinter Rlp in the trunk. I wouldn't say that mine is a typical installation, but I will tell you that the car takes well to the front stage but is so well sealed if you are a basshead you are going to have a bit of work to do.

Being its winter and I am in MN, I currently have the trunk out of the car again. I am not exactly sure what I am planning to do, but have a variety of different drivers lying around that may go in. The Rlp is being tucked under the seat of my e/c pickup.

I actually think that my 5 might have been the easiest car to do an install in that I have done. It is super easy to get wires from the battery to the trunk. You just have to pull up the lower seat, remove the upper and you can pass them through . The car panels are pretty dead and don't need the typical American car quotient of deadener, and of course along with that the car is pretty quiet and takes to the front stage nicely as well. The baffles I used in the kicks could easily house 8's, but I didn't have the processing to run a 3 way front when I did the install...we shall see if this changes though.

Regrettably I don't really have any tutorials that I can recommend, but the panels do come off in a straightforward way, if you break clips they are super cheap on the net, and the parts are robust and won't fall apart on you as you disassemble.

Good luck and post pics when you finish!!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mine's an E34 M5. Brillantrot with black leather interior. I drove an E39 when buying it, but really prefer the E34 and with the mods on mine it will easily keep up with an E39 other than from a dead stop.

When I did the stereo in mine, I removed the whole interior other than the headliner which made running wires pretty easy. I mounted Seas Excel W18's in the kicks by glassing in 1" baffles, made custom mounts for ScanSpeak D2904 tweets in the sail panels, and am running a Soundsplinter Rlp in the trunk. I wouldn't say that mine is a typical installation, but I will tell you that the car takes well to the front stage but is so well sealed if you are a basshead you are going to have a bit of work to do.

Being its winter and I am in MN, I currently have the trunk out of the car again. I am not exactly sure what I am planning to do, but have a variety of different drivers lying around that may go in. The Rlp is being tucked under the seat of my e/c pickup.

I actually think that my 5 might have been the easiest car to do an install in that I have done. It is super easy to get wires from the battery to the trunk. You just have to pull up the lower seat, remove the upper and you can pass them through . The car panels are pretty dead and don't need the typical American car quotient of deadener, and of course along with that the car is pretty quiet and takes to the front stage nicely as well. The baffles I used in the kicks could easily house 8's, but I didn't have the processing to run a 3 way front when I did the install...we shall see if this changes though.

Regrettably I don't really have any tutorials that I can recommend, but the panels do come off in a straightforward way, if you break clips they are super cheap on the net, and the parts are robust and won't fall apart on you as you disassemble.

Good luck and post pics when you finish!!
    Started last night by just putting in my head unit with the stock system...surprisingly it sounded a lot better than stock. Decided that today I was going to install everything else with a buddy of mine.

Got home from school, took out my deck to plug in the RCAs and decided that I was going to run it through the center console (found a walk through on how to do this on my car) and run it under the carpet to the left side of the trunk (where the stock amp is located). Then it started raining/thundering like **** when I opened my trunk to make ground connections and power connections to my amps.

Didn't want to stop empty handed and with everything removed, so I decided to just do it ghetto, run the RCAs just through the skipass hole that I got cut (i am a bass head and got that part taken care of). After everything I realized that I didn't have a remote turn on/off wire so the amp wouldn't power on...lol....dumb i know, but this is my first time doing an install and I just got into car audio. I was wondering though, would I just be able to tap into the remote wire to the factory amp with TWO wires to plug into both of my amps?

Another dumb question...once I replace my speakers and all, I can disconnect the four Left/Right Rear/Front Speaker wires to the head unit and tape them up since they are connected to my amps right? Am I right in believing that these connections are just to power it off the HU's internal amp?

Will def. take pics when I am done with it all..

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sick ride btw...i only wish i had a 540 instead of a 528...fun daily driver, but a lil on the slow side...i'm only doing exterior mods.

since mine is blk...got smoked tails/sidemarkers and 15% tint...looking to upgrade to angel eye HIDs with clear corners....blacking out all the chrome on my car...19" wheels...and coilovers. maybe later some m5 bumpers and something like a magnaflow exhaust...they sound real nice for the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I took the power wire off the stock amp temporarily myself, took the whole stock amp and wiring and moved it though when I glassed my sub into the fender well.

As to the disconnect question, yes just make sure that they don't touch each other and short out though. If your headunit allows you to shut off the internal amp that isn't a bad idea either. If you are going to leave the stock amp in place you could just leave those wires connected as well as they will just terminate unaffected into the stock amp.

You had to cut your ski hole? Mine was already there. I am toying with measuring the cars transfer function and designing a bandpass to shoot through the skihole. Pretty much an SQ buff though so that idea might be fun but may not last long in the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Terrible pick, but here ya go:

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I took the power wire off the stock amp temporarily myself, took the whole stock amp and wiring and moved it though when I glassed my sub into the fender well.

As to the disconnect question, yes just make sure that they don't touch each other and short out though. If your headunit allows you to shut off the internal amp that isn't a bad idea either. If you are going to leave the stock amp in place you could just leave those wires connected as well as they will just terminate unaffected into the stock amp.

You had to cut your ski hole? Mine was already there. I am toying with measuring the cars transfer function and designing a bandpass to shoot through the skihole. Pretty much an SQ buff though so that idea might be fun but may not last long in the car.
    Yea I had to get my ski pass cut. Mine did not come with that option so I got it done by my mechanic. Planning on just doing rear firing and using the cut ski pass as a passthrough.

I'm actually trying to find a wiring harness that will connect to the one that goes into the factory amp so I don't have to cut the factory one off in case i ever had to sell the car, but I guess I can just cut it off and reconnect/tape the factory harness if that happens...
    Last edited by pdtran; 02-28-2007 at 01:12 AM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Terrible pick, but here ya go:
    That's sick...I used to have a e34 myself. '89 525i. It was a trooper, but wasn't well taken care of and was kind of a beater car that everyone in my family went through.

Thinking on similar wheels for my e39, probably going to get 19" Silver or Black with Chrome Trim (dunno yet) ADR M-Classics. Look pretty coo, and you can get them for like $700 shipped. Still in scoo so money def. matters...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So tapping into the remote wire for the stock amp and connecting TWO wires to two different amps would be ok?

Closed Thread