Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Reload Thread: New Alpines..

  1. #1
    bushtree's Avatar
    bushtree is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    547
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    New Alpines..

    Hey guys im trying to choose a new set of components for my front stage... I have 100x2 to work with and i need to keep the speakers around $180 or less..

    Im Thinking..

    Crystal SSCS 6
    Polk MMC6500
    (NEW 07) Alpine Type R
    (Last Years) Alpine Type X
    CDT-61

    I mainly listen to Rock and Rap. I dont need it to be super loud, but i have a 12" Entasi (think Rl-p) so it needs to be loud enough to not get drowned out..

    I dont like really harsh tweeters either (My MB Quarts killed my ears)...


    What do you guys suggest?

    Thanks,



    Ref: WkbdKid, djchinky, Polkat, wesl56, swc204, Colt9699, wcarson8911, WDLock, tdawg30, Bloodstalker999, Zeuslicious, ribeiro953, kberkel, latinplaya22




  2. #2
    konechiwa's Avatar
    konechiwa is offline Jeepers



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    3,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New Alpines..

    I personally like the new type R's....sound so much better then the old ones.




  3. #3
    Hintzyboy's Avatar
    Hintzyboy is offline Sparks mean its working!



    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Baraboo, WI
    Posts
    7,536
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

    Re: New Alpines..

    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...hlight=slc+265


    Used Rainbow SLCs. If you must have new, I'd choose the Type Xs or the Crystals



    Refs:
    CarAudio.com: SlickRick, CubanAffection, trevor87, BigBirney420, Apollyon, Dinty01, TeamPSI, QtrHorse (x2), 6spdcoupe, Siddle, Smokingachicken, MisterGrubbs, Fast1One, MiniVanMan(x2), Jntar, blackbonnie, tigerf117, kasimo420, blaze383, XaznKewLguyX, SRim23, RidnClean, Team H&K, djvi0lent, jeeper07, turboaudi
    DIYMA: snaimpally
    CA.com Feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327860
    Ebay Feedback http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=hintzyboy79

  4. #4
    nick310's Avatar
    nick310 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New Alpines..

    Quote Originally Posted by konechiwa View Post
    I personally like the new type R's....sound so much better then the old ones.
    Hey, what are the new type r's comparable to? How does it sound compared to your slc's?




  5. #5
    Max_Power's Avatar
    Max_Power is offline ^ From a Hairdryer ^



    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Posts
    2,130
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: New Alpines..

    if you dont like harsh tweeters I say look into the polks, they have some very smooth tweeters, and are a decent value too.



    References: (Sold To) - Blackbonnie, Ridinhi, BigEM (Bought From) - 95BlackGA, jonnybusa, 2002XLT, IamDeMan, kasimo420, SPL140.2, sundownz
    MY REF PAGE

    Car: 1993 Ford Crown Vic LX
    HU: Panasonic CQ-C700U
    Speaker Amp: Audiopipe AP2002
    Sub Amp: Audiopipe AP18001
    Sub: 15" Kicker L7
    Box: 5.5 cu.ft. @ 35Hz w/ 68sq.in. of port
    Front Speakers: Alpine Type R 5x7
    Wiring: 1/0 Knu Wire, 4ga Stinger Wire, Knu Distribution Blocks, 1/0 Knu "Big Three", Fosgate RCAs
    Accesories: AudioControl Epicenter

  6. #6
    dkmesa's Avatar
    dkmesa is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,104
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New Alpines..

    Quote Originally Posted by konechiwa View Post
    I personally like the new type R's....sound so much better then the old ones.
    details please, I am considering buying a set




  7. #7
    Gary S's Avatar
    Gary S is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ex JL Audio Rep
    Posts
    1,070
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: New Alpines..

    Quote Originally Posted by Hintzyboy View Post


    If you must have new, I'd choose the Type Xs or the Crystals




    - I agree.




  8. #8
    DaveDSMer's Avatar
    DaveDSMer is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Georgia
    Posts
    450
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New Alpines..

    I vote for either the Type X or Polks.



    1988 Ford Ranger Supercab:

    Headunit: Kenwood EZ700SR
    Front Stage: SoundStream EXC4.1 Components
    Rear Fill: JBL GTO8626 6x8
    Hi Amp: Blaupunkt PCA460 60x4 rms
    Sub: Infinity Perfect 12.1
    Box: 1.3ft Sealed
    Sub Amp: Sony XM-D1000P5 500x1 @4ohm rms

  9. #9
    konechiwa's Avatar
    konechiwa is offline Jeepers



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    3,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New Alpines..

    the type R's are completely different to me. My friend has type S components (he says he likes them, go figure) but they kill them.

    The tweeters are probably the biggest imrovment, because now they actually sound...well, good. Not to harsh, and clear. Good punch on midbass, and it's pretty accurate. It's a very good speaker for the money IMO. Crossover's a TINY so they'd fit almost anywhere..

    Haven't heard the crystals or type X's. I have the polk momo's your talking about. Their good, accurate, but the tweeter is harsh for silk. Good punch for midbass, but to me it sounded like a "wall of sound". Seperation just wasn't present. I should have looked around before i purchased them. Not a bad speaker, but not the best. It was just to...soft.

    Bestbuy has the new type R's, and i think you should at least give them a listen before you decide on something else.




  10. #10
    hondarider's Avatar
    hondarider is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    glidden, IA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    593
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New Alpines..

    Quote Originally Posted by konechiwa View Post
    the type R's are completely different to me. My friend has type S components (he says he likes them, go figure) but they kill them.

    The tweeters are probably the biggest imrovment, because now they actually sound...well, good. Not to harsh, and clear. Good punch on midbass, and it's pretty accurate. It's a very good speaker for the money IMO. Crossover's a TINY so they'd fit almost anywhere..

    Haven't heard the crystals or type X's. I have the polk momo's your talking about. Their good, accurate, but the tweeter is harsh for silk. Good punch for midbass, but to me it sounded like a "wall of sound". Seperation just wasn't present. I should have looked around before i purchased them. Not a bad speaker, but not the best. It was just to...soft.

    Bestbuy has the new type R's, and i think you should at least give them a listen before you decide on something else.
    So how do the SLCs the new type Rs and the momos all compare? And is there a big difference between them all?



    Car- 2004 Monte Carlo SS

    Head Unit - Pioneer Premier avic f90bt

    Front stage - Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS

    Front amp - Kicker sx500.2

    Subwoofers - 15" Fi SSD

    Sub Amp - Kicker zx750.1

  11. #11
    konechiwa's Avatar
    konechiwa is offline Jeepers



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    3,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New Alpines..

    my slc's aren't installed yet. I'll listen to them tonight (i have to go to work in 5 minutes) and tell you.

    edit: i need to make MDF baffles now. The plastic ones wont fit, so i need to do some work...i don't get to listen to them yet...I'll be able to tell you by Monday though.
    Last edited by konechiwa; 02-16-2007 at 09:14 PM.




  12. #12
    JimJ's Avatar
    JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    31,683
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

    Re: New Alpines..

    I'd choose the SLC's over the other sets you mentioned.




  13. #13
    nick310's Avatar
    nick310 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New Alpines..

    Quote Originally Posted by konechiwa View Post
    my slc's aren't installed yet. I'll listen to them tonight (i have to go to work in 5 minutes) and tell you.

    edit: i need to make MDF baffles now. The plastic ones wont fit, so i need to do some work...i don't get to listen to them yet...I'll be able to tell you by Monday though.
    Cool, I'm really intrested on how they compare to the SLC's. Since I already know they sound good, could you do a comparison in terms of loudness?




  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Violates Miranda
    Posts
    3,238
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New Alpines..

    Quote Originally Posted by nick310 View Post
    Cool, I'm really intrested on how they compare to the SLC's. Since I already know they sound good, could you do a comparison in terms of loudness?
    give them a proper install with decent power and they will shine...




  15. #15
    wcarson8911's Avatar
    wcarson8911 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    509
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New Alpines..

    i'm really interested in the new type Rs, i heard the older ones ******, any news on the new ones?



    Pioneer 7800
    Pioneer ipod adapter
    Pioneer Rev coaxials
    FI Q 15 D2
    Hifonics 1206d



    Refs : acold7dusta , jiggy2dmax, bushtree, seth350, systembumping, davidtemple, LowEndTheory, dannieboiz, myjaja, tapout

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum