Reload Thread: help! midwoofers not playing

bdavies11 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help! midwoofers not playing

HELP PLZ!!! Ok, i just installed my components yesterday and everything was great. they sounded so sweet i acutally couldnt wait to get up and go to class today. However on my way to school i noticed that they just didnt sound like they did last night and i quickly diagnosed what was wrong... Both midwoofers in each door were not playing AT ALL!! When i got to school i checked the amp and the crossovers and everything was firmly buttoned up like it was last night. No loose connections.
    The only thing that i could think of is that the actual wire to the widwoofers in the doors came out. But how could they both go out at the same time???? Seems highly unlikely that both midwoofers would loose their connection or fail at the same time. Can u guy give me any suggestions before i start ripping my door panels off again.

OCURIEL is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: help! midwoofers not playing

If both tweeters are still working, your only choice is to check connections @ crossovers and speakers.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes both tweeters are still working perfectly. and ive already checked the connection at the crossovers and they're fine. I guess my last choice is to rip off the door panels again. I just dont see how they could both lose connection at bascially the same time.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more question... Is it possible that they are blown? I dont see how they could have blown as i have yet to listen to them loud at all. Would a blown midwoofer not play at all or would it still be trying to play but just sounding like A**?

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you honestly haven't leaned on them and they blew, then usually they'll still try to play, just all distorted and crackling.

If the connectors you used didn't fit tightly on the speaker terminals then maybe they both vibrated off at nearly the same time. One big bump in the road or whatever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdavies11 View Post
    Yes both tweeters are still working perfectly. and ive already checked the connection at the crossovers and they're fine. I guess my last choice is to rip off the door panels again. I just dont see how they could both lose connection at bascially the same time.
    Weirder things have happened. Only one way to find out. If it is the connectors, try sqeezing the connectors with some pliers for a tighter connection.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    If you honestly haven't leaned on them and they blew, then usually they'll still try to play, just all distorted and crackling.

If the connectors you used didn't fit tightly on the speaker terminals then maybe they both vibrated off at nearly the same time. One big bump in the road or whatever.
    Well im hoping they just kinda came loose but im still having a hard time believing they came loose from the terminals because i tightly screwed down the terminals and had a very strong hold on the wires. Oh well, only way to find out is get out there tomorrow and take some doors apart

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screwed down? Hmm..... Are the ends crimped on? Maybe the crimp came loose.

Frankensuby is offline I'm in Ur F0rumZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't be amp, as your tweeters go through the same X-over.

Has to be a wire at the X-over, or as stated, a possibile freak job of both speaker wires coming loose.

Is there anyway that you could have pulled the speaker wire during opening a door? Or rolling down a window? In my Gf's car, the window frame slid down and would grab the speaker wires and pull them off.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i

System Currently:Speaker Amp|Phoenix Gold Xenon 100.2 Sub Amp| Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1 Deck| Pioneer DEH6800MP Frontstage| Alpine SPR-17LS "]Sub| Phoenix Gold Xenon 10"
    Refs from Buyers:
    Refs from sellers: Dre2390

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OCURIEL View Post
    Screwed down? Hmm..... Are the ends crimped on? Maybe the crimp came loose.
    YA i dunno exactly what its called but its like a little cylinder that screws up and u slip the bare wire in and then u screw the little cylinder back down tightly onto the bare wire.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frankensuby View Post
    Can't be amp, as your tweeters go through the same X-over.

Has to be a wire at the X-over, or as stated, a possibile freak job of both speaker wires coming loose.

Is there anyway that you could have pulled the speaker wire during opening a door? Or rolling down a window? In my Gf's car, the window frame slid down and would grab the speaker wires and pull them off.

Hmm that is a strong possibily because now that i think back... I first noticed that i was missing the midbass shortly after i rolled down my windows. That sounds like a legitamate reason for both speakers going out at the same time. Seems odd though that the windows would roll all the way down that close to the speaker. I have class all day tomorrow so im not sure if ill have time to take apart my doors but ill have plenty of time to do it thursday and let u guys know what i find. Cross ur fingers for me!!!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, if anyone is interested i found and fixed the problem. I took my doors off today and found that the negative wire had come loose on the drivers door and both + and - wires on the passengers door came off. Before i took the door panels off i put the window down to see how close it came to the speaker and sure enough it was very close, close enough to possibly rip the speaker wire from the terminals if it caught the wires just right, which is exactly what looked like happened because there were still bits and pieces of the actual wire still stuck in the terminals. I've got the wires running away from where the window comes down now and everything is back up and running sounding so nice again!

Closed Thread