Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Deadening about to begin...use XTC baffles?

phenryiv1 is offline Custom user title

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Deadening about to begin...use XTC baffles?

I am about to install my components in my doors, and want to protect them from dirt and water. I looked into using XTC baffles, and searched on here for more info. The general consesus is to cut a hole out of the bottom or back to allow the mids to operate in a more IB setup, as opposed to a small sealed enclosure.

I also read the sound deadening thread, which recommends using a deflex pad or egg crate foam behind the speaker to break up the wave that comes off of the back of the speaker (preventing a standing wave, I guess).

My question is this: If I use the baffles (to protect the speaker from water), will this also serve as a first layer of foam deadening to help break up the wave created behind the speaker? Does this mean that I don't need a deflex or egg carton pad behind the driver?

I ask this because I was going to use a teklite or ensolite pad on the whole outer doorskin, and I'd like to avoid the deflex or egg carton pad.

DejaWiz is offline Speaker Bee-otch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Deadening about to begin...use XTC baffles?

You'd be surprised at how resilient speakers are to weather phenomenon. Some people say go all out and protect against water, others say it's not mandatory. Me, I say do whatever you feel is comfortable and affordable.

As for speaker pads, check out the Second Skin Speaker Kit Door Pads. Comes with 2 pads, 2 sheets of 11" x 11" Damplifier, and some adhesive for $25. Killer deal. www.secondskinaudio.com

2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

Setting Amp Gains:
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/Den_of_Dragons/topic/508709/1/

References
    Bought from: jacobcopeland87, 95bat, alxmlr789, na_rsx

Dawson is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

^^^ why do that when you can get 2 Sq Ft of edead V1^2 for $2 and 2 sq ft of edead v4 for $4???? that'd equal about $10-$12 after shipping

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

^^ 'cause eD is the devil, mama!

2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

Setting Amp Gains:

References

phenryiv1 is offline Custom user title

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

I just keep getting mixed reviews on the longevity of the adhesive of the eDead.

I want to use about 2-3 yards of a foam barrier and about 30-35 sq feet of a mass deadener. (On top of this, I have about 40-45 sq feet of base eDead V1 and B-quiet that I can install, but I don't reall fully trust either one for use in doors.)

eDead is cheaper than RAAMmat or Second Skin, and the foam is 1/4" v 1/8" (and it is pre-adhesived), but the deadener (eDeadV1SE2) is getting mixed reviews. I am waiting on a quote for ensolite and BXT from Rick. Second Skin is highly erecommended, but unless there is hidden forum pricing, it is a LOT more costly than either other option.

The deflex pads are a good option, but from what I read, using the 1/4" closed cell foam (like teklite) is almost the same thing, under normal operating conditions. Even the 1/8" ensolite is similar in results.

I may pass on the XTC baffles altogether and devote that $ to more deadening. My frustration is that I am likely only keeping the car for about another year, and deadening is the one part of audio that you CAN'T take with you...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

RAAMmat would be another excellent choice.

2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

Setting Amp Gains:

References

beckSHO is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DejaWiz View Post
    RAAMmat would be another excellent choice.
    Agreed.

I used some on my bro's car as well as my own. It is rather easy to work with, and is fairly affordable. The RAAMmat was easy to cut, lay-down, and didn't smell. Performance of the RAAMmat is very good. Before my brother bought it, he had a lot of rattles in his trunk. With only about 30 sq. ft in his trunk, not even a full layer, he has next to no rattles.

As for mine, I haven't recieved my sub yet. Howerver, I have a fairly loud exhaust; a V8 exhaling through a pair of Flowmaster original 40 series. It sounds good I might add. Before I laid down the RAAMmat, the exhaust was rather loud inside the cabin. Having put a layer in my trunk, the exhaust is hardly noticeable from inside. All I hear is a deep but faint burble at idle. Only until I get up to 3400rpms, when the secoundaries open, do I hear the exhaust.

In my opinion; a very good product, exceptional customer service, and a good deal.

The only con I've found so far: possibly having to spend more money on my exhaust....

Beck

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    Head Unit: Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    Mids: Seas ER18RNX's
    Highs: LPG 25NFA's
    Mids & Highs Amp: Phoenix Gold x200.4
    Subs: Two Image Dynamics IDQ12V2's
    Sub Amp: Hifonics BXi 1206D

Closed Thread

User Tag List