Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

boston pro 6.5.3 questions... kinda long

just looking for a little info here... i've acquired a set for free. yay me only downside is they didn't come with the crossovers, but none of the speakers themselves have ever even seen power. i have 2 amps, a boston GT20 on a single boston G1 10" sub, and an oooooooolllllld ppi a404 amp. it might be from circa 1992, but still sounds like a million bucks (and it was also free) without the proper crossovers, i was trying them without the 4" midrange, crossing them over actively. problem is, the mids sound like absolute A$$ in the higher frequency range. i had assumed that the 6 1/2's were the same as in the pro 6.5 2 way comp set... but after hearing them, i don't think so :P the low end sounds awesome, as it should. but anything above about 400-500 hz just ain't right. tried adjusting amp gains, EQ'ing, crossover points, etc and it still don't sound right at all. so i am going to put the 4's in as well. what i was planning on doing was leaving the 6 1/2's alone, but moving the lowpass crossover point down to about 350-400hz range. they are running off the rear channels of the art amp. then i have a set of pro 4.5 crossovers, so running that basically as a 2 way set with the 4's and tweets off the front channels of the art amp, through the passive xover, and just highpassing the crap out of it at around 400hz or so. slopes to be determined. if i had my clarion 9255, i'd do the 4way setup all active, but the alpoine 9855 only allows front high, front mid, and sub. with the tweeter mode set up in pro mode, i can move the tweeter crossover point to whatever i want it at, or even full range if i really want... so that gives me some flexibility there. basically what i'm looking for is any info or suggestions as to what crossover points to use, and what slope if anyone has any experience with these. i know those 4's will go wicked low if you ask 'em to, but if i don't need it, why push it also, if anyone has any better ideas as how to execute this, i'd be happy to entertain any ideas. i'd just like to see how great i can make my little $300 stereo setup sound, and compared to my last car (the jetta, Z6's, 3 amps, and other fun stuff) i think with some tweaking and tuning, i can get it pretty **** close. i got some good equipment to work with, just lookin for any suggestions from anyone else that's done something similar before.

thanks

mysilver02alty is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Re: boston pro 6.5.3 questions... kinda long

Ever heard of paragraphs?

References: nismos14, Fast1one, , crazykaese, tweet02, ismelllikepoop, jonnybusa (2), go go thrash, jr2320, vitveet, Malic, alxmlr789

thefunkybunch is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yeah. i just choose not to use them. i'm not typing a business proposal here, or writing your term paper for you. thanks for the useful comment, that gave me all the answers i was looking for!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thefunkybunch View Post
    yeah. i just choose not to use them. i'm not typing a business proposal here, or writing your term paper for you. thanks for the useful comment, that gave me all the answers i was looking for!

Well, my point was this. It just looks like a big paragraph and when i see a big paragraph like that, i just click the back button and your question doesnt get answered. Its confusing to read. Even if i read it i wouldnt read the whole thing because its just annoying. Plus when you write like that people tend to run on and confuse the reader.

Plus, i was just joking, take it easy

References: nismos14, Fast1one, , crazykaese, tweet02, ismelllikepoop, jonnybusa (2), go go thrash, jr2320, vitveet, Malic, alxmlr789

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey, no worries man i've worked in this field for quite a while, back when these speakers were still a current model even, and older. i've just never installed a set of them without the included crossovers before, so i was sorta guesstimating on crossover points. i didn't want to just say 'has anyone crossed these over actively before'? because that gives no info for an educated answer. and honestly, i'm too lazy to type perfect english, drank a few too many beers, and it's gettin late :P

DARKHART is offline One Hitter Quitter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    136 Post(s)

I'm almost sure that the 6.5's are the same in the 3way and the 2way set but I'm not 100% though. I own the 6.5pros myself as well as a set of z6's both of which are excellent sets. I've also owned in the past that same A404, another great piece of equipment.
    If you are intent on running them active (which Boston strongly discourages) go over and talk to some of the guys on carsound.com, seems like I've read about a few guys over there that's done it with great results (lots and lots of tweeking)
    Also if you ever decide to get rid of that 3way set that you got for free(hint hint ) drop me a line......

Just when they though it couldn't get any worse, in came the Lord of Kaos, the Darkhart has arisen from his century long slumber..
    NJack2AF
    .............Jameseypoo
    Randyrsx ..........Bagdntagd
    M3Transporter......Teggybwoy
    RJ Sclafani...........Zeuslicious
    Saltyreefguy........Qkassidyw
    Qtrhorse..............Nismos14
    Pistonsfan70........4nine
    SlainNothing.........Orangelss
    M3@Apex............Louisiana_CRX
    SW9152..............DukeNut

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thefunkybunch View Post
    hey, no worries man i've worked in this field for quite a while, back when these speakers were still a current model even, and older. i've just never installed a set of them without the included crossovers before, so i was sorta guesstimating on crossover points. i didn't want to just say 'has anyone crossed these over actively before'? because that gives no info for an educated answer. and honestly, i'm too lazy to type perfect english, drank a few too many beers, and it's gettin late :P
    I'll do it for you, but you owe me one

Im just looking for a little info here... i've acquired a set for free. yay me only downside is they didn't come with the crossovers, but none of the speakers themselves have ever even seen power.

I have 2 amps, a boston GT20 on a single boston G1 10" sub, and an oooooooolllllld ppi a404 amp. it might be from circa 1992, but still sounds like a million bucks (and it was also free) without the proper crossovers, i was trying them without the 4" midrange, crossing them over actively. problem is, the mids sound like absolute A$$ in the higher frequency range. i had assumed that the 6 1/2's were the same as in the pro 6.5 2 way comp set... but after hearing them, i don't think so :P the low end sounds awesome, as it should. but anything above about 400-500 hz just ain't right.

I tried adjusting amp gains, EQ'ing, crossover points, etc and it still don't sound right at all. so i am going to put the 4's in as well. what i was planning on doing was leaving the 6 1/2's alone, but moving the lowpass crossover point down to about 350-400hz range. they are running off the rear channels of the art amp. then i have a set of pro 4.5 crossovers, so running that basically as a 2 way set with the 4's and tweets off the front channels of the art amp, through the passive xover, and just highpassing the crap out of it at around 400hz or so. slopes to be determined. if i had my clarion 9255, i'd do the 4way setup all active, but the alpoine 9855 only allows front high, front mid, and sub. with the tweeter mode set up in pro mode, i can move the tweeter crossover point to whatever i want it at, or even full range if i really want... so that gives me some flexibility there. basically what i'm looking for is any info or suggestions as to what crossover points to use, and what slope if anyone has any experience with these. i know those 4's will go wicked low if you ask 'em to, but if i don't need it, why push it also, if anyone has any better ideas as how to execute this, i'd be happy to entertain any ideas.

I'd just like to see how great i can make my little $300 stereo setup sound, and compared to my last car (the jetta, Z6's, 3 amps, and other fun stuff) i think with some tweaking and tuning, i can get it pretty **** close. i got some good equipment to work with, just lookin for any suggestions from anyone else that's done something similar before.

thanks

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DARKHART View Post
    I'm almost sure that the 6.5's are the same in the 3way and the 2way set but I'm not 100% though. I own the 6.5pros myself as well as a set of z6's both of which are excellent sets. I've also owned in the past that same A404, another great piece of equipment.
    If you are intent on running them active (which Boston strongly discourages) go over and talk to some of the guys on carsound.com, seems like I've read about a few guys over there that's done it with great results (lots and lots of tweeking)
    Also if you ever decide to get rid of that 3way set that you got for free(hint hint ) drop me a line......
    yes, i know boston strongly discourages ditching their crossovers and going active... however i never had the 3 way crossovers to begin with, and don't really feel like putting out THAT much effort to track down a pair of them. and i really don't have anything to lose here, not like i'm gonna be out any money if i kill 'em or something :P i have enough experience that i'm sure i won't damage anything getting everything dialed in.

i was under the same impression that the 6.5lf in the 2 way was the same as the 3 way, but the upper range the driver SHOULD be able to play quite well just doesn't sound right. i'm positive adding the 4's in will fix it, guess i just got a little work to do. **** i'll check out carsound.com and see if i can dig anything up. thanks

Closed Thread

User Tag List