Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Comps to run off my 880PRS? Rainbow, Alpine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Comps to run off my 880PRS? Rainbow, Alpine?

Hey guys. I just got a new Lancer Evolution and I'm looking to replace the speakers and add some bass, but I don't want to add the weight of a box and amps, etc. So, I'm looking for some good comps that I can run off of my 880prs. Would the Rainbow SLC's be too underpowered? A friend of mine had some Kicker RS's (I think they're RS's, they're the ones that come with the Kicker system in Dodge's) running of his 860 and they sounded very good. I'm probably going to put some JL Audio 6W0's in the rear deck instead of a box. My goal is to have it sound as good or better than some of the higher end stock stereo systems. My other thoughts right now are Alpine Type S's. Also, I'd like something with a reasonable mounting depth so I don't have to modify the car too much or get into custom spacers or any of that. Simple, simple simple. I'd appreciate any opinions. Thanks!

Trey803 is offline GAMECOCKS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Comps to run off my 880PRS? Rainbow, Alpine?

Dont buy components if your not going to amp them.....buy coaxials

HU: DEH-80PRS
    Doors Deadened
    Front Stage: Rainbow SLC 265
    Front Stage Amp: Image Dynamics i2600
    Sub: Dayton RSS210HF-4 8"
    Sub Amp: Image Dynamics i2300
    Wire: Knu

SuperBlack350z is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Out of the question. I've heard components sound fine off of good deck power, and I've never been satisfied with coaxials.

ctmike is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trey803 View Post
    Dont buy components if your not going to amp them.....buy coaxials

x2 without an amp you wont be getting the full potential out of a comp. set. coax.s sound alot better ran from a hu than comp.s' your best bet since you don't want a sub is a nice comp. set and 6 1/5's in the rear and a small 4 channel amp. you should look into the blowout sale on cdt's at www. premier-audio.com.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just thought about this . . . I think the best thing to do would be a 4 channel, two channels on the comps and then the other two to run the subs, again, preferably two 6" subs. This I think would add a lot more flexibility to what I want to do, I just don't know if that would be enough to power the subs. I posted more in detail regarding the subs in the Subwoofers section, but bottom line I'm probably going to run the subs infinite baffle, although at this point I don't really know much about doing that. So, ponder that. Thanks!

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z View Post
    Hey guys. I just got a new Lancer Evolution and I'm looking to replace the speakers and add some bass, but I don't want to add the weight of a box and amps, etc. So, I'm looking for some good comps that I can run off of my 880prs. Would the Rainbow SLC's be too underpowered? A friend of mine had some Kicker RS's (I think they're RS's, they're the ones that come with the Kicker system in Dodge's) running of his 860 and they sounded very good. I'm probably going to put some JL Audio 6W0's in the rear deck instead of a box. My goal is to have it sound as good or better than some of the higher end stock stereo systems. My other thoughts right now are Alpine Type S's. Also, I'd like something with a reasonable mounting depth so I don't have to modify the car too much or get into custom spacers or any of that. Simple, simple simple. I'd appreciate any opinions. Thanks!
    If you get components where do you plan on putting the tweeters? Does you car have stock openings? I ran a set of JL VR's off a hu for a while, they did well overall. The midbass output was a bit lacking, but overall they werent' too bad. I've only heard the type S's once, so I can't comment on those.

For the people who are telling you to get coax's, I'd suggest not listening. Unless your turning the music up fairly loud, you won't hear a huge difference amped or not. However, you WILL hear the difference between having a cheap speaker on low power vs a nicer one. Components will do fine on hu power, is it ideal, no, but it's not ideal for coax's either.

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z View Post
    I just thought about this . . . I think the best thing to do would be a 4 channel, two channels on the comps and then the other two to run the subs, again, preferably two 6" subs. This I think would add a lot more flexibility to what I want to do, I just don't know if that would be enough to power the subs. I posted more in detail regarding the subs in the Subwoofers section, but bottom line I'm probably going to run the subs infinite baffle, although at this point I don't really know much about doing that. So, ponder that. Thanks!
    IB's not too hard. I'm not sure how much weight you'd save though. You'll still have to use MDF to reinforce the back of the rear deck, most likely.

Calikid is offline Stack That Paper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

go with rainbow plus adequate amp.

bdawson72 is offline Finally Has Bass Again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rainbow SLC's and a decent amp is what i would suggest

149@32 hz(headrest)......Dammit i needs to be louder

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's got tweeters in the A-pillars. After doing a little research, I thinking of this setup:

JL Audio 300/4
    Rainbow SLC 265
    2 JL Audio 6w0

Would this stand up to something like a Mach system in the Mustangs or some of the Bose systems? I've never been a fan of Bose, and I know most stuff is a totally different sound, but I think you know what I'm getting at.

Calikid is offline Stack That Paper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it will sound much better than youre stock system thats for sure , just make sure you get the appropriate imaging to make the best sound.

WLDock is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK, another "I don't want to add too much weight" question...

So do you plan to race your $30K+ pocket rocket? You plan to strip it? I really don't understand the concern I see around the net dealing with the adding weight issue for a streetcar. I have seen this question asked several times. I say:

If you are serious about sound them put a serious sound system in it!
    If you are serious about racing then make it a serious racecar!
    If you want to do both, be creative!

Why not install a nice basic SQ system that uses quick release harnesses/connectors/bolts/etc. This will allow you to pull the amps and subs on race day very quickly...Besides, if you are that serious about racing you will be tuning the car before the race anyway, right?

I see no reason that you should not be able to install a set of components, a five channel amp, and a single 10" or 12" How much weight is that? Mitsubishi even offers an upgraded system with a trunk-mounted sub.

Just buy a bolt-on HP mod and that will make up for the extra pounds?

Here is a nice but simple system that will allow you to take advantage of the 880PRS in the 3-way FULL ACTIVE network mode and should have great SQ:

Amp - ECLIPSE XA5000 5 channel - www.ebay.com

Mids - DAYTON AUDIO RS180 (Looks like you have 3 inches of depth and a large opening.Was told that most 6.5 inchers need an adapter. The Dayton’s have a 7" frame and with a 3" depth so you should be right there with a little caulk spacer. If you have not heard about the Dayton’s, they are very nice mids. Do a search) - http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-374

Tweeters - ALPINE XT19 - These are VERY nice VIFA based tweeters from the ALPINE SPX-177R comp set and are very small and should fit behind the stock A-pillar grills. Also, these play low(2kHz) which allows them to mate up with the Dayton mids that can only play up to about that point. Can buy them from PacParts for very cheap.
    http://www.pacparts.com/model.cfm?CF...tion=list_part

Sub - DAYTON AUDIO REFERENCE SERIES HO 10"
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-462
    Review: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ead.php?t=1953
    OR
    ELEMENTAL DESIGNS 110v.2 (Dual 4Ohm)10"
    http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=34
    Can get one for $120($55 off!) if you join their forum at www.icixsound.com then shop from here: http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/adv...keywords=forum
    Both of these subs will run in a small box(~.5 cu ft)

Deck power is alright for very modest power to the front but won't do a whole lot for the rear 6.5" subs....But why stop there with a great all in one deck like the 880? Will get much more detail and impact with just a single 5 ch and a small 10" sub. And you can remove it on race day!

If you insist on using the deck for subs, at least get an amp for the system. And use the eD 7Kv.2 subs instead, much more capable:
    http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=33
    Last edited by WLDock; 01-02-2007 at 11:32 AM.

Chevyaudio is offline :poof:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Really...Unless this is a dedicated race car. The weight added from a decent stereo wont matter. Even if you had 100 pounds of equipment in the back...I doubt you would even feel the difference in a daily driver.

headless is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just put a small amp in there and use some rainbows. An amp does not weigh that much

Eclipse CD7000 - RioCar Empeg 3
    Rainbow Powerline CS 275.27 / Arc Audio 4150 XXK (Woofers) - Arc Audio 2100 XXK (Tweeters)
    Rainbow Vanadium 12 x2 / Arc Audio 1500 XXK
    Quote Originally Posted by TEAM HAMMER
    Your so full of Crap! The last place you want a Midbass or Sub is in front of you Retard Whens the last time you seen a 12in+ sub up front?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdawson72
    Technically, bigger wire has more resistance.

Closed Thread