Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Rainbow 265 SLC Kick vs. CDT ES-610 or 620

bustu19 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rainbow 265 SLC Kick vs. CDT ES-610 or 620

Hey all, I've been lurking for a while now and have finally narrowed down my choices of front comps to the Rainbow SLC 265 SLC Kicks vs. the CDT ES-610 or ES-620 with the deal the have over at woofersetc. Any experts out there with opinions? I PM'd 6spdcoupe earlier this morning for pricing on the Rainbows but haven't heard back, I'm sure I'll hear from him tomorrow.

Anyway, they would be going in a 2003 M3, which has an AFE intake, Super Sprint X and S pipes and Eisenman exhuast so it is fairly loud in the car. On top of that, I'm 31 years old and my ears have taken a beating after 15 years of listening to music at damaging levels. I guess when your 17 the coolness of pounding 2 15's all day is more important than your hearing, hahaha.

So what I'm looking for is a set of components with excellent midbass since I can FEEL them, I'm no longer able to tell the suttle differences between the various high end speakers so for me spending $1000 on comps would be a waste given my hearing and loud car.

I'll deaden the doors of course but they will go in the stock locations. The comps will be powered with between 150-200 watts per channel (still undecided on the amp). I'm looking to spend about $300 for the comps

This is the system I'm planning:

Source:
    Stock deck with an Alpine PXE-H650

Front Comps:
    Rainbow 265 SLC Kicks
    or
    CDT ES-610

Rear:
    None

Subs:
    Either a Brahma 12 sealed or Alpine PLV-7 (carauido mag tested it at 134.4 dB this month)

Amps:
    Alpine PDX 1.1000
    Alpine PDX 2.150
    or
    eD NINe.1
    eD NINe.2X

Any advice would be appriciated. I'm looking order everything by the end of the week. Thanks!

AcidicDreams is offline I don't need one of these

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Rainbow 265 SLC Kick vs. CDT ES-610 or 620

I'm not exactly an EXPERT (no side by side comparisons) but I was very disappointed in CDTs.... I imagine the SLC's will be better but I'm sure there is someone here who has run both...

Driving a 2003 Lexus GS430 and a 1996 Lexus LS400
    GS430 - Massive RK Tweets/Crossovers + Phass MW650 NEO Mids, JBL GTO 755.6 amp, IDQ12v2 in 1cu ft sealed substage

Refs: CA.com - excelerater, fosgate140, 99StangGt, desertheat, Frito, digital mint, dkguitarist, BoominBeast (didn't scam me), Fast1one, shiipseki, newtitan, Scoobydoo, spudracer326, sr_se-r, redlinese-r, James Bang, tweet02, effenay, and Mike Dressure ::: ECA - BBOYSTEVIE, Need-SQ ::: DIYMA - macxx, Kuztimrodder (very happy), and azngotskills

Hintzyboy is offline Sparks mean its working!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the ES's are avery nice set. The SLCs are Rainbow's "entry" line, so I think the ES's would be better, but I can't say for sure. Whatever you get, make sure you deaden your car well, and it will make the car quieter inside, as well as greatly improve the performance of your speakers.

Refs:
    CarAudio.com: SlickRick, CubanAffection, trevor87, BigBirney420, Apollyon, Dinty01, TeamPSI, QtrHorse (x2), 6spdcoupe, Siddle, Smokingachicken, MisterGrubbs, Fast1One, MiniVanMan(x2), Jntar, blackbonnie, tigerf117, kasimo420, blaze383, XaznKewLguyX, SRim23, RidnClean, Team H&K, djvi0lent, jeeper07, turboaudi
    DIYMA: snaimpally
    CA.com Feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327860
    Ebay Feedback http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=hintzyboy79

angrytrucker78 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I own the SLC's and am very impressed with them. You can't really go wrong with a so called "entry level" comp set.

refs:showrides, ownage9, cellerbr, IamDeMan, phatcat600, swangandbang, baseballer1100, expo5.0, trevor87, lilmaniac2, master467, FLOSSINON24S, rpfuror, jaco, hemiscott, enzowho, Bumpin97Jeep, pinkyota, kizzo, ruger, NoLimit, RumbleNTheTrunk
    ebay:reerganes

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hintzyboy View Post
    the ES's are avery nice set. The SLCs are Rainbow's "entry" line, so I think the ES's would be better, but I can't say for sure. Whatever you get, make sure you deaden your car well, and it will make the car quieter inside, as well as greatly improve the performance of your speakers.
    Either way install is the most important element of getting good mid-bass response. You need to factor in the cost of some deadning, especially for the doors. Go to www.secondskin.com and get a door kit (20-30 sq ft) of damplifier and deaden the doors. A good guide located somewhere is called "proper something deadning and you".... Follow the guide and you'll get decent mid-bass response out of either set.

Also the SLC's are supposedly a very nice deal, I'd put Rainbow's up against anything CDT makes but I haven't heard the rainbows. I'm just going off the rave reviews they get and the fact that they aren't a forum boner, they've been around for awhile and interest hasn't dropped off...

GS430 - Massive RK Tweets/Crossovers + Phass MW650 NEO Mids, JBL GTO 755.6 amp, IDQ12v2 in 1cu ft sealed substage

Refs: CA.com - excelerater, fosgate140, 99StangGt, desertheat, Frito, digital mint, dkguitarist, BoominBeast (didn't scam me), Fast1one, shiipseki, newtitan, Scoobydoo, spudracer326, sr_se-r, redlinese-r, James Bang, tweet02, effenay, and Mike Dressure ::: ECA - BBOYSTEVIE, Need-SQ ::: DIYMA - macxx, Kuztimrodder (very happy), and azngotskills

acold7dusta is offline y they stealin my bucket?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

acctually the KX are the entry level. i love my SLC's and will be keeping them for a long time

01 Acura CL

Eclipse CD3200
    Rainbow SLC 265 Active
    Sundown: SAX-50.4D
    ..............SAE-1000D
    Diamond D6 10" d2 sub
    ...........-.80 cu. ft FG sealed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The SLCs are definitely nice speakers. They put many companies' top-line speakers to shame. But I still think they would be bested by the ES's.

Refs:
    CarAudio.com: SlickRick, CubanAffection, trevor87, BigBirney420, Apollyon, Dinty01, TeamPSI, QtrHorse (x2), 6spdcoupe, Siddle, Smokingachicken, MisterGrubbs, Fast1One, MiniVanMan(x2), Jntar, blackbonnie, tigerf117, kasimo420, blaze383, XaznKewLguyX, SRim23, RidnClean, Team H&K, djvi0lent, jeeper07, turboaudi
    Ebay Feedback http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=hintzyboy79

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On your amp and sub choices....

I'd rethink those... the Alpines and ED's are decent amps but I'd look around for a deal. I snagged a Zapco reference 100x2 for $125 shipped awhile back. For the sub amp look for something with a little headroom, but it doesn't need to be a top flight amp.

For the Sub choices the brahma is a good choice, as is the Alpine. I'd widen your search though. Image Dynamics has always impressed me on SQ (had IDW's now have IDQ) and TC Sounds had really nice output (TC2+)... if you are going for SQ and have a sedan I'd suggest an IB install. You get better low end extension, quicker bass response but lower power handling and output. ID's IDQ and IDMAX's are both good IB subs....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK, the SLX is the entry-level component line, the KXs are coaxs. So the SLCs are a step above entry-level. However, Rainbow offers several lines above the SLC. The ES's are pretty high up in CDT's line-up. I think the CDT Golds are the only ones above the ES's.

Refs:

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I starting to suffer from "paralysis by analysis" hahaha. So what set do you think would have more mid-bass kick everything else being equal.

bigmac16 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i own both rainbow profi's and cdt 07's.Don't know about the slc's, I like both speakers but personally prefer the rainbow's. Might look into adding an 8" sub, not too loud but adds a lttle kick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Profis are a whole different animal. I'd take them over the CDTs any day.

Refs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bustu19 View Post
    I starting to suffer from "paralysis by analysis" hahaha. So what set do you think would have more mid-bass kick everything else being equal.
    just do a proper install, which ever you choose... I think you'd like the Rainbows better but I'm biased against the CDT's... I didn't like mine...

alteraudiousa is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would go for the HD line over the ES line. HD has more midbass, ES has a smoother midrange.

Authorized CDT dealer

Newest Setup
    Eclipse 8454
    Coustic XM6
    Concept CC-D1200
    (2) Monitor 1 MK2.70
    CDT M6 with drt-26 braxial mounted
    Hybrid Audio Legatia L3
    Stereo Integrity Mag 15

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

6spcoupe PM'd me back and suggested the CMX line might be a slightly better fit for what I was looking for. I do like the idea of the metal cone for a little sharper impact so I'm hoping the price comes in at somthing I don't wince at. Have any of you heard the CMX Kicks?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast