Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Arc Audio Speakers

dinty01 is offline 160 deeeBeeeeess

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Arc Audio Speakers

Ok so I bought a set of arc audio kar series 5.25" components off of ebay, I finally had a nice day to install them and once I got them in and got them wired up, I turned my truck on and had some music playing and tuned them up a bit(I do need to go through the section on tuning your amp though, probably tomorrow), anyways I got it sounding good, and so I went to the state store to get some wine for dinner tomorrow night(makin dinner for the family) anyways, I needed to turn it up a bit and they started to stink, like they were maybe burning a bit? So I turned them down and drove with the windows down, on the way home same thing. I let the truck sit for a few hours and when I went out alittle bit ago they didnt really stink, any ideas what would cause this? they are being run by an arc audio 4150 xxk, i set up the crossover, nothing new there but not sure if I got a bad set of speakers or what? any help would be appreciated, TIA----Dinty

P.s. sorry to make that so long.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
    A good fiberglass enclosure is like a good woman; it will be a work of art, possess luscious curves, and take up every waking minute of your day leaving you tired, itchy, and in pain.
    refs:
    ebay-dinty01(100% positive feedback, SquareTrade Certified, Paypal & Ebay Verified)
    CA.com:
    Bought From: akkord, streetwarrior, saj21187, bdubs767, QtrHorse, eatank
    Sold To: Hintzyboy, ssbogger, cd6551, keifersracing, ID Myke, adas

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Arc Audio Speakers

Could be one of two things;

1) A little bit of excess glue on the voice coil burning off if they were brand new. Nothing to concern yourself with.

2) You were thermally overdriving the speakers/clipping the amp and melting glue that shouldn't be burning off. This one you should worry about.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i think it may be option #1, their meant to run at 4 ohms and at 4 ohms this amp is supossed to put out 80 watts x 4, it may be alittle higher than that but the website also says the speakers can handle 50 watts normal power and 100 watts max power, is this too much maybe? I mean Im not beating the crap out of them and they do sound good but not quite as good as I thought they would of. Ive installed many sets of speakers and also amps before but I hadnt encountered this problem with any of arc's speakers before, hopefully its option #1

A good fiberglass enclosure is like a good woman; it will be a work of art, possess luscious curves, and take up every waking minute of your day leaving you tired, itchy, and in pain.
    refs:
    ebay-dinty01(100% positive feedback, SquareTrade Certified, Paypal & Ebay Verified)
    CA.com:

ultimate157 is offline Engineering Student

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if your amp is pushing more than 80w rms then, yes, you could possibly be causing thermal damage; Especially if you have not set your amp up correctly and have the gain up too high.

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Source: Pioneer 880 PRS *Active
    Tweeters: 1" CDT TW-25
    Midrange: 6.5" CDT CL-65
    Sub: 15" SSA Icon
    Box: 4.0 @ 32hz
    Amp: Soundstream Tarantula 2kW

Feedback thread

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well, i have the gain down as low as it will go since I wasnt sure where to go with it, and the music wasnt all that loud, Im gonna go work on it now and see how it sounds/smells

refs:
    CA.com:

Closed Thread