Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Active 2-way help

NCHEVYHEVN is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Active 2-way help

Ok I've been searching for days on here and I've learned a ton but I still need help with picking out an active 2-way setup. I'm not really concerned with imaging a ton. I'm more about getting loud.

I plan on getting a new amp so I figured I would plan out my speakers before I went and bought an amp. Also I really need to pick up a new headunit because well it's just time to update so I was going to get the Pioneer-880prs so I could have my x-over all in one.

I want to run a 7'' mid but not Dayton cause I'm looking to crossover at something like 2.5k or 2.6k. My budget is I'd like to stay under 200 bucks for the speakers.

Chris-01 GMC Sonoma
    Headunit-Pioneer DEH-P6000UB
    Front Stage-Dayton Classic 6.5 and Audax 1'' tweeters
    Comp. Amp-NINe.2
    Subs-12" BTL Fully Loaded
    Sub Amp-2 NINe.1's strapped
    Box-2.5 cu. ft. ported at 32Hz
    RAAMat deadner

j3bus2k3 is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Active 2-way help

AA 6.5" Poly would probably suit you well...as far as tweets, can you fit a large format tweeter? Look into Dayton, Seas, LPG for some great tweets.

www.partsexpress.com
    www.madisound.com

Heres a good comparo of some popular tweets: https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...6&page=1&pp=10

AIM: SPL Performance1
    /////Alpine 9835
    Active Processing via Coustic XM7
    Dayton 7" Mid-woofer with Seas Neo Tweet
    JBL/Crown 1100 & Power 300.4
    12" TC3000 Based Custom in 2.25ft^3 at 32hz

Wallet say But I say

References:Moe Lester, PV Audio, sss18734, DJ-Torn, dleccord, jiggy2dmax, Negativezeroz, Bama350z, TeamPSI, dB Dom, Kenny Pollock, Flossinon24s, Patfitz9 (x2), AppleBonker, BassAddictJ, the727kid, skadude016, CaliKid, Thumper88, Djman37, TeamQuakeCelica, Cerob, Pimpedout97x, Troy_Audi0, got_focus?, Karleon, Jamaica2G, rtillare, dumple, JohnnyBusa, mattmcss, whitem1ke88, nineball

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

Do you think those AA 6.5 would have some decent midbass with them also?

I listen to country, rock, and rap so I tend to listen to music pretty loud and I want something to keep up with my 18'' Q.

Chris-01 GMC Sonoma
    Comp. Amp-NINe.2
    RAAMat deadner

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

haha, I'm bored so I tend to reply quickly

I havnt heard a set yet so I cant really comment about how they sound. I've heard good reviews countless times but they come mixed with stories of tinsel slap. I'll probably pick up a set of the AA's for the EXACT same reason as you. The tweeter I want to use is recommended to be crossed at 2.5 and at that point, the daytons response graph is a squirrely as a cat on lsd...

/////Alpine 9835

Wallet say But I say

References:Moe Lester, PV Audio, sss18734, DJ-Torn, dleccord, jiggy2dmax, Negativezeroz, Bama350z, TeamPSI, dB Dom, Kenny Pollock, Flossinon24s, Patfitz9 (x2), AppleBonker, BassAddictJ, the727kid, skadude016, CaliKid, Thumper88, Djman37, TeamQuakeCelica, Cerob, Pimpedout97x, Troy_Audi0, got_focus?, Karleon, Jamaica2G, rtillare, dumple, JohnnyBusa, mattmcss, whitem1ke88, nineball

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yea, I've been reading that also about the tensil slap. What does that mean and what would it sound like if it happened?

Chris-01 GMC Sonoma
    Comp. Amp-NINe.2
    RAAMat deadner

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It means that when that the tinsel connecting to the spider isnt long enough and when the cone is moving, its hitting the tinsel lead...at least I think. I've never had to deal with it so I dont know what it sounds like...

/////Alpine 9835

Wallet say But I say

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

I'm running 2 pair of the AA poly mids and NO tinsel slap. They put out a very nice sound and lots of midbass. I listen to a lot of 80's rock and drums sound amazing.

The xt25 tweet AA sells will match up perfectly. Give Chad at AA a call he's a great guy to deal with.

///M5 is offline Big Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NCHEVYHEVN View Post
    Ok I've been searching for days on here and I've learned a ton but I still need help with picking out an active 2-way setup. I'm not really concerned with imaging a ton. I'm more about getting loud.

I plan on getting a new amp so I figured I would plan out my speakers before I went and bought an amp. Also I really need to pick up a new headunit because well it's just time to update so I was going to get the Pioneer-880prs so I could have my x-over all in one.

I want to run a 7'' mid but not Dayton cause I'm looking to crossover at something like 2.5k or 2.6k. My budget is I'd like to stay under 200 bucks for the speakers.
    Why the 2.5k crossover point? If you only want loud and don't care about anything else at all, you aren't going to be able to beat horns for your tweeters and if you choose the horns right you could surely use a larger 8" driver for a mid and get serious lows as well. With the right eq you could make that stage and be loud, but without the eq it will be louder than any normal tweeter mid combo you pick out.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ///M5 View Post
    Why the 2.5k crossover point? If you only want loud and don't care about anything else at all, you aren't going to be able to beat horns for your tweeters and if you choose the horns right you could surely use a larger 8" driver for a mid and get serious lows as well. With the right eq you could make that stage and be loud, but without the eq it will be louder than any normal tweeter mid combo you pick out.
    Hmm not sure why I choose the 2.5k crossover point. I though it was just a common crossover point for a 2-way. What do you suggest?

Also are the horns and 8'' drivers going to be under my $200 budget? Also I'd really like to stick with a 6.5 or 7'' driver because of mounting depth and I'm not looking to do a ton of fabrication to fit a driver. I think with a 7'' driver it will be somewhat easier to fit under my factory grill and not hit my window track.

Chris-01 GMC Sonoma
    Comp. Amp-NINe.2
    RAAMat deadner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only if you are really crafty. I'd pick the drivers to complement each other at where they would like to be crossed. For instance if you went with the Seas CA18rnx you could choose a tweeter that only played down to 3500hz with no problem, if you used the W18E's though you better pick a tweeter that plays down to 1300hz or lower. Since you want loud, you now either have to weigh what you mean by loud on the highs/midrange/midbass. You could have all three, but everything is a little bit of a compromise. If it were me and I was going to mix something with an 18", I'd want some serious midbass first and then work from there. Drivers such as the Adire Extremis, Seas CA18rnx, Seas L18 could all fit in your budget but you are not going to have a lot left for tweeters if you go the route of the Extremis which for a 7" will have the most midbass out of anything you can afford in your budget. If you go that route you will need to buy a temporary tweeter that is rather cheap. With the CA's you'd have plenty of budget for your crossover parts and tweeters.

* I made the assumption you can put together a crossover since you are using a Dayton mid and Audax tweet currently.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only if you are really crafty. I'd pick the drivers to complement each other at where they would like to be crossed. For instance if you went with the Seas CA18rnx you could choose a tweeter that only played down to 3500hz with no problem, if you used the W18E's though you better pick a tweeter that plays down to 1300hz or lower. Since you want loud, you now either have to weigh what you mean by loud on the highs/midrange/midbass. You could have all three, but everything is a little bit of a compromise. If it were me and I was going to mix something with an 18", I'd want some serious midbass first and then work from there. Drivers such as the Adire Extremis, Seas CA18rnx, Seas L18 could all fit in your budget but you are not going to have a lot left for tweeters if you go the route of the Extremis which for a 7" will have the most midbass out of anything you can afford in your budget. If you go that route you will need to buy a temporary tweeter that is rather cheap. With the CA's you'd have plenty of budget for your crossover parts and tweeters.

* I made the assumption you can put together a crossover since you are using a Dayton mid and Audax tweet currently.
    Well I plan on picking up a pioneer 880prs so that already has a built in crossover and plus I didn't plan on running pasive. The passive crossovers I have now were just generic dayton ones that I picked up from partsexpress.

But hmm now you got me thinking. I kinda want everything as far as midbass/midrange/highs. I was really just looking for a set that could cover each area and not really shine over each one.

I guess I'll just have to keep searching on here since their are just so many options.

Say I did choose one of the 3 driver's you listed than what would you suggest for a tweeter to go along with them? One from Seas?

Chris-01 GMC Sonoma
    Comp. Amp-NINe.2
    RAAMat deadner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Each driver would benefit from a different tweeter. It all depends on budget and what compromises you make. If it were me, and I had your desires (or what I think they are) I'd buy the Extremis and a cheap tweeter with my budget and upgrade the tweeter later on.

Edit: I didn't mean to make it sound like there would be one tweeter for each driver, it would be a variety depending on what sort of sound you prefer. There are other midranges you could use as well.

springy101 is offline village idiot/racist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j3bus2k3 View Post
    It means that when that the tinsel connecting to the spider isnt long enough and when the cone is moving, its hitting the tinsel lead...at least I think. I've never had to deal with it so I dont know what it sounds like...
    actually its the opposite, the tinsel is too long so the cone hits the slack that is hanging there. its is easly fixed with a dot of glue on the outside of the basket/spider though.

I must follow in eugenics' footsteps, for he is great

Ref's: Ebay

VOA_NIGHTMARE, Blados, frankga2, allenzo, bamaboy x2, Crown_amps, violentrapture, adio x3, bumpin_blazer, fi car audio, haunther, sbcaprice305 x2

springy101 is offline village idiot/racist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j3bus2k3 View Post
    actually its the opposite, the tinsel is too long so the cone hits the slack that is hanging there. its is easly fixed with a dot of glue on the outside of the basket/spider though.

I must follow in eugenics' footsteps, for he is great

Ref's: Ebay

VOA_NIGHTMARE, Blados, frankga2, allenzo, bamaboy x2, Crown_amps, violentrapture, adio x3, bumpin_blazer, fi car audio, haunther, sbcaprice305 x2

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Each driver would benefit from a different tweeter. It all depends on budget and what compromises you make. If it were me, and I had your desires (or what I think they are) I'd buy the Extremis and a cheap tweeter with my budget and upgrade the tweeter later on.

Edit: I didn't mean to make it sound like there would be one tweeter for each driver, it would be a variety depending on what sort of sound you prefer. There are other midranges you could use as well.
    Well thanks for your help so far. What tweeter would you suggest for the Extremis? And I'm talking about a good tweeter and not something I would upgrade later.

Chris-01 GMC Sonoma
    Comp. Amp-NINe.2
    RAAMat deadner

Closed Thread