Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: help me out please

nebraskaz71 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

help me out please

Hey I know this crap gets asked all the time but I can't help it. I have a 98 gmc sierra and I listen to primarily rock/alternative stuff with very little rap. I currently have 2 10" ID subs on a jbl 600 sealed. Up front I have cdt 61a on a crystal CAM 200.2 amp. It sounds good but the cdts seem a lil dull or something to me. I'm told that amp does 125x2 at 4ohm which is what its at now or it can do 200x2 at 2ohm. Could I get another set of components wired into the same amp to make a 2ohm load and almost double the power from it for a second set of speakers. Also is combining different brands of components bad? I was thinking about getting the crystal sscs put in my doors and moving the cdts to the kicks or vice versa so that I have two sets of speakers up front. Maybe that would fill my rock needs? thanks in advance

BTW I **** with audio stuff so dumb down your replies for lol
    Last edited by nebraskaz71; 12-06-2006 at 03:52 PM.

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: help me out please

Gonna be a pain in the butt to get to sound decent with all those drivers my man . What exactly is lacking in your current setup ? What do you mean by dull ?

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Rich B is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Just add a small amp to drive your tweeters, freeing up your present amp to drive just the mids.

Probably 40w to 60w would be enough.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its hard to explain but it just doesn't seem really loud and clear. I mean its sounds decent but I have higher hopes. I can't feel the music in my chest at all. Now I know differ sub/box setup would help with that but I honestly think that the stock bose speakers in my tahoe are louder then these cdts. I have the gain about 1/4-1/2 up and I believe its set at 80hz

Notwerk is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't see how power is going to affect this at all. He has more than enough power for any speaker. No, you don't need another amp. And adding more speakers is only going to complicate things and introduce new issues.

If it sounds dull, amplifying a dull sound isn't going to make things any less dull. I'd take a good look at equalization and crossover points. Set the EQ flat for now and see how it sounds. Compare it against a setup you think sounds good. See if you can EQ it to sound like that.

I'm assuming you're using passives on the components, so check where you have them crossed over with the sub. If they're crossed over too high, that might be making them sound dull.

If all of that is OK, I'd say maybe CDTs aren't for you. Try listening to some different speakers and get an idea of what you like. If those are CDT silks, I'll wager you'd probably be happier with something that has a hard dome or more aggressive mid. Swapping out to the Crystal SSCS for your front stage might be the fix, but first, see if it's something in your tuning and setup. And don't run CDT and Crystals. One or the other. You don't need two sets of components up front.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its just the standard tweets nothing was upgraded. Got them from thezeb.com a yr or so ago. I'll try adjusting more but it never seems to make a big difference. I'm not real good with tuning but either way so far I havn't got it the way I would expect.

Instead of two sets of speakers if adjusting doesn't work maybe I could sell these and go to something in the $250-325 on the same amp. I would of liked some image dynamic chameleons 6.5s 2ohm with my 200watts per side but man you can't find them for under 500 aynmore Biggest problem is there are basically no shops around here to listen to decent stuff and I dont know people locally to listen too.

Notwerk is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, it can be tough to find places to do some listening, I know. But you'd be surprised, sometimes. Try dropping a line to some big brands, like:

Focal
    MB Quart
    JL Audio
    Boston Acoustics
    Polk
    Alpine
    Kicker (particularly the SS components)

And see if they have someone that can help you out. If you hear Focals and love them, then I know that what you're looking for a is hard-dome, something bright. If you like the Kickers, then you probably prefer something more mellow. You kind of have to define your taste for speakers. See, CDT is known for being mellow and not terribly detailed (some will argue this). It may be that Focal or MB Quart are more your cup of tea.

If we know what you like, then we can direct you to some other options without flying completely blind.

springy101 is offline village idiot/racist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

try to hear some rainbow components, i have the slc265's and they sound great. i bought em used paired with an 80w x2 amp for $160 from a forum member and couldnt be happier.

I must follow in eugenics' footsteps, for he is great

Ref's: Ebay

VOA_NIGHTMARE, Blados, frankga2, allenzo, bamaboy x2, Crown_amps, violentrapture, adio x3, bumpin_blazer, fi car audio, haunther, sbcaprice305 x2

Torgus is offline Maxima.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok feeling it in your chest is from SUBWOOFERS. there is no component set that you will EVER feel in your chest. they arn't made to do that. make your ears bleed yes. thumping in your chest no.

my CDTs are very bright and clear....

is your gain set correctly or did you half *** it?
    tweeters positioned correctly?
    doors deadened?

if you want REALLy bright get a metal tweeter sound buy some titanium tweets from CDT. silk are for SQ and better at imaging. metal tweeters make bright harsh annoying sound imo.
    if you want more midbass buy a midbass driver.

what kind of HU do you have? and can you mess with an EQ or can you turn turn your treble/bass up and down. an correctly set eq can make a WORLD of difference.
    Last edited by Torgus; 12-06-2006 at 05:02 PM.

2003 Maxima: Bodykit, 19'' Rims, Alarm, Eclipse AVN5500 DVD/NAV, Rainbow Profi Vandiums(front), Boston pro60s(rear doors), 2 12'' Sealed Type Rs, 0 guage, HiFonics & Diamond Amps, Optima, Suspension Work, Cleared 8k HIDs w/ DDE Angel Eyes, 8k HID fogs, Berk Intake, Phenolic Intake Spacers, Greddy SS Exhaust, Custom 2 Tone Leather Interior, Radar Detector, bunch of other stuff...oh and only 40k miles

MAXIMA.ORG

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I don't know about that , strong mid and midbass can pound on your chest

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
    ok feeling it in your chest is from SUBWOOFERS. there is no component set that you will EVER feel in your chest. they arn't made to do that. make your ears bleed yes. thumping in your chest no.

my CDTs are very bright.

is your gain set correctly or did you half *** it?
    tweeters positioned correctly?
    doors deadened?

if you want bright as in metal tweeter sound buy some titanium tweets from CDT. silk are for SQ and better at imaging. metal tweeters make bright harsh annoying sound imo.
    actually i never felt the punch in my chest really from subs, its all been from my mids. IIRC that kick you feel in the chest is like 100-200hz which is midbass, not subbass

VOA_NIGHTMARE, Blados, frankga2, allenzo, bamaboy x2, Crown_amps, violentrapture, adio x3, bumpin_blazer, fi car audio, haunther, sbcaprice305 x2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

turn off you sub amps and try and find that chest feeling.

the feeling is caused from what?
    air pressure levels changing in your car from the speaker's cone moving the air in your car's compartment.
    your telling me your front midrange speakers move enough to create noticable phsyical pressure on your chest? they must have alot of excursion...

edit: this guy has midrange speakers. not midbass. i suppose if you have a strong pounding midbass driver you could feel something. maybe two of those m6s getting a buck fifty each or something...but from a midrange no way.

2003 Maxima: Bodykit, 19'' Rims, Alarm, Eclipse AVN5500 DVD/NAV, Rainbow Profi Vandiums(front), Boston pro60s(rear doors), 2 12'' Sealed Type Rs, 0 guage, HiFonics & Diamond Amps, Optima, Suspension Work, Cleared 8k HIDs w/ DDE Angel Eyes, 8k HID fogs, Berk Intake, Phenolic Intake Spacers, Greddy SS Exhaust, Custom 2 Tone Leather Interior, Radar Detector, bunch of other stuff...oh and only 40k miles

MAXIMA.ORG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

my sub doesnt really do that, i have a trunk so that might be part of it but when i installed my comps i definitely felt it more.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The doors are completely lined with Raamat also. I know I wont completely feel the pound but in general it just doesn't seem to have a lot to it. I dont know the audio terms that well but from what it sounds like I do want something more detailed or brighter. I really want the guitar and drums to stand out more if that helps haha. I know I'm not much help here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you have an EQ??
    Are your gains set correctly??

MAXIMA.ORG

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast